PDA

View Full Version : procharger on passenger side?

JimM
05-14-2007, 02:23 PM
Does bracketry exist to mount a procharger on the passenger side of a gen1 small block?

I'm in the very early stages of thinking a blower could be fun. My car is a 68, short water pump, drivers side alternator and power steering, and conventional fan and alluminum custom shroud. "So far" my thoughts haven't gone beyond 8 psi and no intercooler. My motor will take that as it is.

Can we hang that big sucker on the wrong side of my motor and so not mess up everything I've all ready done?

Blown353
05-14-2007, 02:33 PM
It's easy enough to fab your own brackets... and they will probably be stouter than Procharger's anyways. :lol: I don't think ATI makes a PS-side bracket.

As long as you aren't turning the blower around you would be able to use a standard rotation model.

There are a couple of considerations to putting the supercharger on the passenger side. One, you'll have to place the tensioner on the "slack" side of the belt, which on a PS-side installation will be the bottom of the belt. Two, the exducer housing / air outlet will also be pointed in a direction that won't be as conducive to a blowthrough carb setup as the driver's side mount is-- i.e. with the air outlet on top, it will be pointed towards the passenger side fender. If you spin it around to point up and towards the carb, it may interfere with the head/valvecover and require you to push the supercharger forward more, which isn't a good idea when it comes to stress on the crank snout.

You'll probably be on your own for a crank pulley as well, as AFAIK Procharger does not make short waterpump crank pulleys. Just remember to keep the SC belt as close to the crank as you can to minimize stress on the crank snout.

JimM
05-14-2007, 10:59 PM
It's easy enough to fab your own brackets...
Easy for you, perhaps. I wouldn't even know where to buy a chunk of alluminum that big, and I sure don't have a CNC machine in my garage to whittle it into a bracket.

Maybe some closeup pics of the unit and bracketry?
Somebody's got to make a pass side mount setup, Chevy built short pump / drivers side alternator car for almost 15 years...

novaracer
05-15-2007, 07:37 AM
I have never seen or heard of a pass side procharger bracket....
I would suggest getting the drivers side and moving power steering/alt.
I am in the same boat as you (wanting to do somthing that they do not make) I am putting a F1r on my 68 nova w/sb that has power steering and alt (had drivers side alt before)...my problem is I dislike v-belts and am putting a 6 rib to drive the alt/ps/water pump and a 50mm cog for blower....Procharger was no help what so ever for me. I am getting close just had to make some spacers and barrow a Ford cog pully for mock up. ASP is going to make me a custom lower pully.

I agree making pass brackets would be a major challange, another thing I would worry about is the discharge would be close to the inerfender...

BC

mdprovee
05-15-2007, 08:59 AM
I have never seen or heard of a pass side procharger bracket....
I would suggest getting the drivers side and moving power steering/alt.
I am in the same boat as you (wanting to do somthing that they do not make) I am putting a F1r on my 68 nova w/sb that has power steering and alt (had drivers side alt before)...my problem is I dislike v-belts and am putting a 6 rib to drive the alt/ps/water pump and a 50mm cog for blower....Procharger was no help what so ever for me. I am getting close just had to make some spacers and barrow a Ford cog pully for mock up. ASP is going to make me a custom lower pully.

I agree making pass brackets would be a major challange, another thing I would worry about is the discharge would be close to the inerfender...

BC

Check with Frank at Prodigy, he might be able to help. I am running the March system, and he is helping me out.

JimM
05-15-2007, 09:49 AM
another thing I would worry about is the discharge would be close to the inerfender...

BC
I was thinking / hoping that I would be able to reclock the output of the blower so it points up and toward the center of the car. With my luck it would hit the valvecover...

'course I could always bite the bullet and go forward to an IC, that would eliminate any issues.

A search shows Paxton makes a pass side mount (for early mustangs...lol) so it must be doable.

It seems real hard to get info, at least online.

rich-allen
05-15-2007, 09:52 AM
I'm sure for the write amount of money they could mount it anywhere you need it.
They actually have a picture (website) of a center mounted PC on a chevy.

Rich

Speedster
05-15-2007, 02:13 PM
It is much easier (cheaper) to move an alternator to the passenger side than a Procharger. Most kits are made to clear the low mount PS unit. You can also get a smaller aftermarket PS pump if need be.

JimM
05-15-2007, 02:41 PM
It is much easier (cheaper) to move an alternator to the passenger side than a Procharger. Most kits are made to clear the low mount PS unit. You can also get a smaller aftermarket PS pump if need be.
Not giving up that easy...certainly not trashing fancy pulleys, alluminum water pump, custom shroud & alluminum alternator bracket, and then have to rewire the car?

Think I'd rather use NAAAWS!

JimM
05-15-2007, 07:30 PM
I found a picture!

