PDA

View Full Version : World Products V Dart Little "m"

mazspeed
11-08-2006, 05:57 PM
Ok fellas. I am looking around at crate engines from World products 427 small block, Scott Sharioff 434 small block and Smeding's 427 Dart small block.
Here are the pages for each but Smedings 427.
Worlds (http://www.worldcastings.com/prods_pages/101008.htm)
Ultra streets (http://www.ultrastreet.net/434_classic.asp)

Now I'm going to the Goodguys show this weekend to check out Smeding's 427. His is the most expensive, as the taxes and everything else, but he said he would work a deal with me. I'm also going to look at other engines there as well.
The World's 427 seems to be the best priced and the Ultra Street has the most power and also a good price. All seemed to be helpful. Now without seeing the specs on the Smeding engine, what would you guys go with? I'm still looking around for a good deal as I need to make a decision by Monday so that I don't keep CAR held up on my project and others that they have going on.

camcojb
11-08-2006, 06:19 PM
Smeding is local to me. I have never used them for anything, but the locals I've spoken with are less than impressed.

Jody

mazspeed
11-08-2006, 06:25 PM
Hey Jody, thanks for the response. What did they say about them that you remember? I'm trying to do all my homework before I made this kind of decision.

camcojb
11-08-2006, 06:31 PM
send me a pm.

ironworks
11-09-2006, 02:54 PM
My engine builder said that the advertised price of what ever engine will last about long enough to make a dyno pull at the hp they say but in order to get it to last the price becomes alot more. Almost more than his price.

Check out Jim Watkins ( 661 ) 861 9800 he is in Bakersfield.

He build some engine that are amazing. He does tons of Southwest tour stuff. He just did a 434 that put out 825 hp for Jesse James. I heard that thing on the dyno it was awesome. He is doing a 632 all aluminum Brodix block deal that will dyno at 800 hp for a 63 nova we are building for a detroit tigers pitcher.

Rodger

fatlife
11-09-2006, 03:00 PM
you need to hit this guy up
http://www.lewisracingengines.com/
tell him Cody sent you. You will be in very good hands. He doesn't make crate motors but has an inhouse dyno and is well known on the chevelles board. Tell him your HP goals and he will set you up. Wouldn't go any other way :thumbsup:

Beegs
11-09-2006, 05:32 PM
Click the Nelson button to your left.

rocketman
11-09-2006, 08:02 PM
One word....... Sharioff,You will never see any junk come from Sharioffs shop.

mazspeed
11-09-2006, 08:47 PM
I'm starting to lean more toward Shariroff motors but will see. I talked to Tom Nelson and his prices were way up there compared to everyone else. Ill chat with the others before I go to the show this weekend.

Blown353
11-09-2006, 09:08 PM
There's a reason World Products stuff is cheaper... do a search on the internet and spend the next week reading horror stories of improperly cast & machined blocks, bearing clearances on crate motors you can measure with a ruler, poor response to flat out denial of warranty service even when the engine failure was a result of careless assembly, and so forth.

My advice is to find a good local guy and go to him. Support will be much better and you can stop by and see what you are getting.

I'm usually not one for leghumping referrals but Cody's suggestion to call Mike is a good one. He knows his stuff, he is very quality-minded (it's basically a one-man shop up at his place and he has the equipment to do almost everything himself so he has total control over every step of the process), and he's very easy to work with. His prices are good too and he does not beat around the bush. If a part is crap he will flat out tell you and go the extra step and explain why-- even if it means he stays on the phone with you for an hour. He's a bit out of the way from you being in Campbell but he's not that far away and worth the drive IMO.

Mike may tell you to hit up the Santos' (S&S) in San Leandro... he used to work on & drive their Top Alcohol Dragster back in the day. They would certainly be closer to you.

I have also, like rocketman, never had back luck with anything out of Shafiroff's shop.

fatlife
11-09-2006, 11:13 PM
Call Mike, you'll get more detail attention towards a one off, compared to a crate motor, or special order. I understand you just want to buy something already done for you, but I'm sure Mike can arrange something. I'm sure you will find his prices to be upfront, honest, and a bargain for what you get.

mazspeed
11-09-2006, 11:30 PM
Call Mike, you'll get more detail attention towards a one off, compared to a crate motor, or special order. I understand you just want to buy something already done for you, but I'm sure Mike can arrange something. I'm sure you will find his prices to be upfront, honest, and a bargain for what you get.
Ill call him in the morning if I get a chance. I did like the website. That's pretty cool. Thanks again Cody.

mazspeed
11-09-2006, 11:32 PM
There's a reason World Products stuff is cheaper... do a search on the internet and spend the next week reading horror stories of improperly cast & machined blocks, bearing clearances on crate motors you can measure with a ruler, poor response to flat out denial of warranty service even when the engine failure was a result of careless assembly, and so forth.

My advice is to find a good local guy and go to him. Support will be much better and you can stop by and see what you are getting.

I'm usually not one for leghumping referrals but Cody's suggestion to call Mike is a good one. He knows his stuff, he is very quality-minded (it's basically a one-man shop up at his place and he has the equipment to do almost everything himself so he has total control over every step of the process), and he's very easy to work with. His prices are good too and he does not beat around the bush. If a part is crap he will flat out tell you and go the extra step and explain why-- even if it means he stays on the phone with you for an hour. He's a bit out of the way from you being in Campbell but he's not that far away and worth the drive IMO.

Mike may tell you to hit up the Santos' (S&S) in San Leandro... he used to work on & drive their Top Alcohol Dragster back in the day. They would certainly be closer to you.

I have also, like rocketman, never had back luck with anything out of Shafiroff's shop.

Yeah Ill call Mike and S&S tomorrow. I'm happy that they are in Northern California. I did want someone who built it to understand the crappy gas we California's have to put up with.

fatlife
11-09-2006, 11:58 PM
Good idea, even if you don't end up using him, I'm sure you'll get some good ideas and info from him either way. He's good people, will make you feel like good friends/family as soon as you get to know him. IF you do end up going with a crate motor company. I have only heard good things about sharifoff.

S+S from what I've heard is a killer shop, but I believe specialize in race motors and charge on the high end of the scale.

mazspeed
11-10-2006, 12:39 AM
Hey Cody. I called Mike expecting to leave a message and he picked up and chatted for a while. Problem being is that he is about 3-4 months away from making a motor for me and I need it ASAP. He's a good guy but he is backed up pretty big right now. I liked what he said and spitted out knowledge that was easy to listen too. I could tell right off that he's a quality guy, just bad timing I guess.

fatlife
11-10-2006, 01:04 AM
I had a feeling that would be the case. I would give sharifoff(sp?) a call if it were me.

mazspeed
11-10-2006, 01:14 AM
I had a feeling that would be the case. I would give sharifoff(sp?) a call if it were me.
I am, he has a few in stock, but I'm going to go to the show on Goodguys show on Saturday just in case I see a deal or a motor that I cannot refuse.