PDA

View Full Version : Twin Intercoolers vs. Single

Flash68
03-27-2007, 02:09 AM
More intercooler discussion here. I searched and could not find any discussion on this topic so here is my thread.

We (my builder and I) are thinking of doing twin IC's instead of a single for a few reasons.

-to be a little different than most
-for an aesthetically pleasing look (to me)
-to line up with the air vents in the lower valance I want to run

Now, this is what I could not find anything on. Is there a disadvantage to this except maybe a little added cost? I see some ProCharger kits (I saw a C5 kit) use twin IC's. Is this is less efficient than running a larger single IC? Maybe the C5 kit used them out of necessity and less space under the hood?

Any insight is appreciated. FYI, I have the ProCharger D1SC.

Diesel77
03-27-2007, 07:01 AM
I think the only real way to measure efficiency would be from inlet temps and flow and or from dyno pulls using a single and then a dual IC set up. But then again unless it was in your car and driving the temps would be different being as the air hitting your ICs would vary on both set ups going thru your grill, or wherever the clean air is coming from. If your ICs are getting good air and they are sufficient to support each turbo's HP and or desired boost, then I dont think you should have any efficiency problems. There is no real way to test this for any application unless you run a single IC in your car and get some real data and then install 2 dedicated ICs for each turbo and check inlet temps and backpressures to see if the single or dual ICs cause a loss in turbo efficiency due to higher back pressures and or a loss of HP.

camcojb
03-27-2007, 09:54 AM
As above, tough to say without testing both combos on your vehicle. But the idea of two vs one should not be an issue at all as long as each intercooler is efficient enough to not be a restriction and remove the amount of heat required for the combo. In other words, splitting one into two should not be a disadvantage, as long as they're the proper build and size. The problem may be that to get two twins as efficient as a single may require very large twins, and they won't fit.

Jody

deuce_454
03-27-2007, 11:18 AM
well the eficiency of the intercooler is determined by the area and mass and speed of the air passing over the surface (both being a sum of many factors) but lets for the sake of argument asume that you were first to try and run a large single intercooler partially hidden by a valance.. and were then to saw it in perfect halves (with an infinitely thin saw) and re mounted the two halves in better airflow... then youd be better off efficiency wise.. also the total area of the intercooler piping should be greater when running two instead of one.. also you should have shorter combined length of the pipes...

but in all honesty, on a twin turbo setup, you have the capacity to over power any chassy.. regardles óf intercoolæer configuration, so the answer in the real world is propably that you wont know the difference driving the car... and besides if you like two intercoolers... run two! its your car, you can do whateher you like (cool huh?)

Flash68
03-27-2007, 11:24 PM
Thanks for the quick feedback guys. I at least feel okay about the possibility of running the twins now, and as much as I want maximum power and efficiency, it I sacrificed a little power (that I wouldn't know about anyway because I won't be dynoing both setups) then it wouldn't be the end of the world...

I may have found a great deal on a slightly used twin setup with plumbing, so that may be the ticket.

thanks again!

californiacuda
03-28-2007, 12:42 AM
water/meth injection

Flash68
03-28-2007, 01:03 AM
water/meth injection

Funny.... water injection is what I am replacing.

Blown353
03-28-2007, 02:12 PM
Funny.... water injection is what I am replacing.

I'd suggest keeping the water injection in addition to the intercooler. I just finished adding an intercooler to my setup but I'm keeping the water injection-- however I've eliminated 1 of my water nozzles, previously I was running two.

The water does a great job at steam cleaning carbon deposits out of the combustion chambers and reducing peak cylinder pressures & EGT's. With an intercooler you aren't relying on the water to do all the intake temp reduction (so you can use less water) but it is still very beneficial and will help drop the temps even further.

Flash68
03-28-2007, 07:28 PM
I'd suggest keeping the water injection in addition to the intercooler. I just finished adding an intercooler to my setup but I'm keeping the water injection-- however I've eliminated 1 of my water nozzles, previously I was running two.

The water does a great job at steam cleaning carbon deposits out of the combustion chambers and reducing peak cylinder pressures & EGT's. With an intercooler you aren't relying on the water to do all the intake temp reduction (so you can use less water) but it is still very beneficial and will help drop the temps even further.

Hmm... never considered that. I have only seen others run one or the other. I will consider doing that. I may followup with you on further advice, as I know you know what you are talking about, and I really don't! :_paranoid

thanks!

undertaker
04-09-2007, 11:12 AM
single front mount intercoolers with teh c5 procharger setups far outshined the smaller twins in that application on stock motors, even more so with more boost and a bigger head unit.

as for the water injection I'd run it in addition to the intercooler, my vette with twins at 14.7 psi runs straight meth in addition to a large front mount intercooler, hell its added insurance because i run all of that on a 9.5 to 1 motor on 93 pump on the street, drag strip, and road courses even in 95 degree weather.

californiacuda
04-09-2007, 07:36 PM
Each form of forced induction has its own profile, the centrifugal sc has a torque and hp curve similar to turbos, roots sc make the most torque at low rpm but run out of umph at high rpm, screw type is similar to roots, but more efficient, turbos can take longer to spool up, but they come on almost too strong when they hit and have more top end.

I don't think any one is overall superior, just different.