PDA

View Full Version : LS-7/Speartech/Racepak Question

Ummgawa
02-26-2007, 10:46 AM
C'mon man I need some help here....and you are married!!!

Ok, so I have gone over to the other side as far as LS motors and am currently shopping for an LS-7. I also wanted to run the Racepak dash with a Speartech harness. For ease of install and the fact that I really like the Racepak set up for its simplicity(relatively speaking of course).John(at Speartech) and I have gone back and forth a time or two and he has a question concerning sending units, data acquisition and the Racepak unit:

from his email:

I would have to know more about the sending units(LS2 & 7) though, as none of these engines use direct gauge sending units from the factory. All of the late model LS2 and LS7 engines take PCM data and send it to the factory gauge cluster thru a serial data line. Are you saying that's how this unit operates?

Here is where I need help-

1. Can I get a heads up on the factory sending units and their operation (or function) and how is this info transmitted to the ECM.(I hope I am asking the right question)

2. Does the Racepak set up recieve its info from a serial data line AND is their a diagram or schematic for the Racepak set up as far as plugs and ports on the rear of the unit. John bascially stated that if he can get the data on the plugs (There are 4 stations on the back of the Racepak) he could incorporate it into the Speartech unit that is a plug and play for the LS-7.

If their is indeed a better way-tell it. The MEFI4 unit has the data to start and run the LS-7, but how about if you run headers and a "Hot Cam". Is that a limitation of the MEFI4 unit vs the Speartech ECM? IE adjustability via programming through soft ware.

I hope I am not coming across as a dummy here, but I am definately more of an old schooler Fortran/Cobal thinker trying to change his ways to this new fangled modern tekknologie. If their is a better way- Please tell me and be as gentle as possible as I have a delicate constitution. I am not calling for a pissing match this vs. that mind you, just strait info based on experience and installation.

4mm
06-12-2007, 11:58 AM
Bump, this is a good question, can anybody help out?

camcojb
06-12-2007, 12:59 PM
The racepack is "plug and pray" according to Stielow. :D Kind of tough to get programmed from a logic standpoint, but works well once completed. The MEFI4 has the tuneability for the cam. Mark has the MEFI4 and Racepack joined so I know it can be done.

Jody

XcYZ
06-12-2007, 03:11 PM
Mark told me that the Racepak and the MEFI 4 communicate, so it's not as simple as hooking wires to it.

Bowtieracing
07-14-2008, 07:30 AM
Anything new Ummgawa ? I saw at Stuarts cars is set for racepak ( at DSEs site )

James OLC
07-14-2008, 08:04 AM
"supposedly" MSD has made the system more plug and play with their new dash when using the MEFI4 harness. Unfortunately, they don't have a street version available yet, and the tech that I have received from MSD is inconsistent enough to be worrysome.

I guess I'll let you know soon what happens when we try it.

Stuart Adams
07-14-2008, 08:57 AM
Running the new IQ3 Racepak with an LS7 and everything works well except the tach. Still working the bugs out of that, but racepack has an easy solution that DSE is doing now.

Love the IQ3 dash though.

I'll let U know as soon as its fixed.

Bowtieracing
07-14-2008, 12:56 PM
Running the new IQ3 Racepak with an LS7 and everything works well except the tach. Still working the bugs out of that, but racepack has an easy solution that DSE is doing now.

Love the IQ3 dash though.

I'll let U know as soon as its fixed.

Thanks Stuart!!! Since you are "insider" to DSE can you ask if they can offer it as an plug and pra..play package :cool:

Stuart Adams
07-14-2008, 05:55 PM
I'll get the scoop.

Stuart Adams
07-15-2008, 03:31 PM
Part from MSD ordered. Distributorless ignition driver. Once its in and running I'll follow up.

Bowtieracing
07-16-2008, 01:44 AM
Part from MSD ordered. Distributorless ignition driver. Once its in and running I'll follow up.

Thanks Stuart!!! Is your racapak version wich displays all info at the same time ? Like speed , rpms, temperatures? Or is it neccesary to choose one ?

Stuart Adams
07-16-2008, 07:28 AM
Its the new IQ3. RPM, Speed, water, oil, fuel, all at once. Toggle to get volts. Pretty slick little unit. Plus we have low oil light programmed, and high water temp warining light also programmed just to be safe. Also a light for engine codes that may come up, like a check engine light in a new car.

Bowtieracing
07-16-2008, 02:37 PM
Hello Stuart, one question just to be sure. Are you using stock gm MEFI4 pcm with the IQ3 Racepak ?

Stuart Adams
07-16-2008, 03:36 PM
Yes. :yes:

Bowtieracing
07-17-2008, 01:07 AM
Yes. :yes:

!!!!!!!!:thumbsup: