PDA

View Full Version : manifold conversion?

67ragtp
11-29-2006, 03:16 PM
Im looking for someone that does quality work to convert my merlin single plane intake to fuel injection, anyone have a guy that they think is good? Any one other than holley making a single plane intake already set up with FI bungs and rail supports?

Thanks Rich

camcojb
11-29-2006, 03:29 PM
Im looking for someone that does quality work to convert my merlin single plane intake to fuel injection, anyone have a guy that they think is good? Any one other than holley making a single plane intake already set up with FI bungs and rail supports?

Thanks Rich

Edelbrock also makes EFI-ready manifolds. http://www.force-efi.com/ can modify your manifold.

Jody

JamesD
11-30-2006, 01:38 AM
This is the guy I plan on using:

http://www.hotrodsolutions.net/IntakesEFI.html

nitrorocket
11-30-2006, 09:04 AM
Do you have a tig welder? It is pretty simple!

Basically you just lay out the center of the port, have a machine shop punch the holes, weld in the bungs, and punch holes on the same centers in the flat side of your fuel rail stock.

Otherwise start surfing around online.

67ragtp
11-30-2006, 11:05 AM
I dont have a Tig welder only Mig. Thanks for the suggestions, edelbrock sells the EFI victor junior, I hope the manifold performs as well as my single plane Merlin. The conversion will probably cost me more than buying the new manifold with rails at $377.00. Not to many options with efi single plane manifolds.

Rich

nitrorocket
11-30-2006, 01:28 PM
From what I have heard, the edelbrock Victor Jr. will perform better then the Merlin. Would be nice to pick up a little power with the Edelbrock, because fuel injection will not give any more peak power.

67ragtp
11-30-2006, 03:03 PM
Wow thats encouraging, since I really did not expect to pick up anything but driveability, economy and perhaps better throttle response from the EFI. Im constantly asking myself why I want this. I really want to drive the new car some long distances(perhaps thats the reason). I just dont get the killer costs of this induction system, its no longer new technology. Im really not one to bi*** about the money we invest in these cars, but close to 4k to get the EFI going without the fuel pump just seems gross. Its got to come down eventually, especially if they want to sell it like a 750 cfm holley square bore. Sorry for the rant- Thanks again for all your input, Rich

camcojb
11-30-2006, 03:20 PM
Probably won't make any more peak power than the correctly sized and tuned carb, but will have a broader power range, more low end torque (broader torque range also) and the ability of better mileage once tuned.

Jody

67ragtp
11-30-2006, 05:31 PM
Jody,

My knowledge of efi is very basic although I have a very good understanding of what a carb engine wants, I plan on using the FAST XFI ecu. I will probably buy most of the hardware through Frank(prodigy) and he said he should be able to get me close with a start up map. Can an EFI novice realistically get a good tune on the engine In order to get some mileage and good performance?

Rich

camcojb
11-30-2006, 06:36 PM
Jody,

My knowledge of efi is very basic although I have a very good understanding of what a carb engine wants, I plan on using the FAST XFI ecu. I will probably buy most of the hardware through Frank(prodigy) and he said he should be able to get me close with a start up map. Can an EFI novice realistically get a good tune on the engine In order to get some mileage and good performance?

Rich

I think so. The key to tuning is knowing what you're trying to accomplish. You seem to have that, so learning which keys to push and how to change the maps is relatively easy.

The good thing is that you're dealing with Frank, and between him and his tuning guru you'll be in good hands if you get stuck.

Jody

Hammered
11-30-2006, 10:38 PM
Can an EFI novice realistically get a good tune on the engine In order to get some mileage and good performance?

I did it with no prior experience and with a non-comunicative vendor. Just make sure to get a wide band O2.