PDA

View Full Version : LSX in a chevelle....turbo questions

InMotionJosh
11-05-2006, 07:25 PM
I am thinking of putting a stroked LSX in my 70 chevelle. I am wanting forced induction of some type as well. My first thought was to run a procharger but I really dont want to mess with more belts and tensioners. My next thought is a custom turbo setup. I am thinking a single 76mm with a FMIC. My main question is does anyone make a header kit that will work and I can fab up the rest of the piping? I have seen several setups start with a set of shorty headers and one of them is flipped over and all the piping starts there. Any ideas or suggestions?

deuce_454
11-18-2006, 05:30 AM
well i think this answers your prayers.. http://www.ls1turbo.com.au/ttspecs.htm all you need now is the engine and the car to put it in...

camcojb
11-18-2006, 10:24 AM
well i think this answers your prayers.. http://www.ls1turbo.com.au/ttspecs.htm all you need now is the engine and the car to put it in...

Just realize that's setup to fit an 05 GTO chassis, so you'll be modding a lot of it to get it to fit your car. Not sure the manifolds will work either; they use the stock GTO exhaust manifolds turned around, but they may have clearance issues on the Chevelle.

Nelson Racing makes a set of headers that will fit the LSX and your 70 Chevelle; you could run twin turbos or a large single with them.

http://www.camcojb.com/malitude%20078.jpg

Jody

Stuart Adams
11-18-2006, 03:33 PM
Wow, what a motor. Hogan makes some beautiful stuff.

camcojb
11-18-2006, 03:41 PM
Wow, what a motor. Hogan makes some beautiful stuff.

Thanks Stuart, I agree.

Jody

deuce_454
11-19-2006, 08:22 AM
while i certainly agree that the nelson headers are absolutely beautifull, and the hogan intake a work of art, the GTO kit somhow struck me as being relatively easily adaptable.. but i stand corrected

Schwarts performance is BTW working on a cast set of LSx TT-headers to the best of my knowledge... perhaps one could give them a call and hear how far out in the future they are..

camcojb
11-19-2006, 10:39 AM
while i certainly agree that the nelson headers are absolutely beautifull, and the hogan intake a work of art, the GTO kit somhow struck me as being relatively easily adaptable.. but i stand corrected

Schwarts performance is BTW working on a cast set of LSx TT-headers to the best of my knowledge... perhaps one could give them a call and hear how far out in the future they are..

well, it may fit, but I had the APS twin turbo kit in my 05 GTO and those cars have completely different frame rails, suspension, etc. so I doubt it would fit. But it might.

Jody

nitrorocket
11-20-2006, 09:37 AM
The problem with the Chevelle is the steering shaft with an ls1. There is almost no clearance and the #7 tube had to be routed differently then the other tubes. Maybe I should make a few sets of headers just like mine for a twin turbo lsx Chevelle and sell them. :unibrow:

TT402LS1
11-20-2006, 11:25 AM
Im just starting the headers on my project. And yes, the streeing shaft is a pain in the a$$! Im trying to make the headers just the opposite of the Nelson ones. The turbos mount facing forward w/ the headers coming up into them. The down pipe will be over them, for what I hope to be a clean look. Right now just waiting for the piping to show up.

nitrorocket
11-20-2006, 11:38 AM
Like this? What are you making them out of?

camcojb
11-20-2006, 12:43 PM
Im just starting the headers on my project. And yes, the streeing shaft is a pain in the a$$! Im trying to make the headers just the opposite of the Nelson ones. The turbos mount facing forward w/ the headers coming up into them. The down pipe will be over them, for what I hope to be a clean look. Right now just waiting for the piping to show up.

My Nelson headers come up into the turbo with the downpipe above the headers and out down the firewall.

Jody

nitrorocket
11-20-2006, 01:20 PM
That is the only way to do it on our cars unless running a motor plate.

Dave95z28
11-20-2006, 06:18 PM
That is the only way to do it on our cars unless running a motor plate.Yours turned out very well. You should build a jig for them and start selling copies of yours.

Dave

TT402LS1
11-20-2006, 06:30 PM
Like this? What are you making them out of?

No. I didnt want to copy yours, even though its a very nice setup. The inlet(air intake) of my turbos will be facing forward. The exhaust inlet facing down. Headers come from the bottom, and the DP over them.

I was gonna do the pipes in 321 SS, but FI said mild steel is best for the street.(to prevent cracking) Plus, Im going to have everything ceramic coated as well.

TT402LS1
11-20-2006, 06:48 PM
My Nelson headers come up into the turbo with the downpipe above the headers and out down the firewall.

Jody
Are those cast "log" type manifolds? I want a header type set up, but a "log" type would be much easier.

camcojb
11-20-2006, 07:39 PM
Are those cast "log" type manifolds? I want a header type set up, but a "log" type would be much easier.

No, they are 321 stainless headers. This is a pic of the main header, but there's a second piece that mounts the turbos and wastegate, and on mine it sweeps up, turbo inlet facing forward so the downpipe easily goes over the top of the headers and out.

http://www.camcojb.com/malitude%20080.jpg

TT402LS1
11-21-2006, 07:43 AM
Oh, Im sorry. I met the headers on your TTLT1 Camaro project. :)

camcojb
11-21-2006, 09:36 AM
Oh, Im sorry. I met the headers on your TTLT1 Camaro project. :)

Those are Banks Turbo manifolds.

http://www.camcojb.com/twinturbo/IMG_0701.JPG

http://www.camcojb.com/twinturbo/IMG_0702.JPG

InMotionJosh
11-21-2006, 07:51 PM
So how much are those nelson headers? I only want to run a single turbo. It will be a fully forged 408 LSX motor in my Chevelle.

What are everyones thoughts on log type header/manifolds?

TT402LS1
11-22-2006, 07:45 AM
So how much are those nelson headers? I only want to run a single turbo. It will be a fully forged 408 LSX motor in my Chevelle.

What are everyones thoughts on log type header/manifolds?
Not everyone like the looks of them. But from a performace stand point, I dont think it makes a differance.

XcYZ
11-22-2006, 07:51 AM
TT402LS1, I was looking at your signature, do you have any pics? And where in SE WI are you?

TT402LS1
11-22-2006, 08:20 AM
TT402LS1, I was looking at your signature, do you have any pics? And where in SE WI are you?
Yes, I have some pics., but not very many.(cant figure how to post them. It keeps saying the pic is too large) Going to be taking more while Im fabbing the headers.
I live in the very SW corner of Wisconsin, 5 min from Dubuque, IA

XcYZ
11-22-2006, 08:33 AM
Cool, a few hours from me.

If you want, e-mail your pics to me, I can resize them for you. [email protected]

TT402LS1
11-22-2006, 09:13 AM
Cool, a few hours from me.

If you want, e-mail your pics to me, I can resize them for you. [email protected]
Yes, about 3 1/2 hrs. E-mail sent. :)

nitrorocket
11-22-2006, 11:55 AM
With all the work involved, I would personally try to make a tubular header, Mine went fairly easy once I figured out the best route. I have a ton of photos during the process I could post to help give ideas to make yours easier.

Same car same engine..... Copy cat!!! :D :thumbsup:

TT402LS1
11-22-2006, 04:31 PM
With all the work involved, I would personally try to make a tubular header, Mine went fairly easy once I figured out the best route. I have a ton of photos during the process I could post to help give ideas to make yours easier.

Same car same engine..... Copy cat!!! :D :thumbsup:
:lol: I thought of doing this BEFORE I saw your car. I was kinda disapointed when I seen someone beat me to the punch. Oh well, my project isnt coming along as fast as I like. Ive been working out of state, so I dont have much time to work on it.

Yeah, Ive been waiting on the piping. Once I get that, I think I can figure things out better. Might not be as bad as I think.

Just got a new digital camera today. I will try to post some pics, if I can figure it out!

nitrorocket
11-22-2006, 11:14 PM
Here is a couple pics of the Driver side header.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a50/nitrorocket/100_2092.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a50/nitrorocket/100_2091-1.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a50/nitrorocket/DVC00800-1.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a50/nitrorocket/DVC00877.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a50/nitrorocket/DVC00876-1.jpg

deuce_454
11-23-2006, 05:48 AM
they look like they would fit my g-body... hmm :unibrow:
are all the accessories mounted in stock locations?? and doesnt that PS-reservoir get toasted when you cruise on the highway??

not to hijack but:.. what mods are nessecary on an lsx to boost it.. pistons, rods... what about heads? fuelsystem?? how do you re-program the ECU??

nitrorocket
11-23-2006, 09:53 AM
Well, to date I have had no heat problems. Things do not really get that hot. I have cruised on the freeway for 2 hours at 80 mph already with no problems. I run all accessories in the stock locations. I do not run the A/C pump because I do not have the A/C on the car functional yet. But it will fit too.

All that is done to my motor that HAS to be done for big boost and massive power is:

-Forged pistons
-Billet rods
-Stainless valves
-Good valvesprings
-Head studs
-Main studs
-MLS head gaskets
-A1000 fuel pump and regulator
-Get the motor tuned by a pro, or learn yourself. I tuned my entire setup to well over 800 rwhp on 93 octane myself. So it not impossible, just do it carefully. :D

That is it. Do that and you can have a 1000 hp engine.