And that darned bracket is just a big flat hunk of alluminum, attached to the head with long bolts and spacers!

There is absolutely no reason on god's green earth that that thing can't be bolted to the passenger side head, after rearranging some of the mounting bolt locations. The short water pump arrangment can be dealt with be adjusting the spacer length. ALL of my accesories are one the other side, so no problem there.

When I try to put the blower on it, what will it hit?
Will it be a problem running the blower "upside down"?
Actually I suppose it would rotate 90 degrees rather than a full 180.
http://home.comcast.net/~procharged69/pictures/blower/bkt_brace.jpg

Blown353
05-15-2007, 07:41 PM
Hey, that's my picture! :lol:

As far as orientation of the supercharger, you need to specify that to Procharger when you order so they can put the oil aereation gear in the right location in the case and also put the dipstick & drain plug in the right location.

The "F" series brackets are a little more complex (and stiffer) than the D/P series as shown in my picture as they use two aluminum plates bolted together via standoffs.

Actually, just flipping the bracket over probably will not work as there is a counterbored area on the front side for the tensioner, and when you flip the bracket over it will be completely in the wrong location since the "slack" side of the belt is opposite when the SC is mounted on the passenger side.

Still, that's why I said it would be a "piece of cake" to make a new one. You can make a mockup out of wood if you have to and have one made from that pattern if you can't do it yourself, it's so simple it shouldn't cost very much.

JimM
05-15-2007, 07:48 PM
yes indeed, that's your picture! I just reread the post and realized that, I actually hit your link on another site!

I just snet you a pm, I'd appreciate it much if you could keep working with me on this.

JimM
05-15-2007, 08:00 PM
Here's the space I have to work with. I can space the fan forward another inch, that shoul leave me room for the blower belt. It's 6" from the front face of the head to the front of the existing pulley.

camcojb
05-15-2007, 08:21 PM
I can't recall ever seeing a Procharger with a mechanical fan. If you get rid of it and the shroud you have tons of room.

I know that's what you're trying to avoid, just my two cents. Electric will make everything way easier, and with the correct one will out-cool that mechanical, especially at idle.

Jody

JimM
05-15-2007, 08:32 PM
Took you long enough to chime in on this, Jody!

But I like my mechanical fan, and my alluminum shroud. Hard to imagine such a simple device could be so "unusual" these days, and it does cool really really well. She runs at 180, period.

Another inch of spacer will buy me the room for the belt.

Maybe I should just start over with a 69 Camaro?
Naaaa, everyone (except Steve!!) has one of them.

JimM
05-16-2007, 07:03 PM
At Jody's suggestion, I talked to Scot back east somewhere (he had some to do with the blown chevelle above too.) and he says it'd doable, for not much more $$$ than the standard ATI setup. We will see....

Blown353
05-17-2007, 12:50 AM
At Jody's suggestion, I talked to Scot back east somewhere (he had some to do with the blown chevelle above too.) and he says it'd doable, for not much more $$$ than the standard ATI setup. We will see....

Ah, that would be Scott at SDCE in Rhode Island. I bought all my stuff from him per Jody's recommendation. Great guy, I still want to fly out to Rhode Island one of these days to meet him face to face.

He has done passenger side setups before-- I believe he's running the SC on his Challenger on the passenger side and I know he's done a couple of Pontiacs that way.

Scott is the man when it comes to making the serpentine belts live on a Procharger because of his GM spring tensioner & idler pulley retrofits. I'm still using the original 8-rib belt that came with my kit at 15 psi, I know guys who can't even get a reliable 10psi out of a 12-rib belt with the stock ATI tensioner and have to change the belts every month or so because of slippage.

3kidsnotime
05-17-2007, 11:33 AM
I have done it a few times, You need a mirrored bracket for the tensioner, and reclock the blower housing but you will end up with some ugly tube routing getting it directed back to the carb hat. As far as running a fan thats no problem I recently did Mike Randalls 65 300, with a 440 and running a fan, you can see it here http://powertvonline.com/dynomax/ He is current in the lead on the dynomax power challenge. Good Luck with the project.

HWYSTR455
08-03-2007, 08:49 AM
Since Pontiacs have specific alt & PS brackets, passenger side mounting is near mandatory, fyi. Mine are made from plate steel, which makes them more compact. If interested, I'll post a pic when I get home tonight.

It's true too that the output will face the fender, though I plan to turn it to about 7 or 8 o'clock, go forward to an intercooler, so it's not a big deal to me.

The tensioner is a concern, though can be overcome.

You could face the output to about 1 or 2 o'clock, and go right into the carb/throttle body, with little effort...

JimM
08-04-2007, 11:15 PM
I'd love to see pics of your setup. Can you post em here, or just email em to me. email is in my profile.