PDA

View Full Version : Short burst of NOS to spool Turbo's?

Totsabe
02-02-2007, 11:06 PM
I thought I heard a rumor that a very short squirt of Nitrous would make the Turbo's spool up faster. My memory is a little fuzzy, but I think it was actually into the exhaust after combustion.

Anyone hear anything similar? :omg:

camcojb
02-02-2007, 11:40 PM
pretty common, though most inject it normally.

Jody

Totsabe
02-03-2007, 09:04 AM
pretty common, though most inject it normally.

Jody

Inject it normally, but just at the initial tip in for a second or two?

orange88
02-03-2007, 09:29 AM
some racers shoot co2 in to the turbo . maybe thats what your thinking of

deuce_454
02-03-2007, 09:45 AM
the CO2 is sprayed on the intercooler... all youd need to kill the lag is a single fogger noscle.. say 50-75 Hp and wire it to come on at wot, and turn off when boost hits 5 pounds...

Nevis
02-06-2007, 08:03 PM
I've heard of this in rally cars. They inject nitrous into the inlet of the turbine to keep the turbo spooled during shifts, and its probably not enough to damage anything because the shifts are pretty quick.

deuce_454
02-07-2007, 10:35 AM
that is propably true... but totally against the rules.. :D on a turbospecifig EFI like autronic there is a feature called ALS, anti lag system.. that retards timimg and increases fuel delivery... this what gives the tell tale POP's in the exhaust... his "exploding fuel-air mix" in the exhaust manifold keeps RPM's on the turbine when throttle is lifted..

id just get a NOS, wet system that comes on at WOT and kill it with a boost switch... that way all you have to do is install the kit, and engineer the controlls (buy a micro-switch and one pressire switch)

slow4dr
02-07-2007, 12:00 PM
Using a hobbes switch with N20 and turbos has been around a while. If you want a tight converter and a big turbo this option might be your saving grace. :yes:

I've heard of this in rally cars. They inject nitrous into the inlet of the turbine to keep the turbo spooled during shifts, and its probably not enough to damage anything because the shifts are pretty quick.

Actually rally cars use what is called "anti-lag". They actually inject fuel into the exhaust manifold via secondary injectors. This allows it to keep the turbo spinning even when off the throttle in turns. That is the banging and popping you hear when they let off the gas. Take a look at a factory Mitsu EVO VIII exhaust manifold you will see cast-in bosses to do this.

Like deuce already mentioned most standalones have a similar feature just without additional injectors.

Nevis
02-07-2007, 06:17 PM
My mistake:rolleyes: I did manage to find a car that uses nitrous to help spool the turbos, though I think its like how everyone else says, and not sprayed into the turbo itself.

http://www.turbomagazine.com/tech/0202tur_norwoods_racing_funnycar_integra/

http://videos.streetfire.net/search/4000/0/ef72972b-1543-4c67-a00e-052c936f472c.htm

69 L88 Camaro
02-07-2007, 08:05 PM
There is a guy that posts on here that does everything with nitrous oxide you could think of, and some things you haven't.Maybe he'll give you some insite on his syle of Nos, turbo spool time assist. What he knows is for him to give away.