TT402LS1
11-23-2006, 10:39 AM
Here is a pic of where Im mounting my turbos........

nitrorocket
11-23-2006, 09:05 PM
Where is your car??

You are not building the turbo setup without the body on are you?? :_paranoid

TT402LS1
11-24-2006, 08:26 AM
Where is your car??

You are not building the turbo setup without the body on are you?? :_paranoid

No, I will have the body, steering shaft, steering gearbox, inner fenders, rad support, radiator, and fans in place for the build. :)

nitrorocket
11-24-2006, 03:40 PM
That is good. It will really allow you to put the turbos in just the right place to make optimum clearance all around.
I wonder what a set of custom stainless direct bolt in LS1/Chevelle tubular headers would be worth? :_paranoid

deuce_454
11-26-2006, 03:11 PM
well i would guestimate that 1500 bucks would be a good compromise, mabe more, but for every dollar you go up the number of potential costumers goes down...

but back to the hijacking.. you mention tuning, that implies that i would need some stand alone fuel and spark CPU... ?? 8 coils.. what is compatible with that... autronic, haltech BS3?

camcojb
11-26-2006, 04:13 PM
well i would guestimate that 1500 bucks would be a good compromise, mabe more, but for every dollar you go up the number of potential costumers goes down...

but back to the hijacking.. you mention tuning, that implies that i would need some stand alone fuel and spark CPU... ?? 8 coils.. what is compatible with that... autronic, haltech BS3?

$1500 for a pair of 321 stainless headers is not reasonable. You'll spend that much (and more with the trick collectors, etc.) just for the materials.

Jody

TT402LS1
11-27-2006, 07:38 AM

Aeromotive fuel pump, lager fuel lines,stock coils, stock comp, and EFI Live.

deuce_454
11-28-2006, 08:02 AM
just did the math my self... i guess 1500 is wishfull thinking.. it looks like ot takes about 18 90deg bends.. 5 feet of straight tubing cnc flanges and quite a bit of time...

it would seem to me that larger injectors were required.. are the oem ones saturation or peak and hold? i havent been able to find bigger saturation injectors than 60 lbs. that should be enough for 600 Hp in a turbo engine.. how do you fuel 1000 ponies injector wise?? are you running 70 pounds of fuelpressure or how do you accomplish it??

camcojb
11-28-2006, 09:41 AM
just did the math my self... i guess 1500 is wishfull thinking.. it looks like ot takes about 18 90deg bends.. 5 feet of straight tubing cnc flanges and quite a bit of time...

it would seem to me that larger injectors were required.. are the oem ones saturation or peak and hold? i havent been able to find bigger saturation injectors than 60 lbs. that should be enough for 600 Hp in a turbo engine.. how do you fuel 1000 ponies injector wise?? are you running 70 pounds of fuelpressure or how do you accomplish it??

OEM is high impedance (saturated). You can get up to 75# from http://www.rceng.com/ and up to 83# from http://www.venom-performance.com/nf/html/uniInjector.cfm#

I'd say a 75# to 83# would be safe. The Mule has 65# and made over 1000 HP but the duty cycle was high.

Jody

nitrorocket
11-28-2006, 09:50 AM
I run a 96 lb injector with an inline injector driver. It changes the PCM signal from high to low impedance. Works very well and is actually more accurate at controlling fuel then the large high impedance injectors, they react faster.

A 60 lb injector with 58 psi fuel pressure will support 600 rwhp. I run an A1000 with 45 psi and 96 lb. injectors and have more then enough fuel. ;) Maybe someday I will turn up the boost! :_paranoid

A set of steel twin turbo tubular headers could be made and sold complete for roughly $1500. That is not all that bad.
Stainless adds cost from a much more complicated welding process, and additional cost of welding gas, filler rod, and tubing/flanges. Stainless 321 would be between $2500-$3000 complete, If I were to ever build and sell them. :_paranoid I do not know about others pricing.

Payton King
11-28-2006, 03:33 PM
I am using basically the same S&P pulley system. I was told that hard high rpm runs will throw off the harmonic ballancer cover you have installed. Very tough to get it perfectly mounted with no run out. Call S&P and ask for Lambert for verification.

I was going to use the same and decided against it after that bit of info.

