PDA

View Full Version : Twin Turbo 350

brianjw4
12-20-2006, 02:13 PM
I'm leaning towards doing a twin turbo setup in my 69 camaro and I have a few questions about the motor as a foundation.

I'm planning on using a vortec 350 small block and will likely build from the ground up. I'm wondering what special parts i need for the build. Steel crank is a given, but what about rods, pistons, and heads and compression ratio?

jonny51
12-20-2006, 02:56 PM
Here is my opinion

Forged crank
Forged rods
Forged pistons,good idea to coat them too.
Compression 8.1-9.1
Turbo spec cam
Heads any decent flowing head (from what I read and was told there not as important in a boosted motor as N/A motor)
If you are running a carb you need a blow thru type.

brianjw4
12-20-2006, 03:44 PM
Great. Thanks for the input. I do have one other question as far as fuel delivery, if I use a carb will I need a pump and regulator setup?

I am definitely contemplating a holley EFI setup as well.

nitrorocket
12-20-2006, 04:35 PM
Are you stuck on that motor?? An ls1 can be had for $2500 turn key with duel injection and all. They are all aluminum, have 400 hp stock, and will make 650 hp without opening a valve cover if you bolt on turbos.

Just food for thought.

rwhite692
12-20-2006, 04:42 PM
You may want to check out the Banks site for more info:

http://www.bankspower.com/Tech_twinturbo.cfm

Download and read the Twin-Turbo Power Guide (.pdf file).

Specifically, pages 26-27 deal with engine component recommendations. -Rob

deuce_454
12-20-2006, 04:51 PM
Are you stuck on that motor?? An ls1 can be had for $2500 turn key with duel injection and all. They are all aluminum, have 400 hp stock, and will make 650 hp without opening a valve cover if you bolt on turbos.

Just food for thought.

well a 2500 ls1 is more like 305 Hp, and it wont last forever without forged pistons at 650 Hp... but i am doing exactly that combo my self, schwartz can make you a pair of TT ls1 headers for about 1k

brianjw4
12-20-2006, 04:54 PM
Thanks for the link.

I have thought about the LS1, a lot. But if I do that then I have to use a new tranny and the ls1 conversion seems like it's a bit of work. I currently have a muncie trans in the car and was planning on using that. The ls1 is very tempting though.

boonedog
12-20-2006, 05:05 PM
there is nothing wrong with a good old 350,tons of parts available at resonable prices, and you can build them bullet proof.

nitrorocket
12-20-2006, 06:23 PM
well a 2500 ls1 is more like 305 Hp, and it wont last forever without forged pistons at 650 Hp... but i am doing exactly that combo my self, schwartz can make you a pair of TT ls1 headers for about 1k

The motors make closer to 400 hp at the crank in stock form. Head and cam takes it up to 500. :D

Also, ther is no "conversion" . You bolt it in with the correct motor mounts, hook up your electric fuel pump, get some radiator hoses, conncet the wiring, and start it up! Far easier then an aftermarket EFI setup. :)

brianjw4
12-20-2006, 09:03 PM
Sounds easier than it is I'm sure, but still definitely an option on the table. I've read quite a bit about guys that have done the conversion in the first gens and I know what has be done for the LS1 to go into my 69. Not sure yet.

What I am sure about is that I want twin turbos :D

DRJDVM's '69
12-20-2006, 09:50 PM
The Muncie wont last long either....

nitrorocket
12-20-2006, 09:58 PM
Turbos make big power wasy, A trans needs to be pretty stout!
On my current lowest possible boost setting at 10 psi, my 3,800lb car still went 130 mph through the traps at the 1/4 mile dragstrip! That has gotta be about 700 hp at the crank. On "low" boost. :yes:

What are you going to do with the car? drag? Road race? show?

rwhite692
12-21-2006, 12:25 AM
The Muncie wont last long either....

...Now there's an understatement, Ned! :lol:

brianjw4
12-21-2006, 08:29 AM
My poor muncie :D. I guess I should plunk down some money for a tremec.

What I really want is a nice driver that I can enjoy and have the cool factor under the hood. The car already has the upgraded front suspension and brakes. Now I'm looking to do the body work and start planning the powerplant.

I've built plenty of fast small and big block motors, I wan't something different with this car. Smooth AND fast. The pro touring cars I have seen on this site and others are just amazing and I'd like to go that direction.

Here's what the car looks like now:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2317853/1

brianjw4
12-21-2006, 08:38 AM
Turbos make big power wasy, A trans needs to be pretty stout!
On my current lowest possible boost setting at 10 psi, my 3,800lb car still went 130 mph through the traps at the 1/4 mile dragstrip! That has gotta be about 700 hp at the crank. On "low" boost. :yes:

What are you going to do with the car? drag? Road race? show?

That's awesome. I had a '68 SS 396 Chevelle, I wish I still had that one.

I just started looking at turbo setups over the last couple of weeks and I can't believe the power they create. I'm half tempted to turbo my F-150 too.

ALLSPEED01
12-21-2006, 08:38 PM
Just figured I would try and give you a little more insight into the requirements for your twin turbo project. The engine components that you select need to coincide with the H.P. and boost levels that you are trying to achieve. If you are planning on making more than 600 H.P. wich is very easy to do with the right set-up you should consider all forged internals as well as an aftermarket block. I am not saying this is a must do, it just depends on how much you like to push the envelope. You can easily make over 1000 H.P. with a blow through carb set up running around 20lbs of boost with twin 66 mm extended tip turbos. To do this you should also consider running at least a good set of MLS head gaskets and ARP head studs. If you are going to try and run more than 25-30 PSI of boost you will need to o-ring your block and heads and run copper head gaskets. Weather you go with a carb set-up or EFI you will need to upgrade your fuel pump and have a boost refferenced regulator. It is very important that you add 1 lb. of fuel pressure for every lb. of boost. You also may want to consider running an intercooler preferrably an air to water because it is much more efficient and you can fit it in a very small area. You can do an air to air a little bit easier it just depends again on your ultimate goal. You can go in the sponsor news area of this forum and see pics of our TT kit under the heading new tt kit . I will be posting more pics of the twin air to water intercoolers that I developed for my 69 camaro they are pretty trick. I hope some of this info helps.

KUL FIR CHICK N
12-21-2006, 08:43 PM
If you plan to make some big HP #'s, check out my post in for sale. I'm letting loose of my Bowtie block sbc built for big boost.

Ryan

brianjw4
12-22-2006, 09:53 AM
Honestly, I think 600 horse ought to be plenty. :)

jonny51
12-22-2006, 07:10 PM
Honestly, I think 600 horse ought to be plenty. :)

That will be a piece of cake with turbos.

Diesel77
12-28-2006, 07:48 AM
Just build whatever fits your financial budget and horsepower desires. Turbos will make alot of HP even with a small cube motor. 350 = about as cheap as you can get from an aftermarket parts perspective. You can use a blow thru carb instead of going FI and will save you lots of money as well.