PDA

View Full Version : Choosing A Turbo- Used Options?

Leadfoot1
02-27-2007, 07:57 PM
Guy's,

I have a friend who has 2 used Garrett T-04B Turbos that he picked up with some Monster Intercoolers from some 466 Tractor trucks.

I'm wondering if those units could be used (rebuilt?) in an nteresting street car application, be it SB or BB (Chev). I had this wild idea of a 406 or 434 and twins....He had picked 'em up awhile ago to build a tall deck 427 with them but never got around to it. He is a fabricator and builds race cars and pro street bikes and really is a good guy.(Not a really close friend but i've known him a long time and def thrust him).

I'm thinking more and more of a TT set up lately and am seing more parts show up (maybe because my interest is growing so i my attention might be greater).

Anyway, i don't really know about turbos but am reading everything i can find now and am ready to listen to any ideas to help build a custom system.

I'm not looking to put 10k into this alone, so please keep it recyclying yard styled

:morepower

Lead

Oh, if of any help he said i could get the T's for 250$ each and the Intercooler for 150$ Aside from being black, the intercooler is about 24" x 30" x maybe what? 3" thick? it has in and out of maybe 4 or 5 " (i did not measure anything as we just looked at talked ideas at this point.

HELP!!!

D Rock
02-27-2007, 08:29 PM
Not to sure about the turbos, but if you are going with a SBC based twin system look to schwartz performance. They make a nice set of manifolds for 1000 dollars, which is about as cheap as your going to get unless you want to sacrifice quality.

Leadfoot1
02-27-2007, 09:01 PM
Thanks D,

I was just reading another thread wher they we're mentionned. I hit Schwarts web site and yeah, they retail 1495$.

Nice. But don't cast manifolds restrict some vs custom built header style turbo manifolds? I also read the Extrude hone possibility....

:)
Lead.

deuce_454
02-27-2007, 11:52 PM
i have a pair of he schwartz manifolds in question and the insied of them is cavernous. according to jeff they have dynoed an sbc to well over 1000 horses with the manifolds.. infact for moderate preformance (below 800 horses) you are better off using log manifolds as you retain more heat, and thus more energy in the exhaust before the tyrbo.. the only problem i can forsee for your friend is that the schwartz, and banks manifolds for that matter are built for turbos with on-center exhaust housings, and not tangential flow like you will propably find on the diesel turbos.. tangential is supperior in flow and response by the way..

i would weld up a pair of manifolds in mild steel if it were me,

and T-04B isnt that far of for an SBC.. but could you post some specifics on them?

Leadfoot1
02-28-2007, 06:38 AM
Hey! That sounds like good news so far.
I'll try and get pics and better specs.

Thanks!

Lead.

stylEmon
02-28-2007, 06:49 PM
my mechanic makes real nice custom headers. they are completely fabricated, and coated. here is a pic ...

http://www.nothingained.com/turblown/Products/2jzsupra/2jmani/2jztitle.jpg

http://www.nothingained.com/turblown/Products/fc3s/fcmani/fcmanititle.jpg

you could also call and ask them about picking out a turbo for your specific application.

www.turblown.net

Leadfoot1
02-28-2007, 07:55 PM
HAHA!

I found this!

http://www.turbofast.com.au/javacalc.html

Very interesting! I made 934 HP with my combination! (350 ci, twins and 20 pounds)

So cool! I'm going back!

Lead