Hope this helps....great project by the way

deuce_454
12-02-2006, 12:38 PM
now i am the proud ovner of an ls1/4l60e combo.. so one step closer to a turbo ls1 malibu.. let the fun begin

nitrorocket
12-02-2006, 12:41 PM
What is with all the lame turbo ls1's?? :_paranoid

deuce_454
12-02-2006, 02:31 PM
i dont know... i just hope thay arent all that lame... :D but i better keep the boost and build reasonable, otherwise im going to detonate my driveline... it would on the other hand be nice to break into the 10's (i know im dreaming but its a good dream) i figure that good rods, 8:1 comp, good heads a 220 deg cam with large ls. and an ls6 intake will fair nicely with 14 pounds of boost and a big intercoler (a large buick GN air to air unit should fit without to many headaches)

nitrorocket
12-02-2006, 04:05 PM
I have that same exact setup you just mentioned. at 10 psi I can go 130 mph in the quarter with my tank. 14 psi should get you going. Use the stock cam, it is good to go.

deuce_454
12-05-2006, 04:28 AM
i saw your car for sale on racinglunk for 55K.. why part with it, you building a 1.gen like everyone else??

nitrorocket
12-05-2006, 07:12 AM
No, I jsut threw it up to see what happens. I will keep it though if nobody snatches it up. I was looking into starting a custom turbo shop.

Old Man
12-06-2006, 12:05 PM
My 99 T/A runs low 9's so 10's shouldn't be to difficult. [email protected]

i dont know... i just hope thay arent all that lame... :D but i better keep the boost and build reasonable, otherwise im going to detonate my driveline... it would on the other hand be nice to break into the 10's (i know im dreaming but its a good dream) i figure that good rods, 8:1 comp, good heads a 220 deg cam with large ls. and an ls6 intake will fair nicely with 14 pounds of boost and a big intercoler (a large buick GN air to air unit should fit without to many headaches)

TT402LS1
12-09-2006, 05:34 PM
I am using basically the same S&P pulley system. I was told that hard high rpm runs will throw off the harmonic ballancer cover you have installed. Very tough to get it perfectly mounted with no run out. Call S&P and ask for Lambert for verification.

I was going to use the same and decided against it after that bit of info.

Hope this helps....great project by the way

I thought about that! Thanks for the info! I will only be running 6500rpm, but I sure dont need that thing flying off! I might run a after market balancer. What kind would be the best for my setup??

Thanks - Ron

TT402LS1
12-25-2006, 09:26 AM
Well.... Im home for the holidays. I got my package that I was waiting for Thanksgiving. I thought now, I can get the headers for my turbos fab up and tacked in place. Well... guess what?? When I placed the order (a week before Thanksgiving) I was told everything was in stock, and I would have it in a few days. Than it didnt show. I called they said, the 45* bends they were all out of, but everything else was in stock. Now I have the package but, NO ENGINE FLANGES! NO STRAITS! AND no tight U BENDS!! And on top of it all, no packing list. No bill. (my card was charged $650.00)

The company I orded from, place the order from thier supplier. And they (the suppiler) messed the order up. I called to see if I can get the peices I need before I have to go back to work. (Im working out of state) The company I ordered from said they would call the supplier and see what happened to the order and call me back. I never recieved a call back. So now I guess I will have to wait till Feb. to work on them (If they get the order right by than) :censored:

deuce_454
12-26-2006, 11:16 AM
Well.... Im home for the holidays. I got my package that I was waiting for Thanksgiving. I thought now, I can get the headers for my turbos fab up and tacked in place. Well... guess what?? When I placed the order (a week before Thanksgiving) I was told everything was in stock, and I would have it in a few days. Than it didnt show. I called they said, the 45* bends they were all out of, but everything else was in stock. Now I have the package but, NO ENGINE FLANGES! NO STRAITS! AND no tight U BENDS!! And on top of it all, no packing list. No bill. (my card was charged $650.00)

The company I orded from, place the order from thier supplier. And they (the suppiler) messed the order up. I called to see if I can get the peices I need before I have to go back to work. (Im working out of state) The company I ordered from said they would call the supplier and see what happened to the order and call me back. I never recieved a call back. So now I guess I will have to wait till Feb. to work on them (If they get the order right by than) :censored:

i used to be in sales, and that sounds just like the bs we were told to tell our costumers if somthing was backordered or somone messed up.. whoever you talked to just moved the blame from his company onto someone else... and he is now being your friend and helping you out... when in fact he has not delivered what you paid for in the first place.... but such is life! (and i just couldnt live with giving costumers that kind of stories so i am no longer in sales for that very reason btw)

hope you get your stuff soon, and merry x.mas

TBART70
09-30-2007, 02:12 PM
Just realize that's setup to fit an 05 GTO chassis, so you'll be modding a lot of it to get it to fit your car. Not sure the manifolds will work either; they use the stock GTO exhaust manifolds turned around, but they may have clearance issues on the Chevelle.

Nelson Racing makes a set of headers that will fit the LSX and your 70 Chevelle; you could run twin turbos or a large single with them.

http://www.camcojb.com/malitude%20078.jpg

Jody

very impressive what kind of power are you looking for.

camcojb
09-30-2007, 02:18 PM
very impressive what kind of power are you looking for.

the motor and turbos are good for 1300 or so, but I'll run much less.

Jody