PDA

View Full Version : Carbs to EFI conversion

jasburbak
10-10-2006, 12:49 PM
Hi, i'm considered new to the EFI conversion, and have been wondering on certain issues for a while -thats why the founding of this site has been such a blessing, it is truly the best of both worlds...

Since i am new, my questions lay around:

I have a 540 BB: what would i need to convert my engine into a EFI system? (I have read the threads on certain tuning systems such as F.A.S.T and Holleys selection) but what i need is a parts list or idea so i could start browsing.

My project leads me to 3 alternatives:
1. Stick with what i have and add a 6-71 Blower (concerns that it would be too top heavy)
2. Convert to EFI with the addition of a Turbocharger
3. Convert to EFI with the addition of a Supercharger (Procharger)

What are the advantages and disadvantages of converting to EFI? (in retrospect to the idea of Forced Induction as well)
My project's goal is to be a 10 second daily driver (which i drive only on weekends, but aim high just in case)

Too many questions, i know but I'd appreciate any insight and help.

Thank You.
Jason B

deuce_454
10-11-2006, 11:21 AM
there are many many answers to that question.. two or three per registered user.. first fo all mu question is how well your engine is suited to forced induction?? but asuming its an aluminum head 9:1 compression motor you can make enough horsepower with forced induction to overpower any set of tires,

my money is on turbocharging, ant the main reason si that it puts almost no parasitic drag on the engine at normal driving powerlevels, and it doesnt rob horrific amounts of real usable shaft horsepower at full throttle, (and it allows for intercooling) so if you are in anyway limited in max boost by your engine now, you will get substantially more RWHP with a turbo setup than a roots all things being equal (which they never are btw)

you are btw not forced to run efi with a turbo.. there are a couple of carb shops that can convert your holley to blowthru with great results... so you can keep your intake, carb and so on (and it will fit under the hood..)

with regards to EFI... there are even more answers, but here are two.. one is to use the VEMS, its cheap 500$, versatile but require some effort on your part, run thar with a racepump mechanical efi pump and some ebay injectors and a mercruicer intake and you can have a whole setup for arround 1500-2000$

ant the other option is to go full tilt and run Autronic or haltech and custom everything and ypou will be shelling out over 5000$ for the efi alone...

so my advice is to do an intercooled blowthru carb setup with one or two turbos and hold on for dear life :eek: :thumbsup:

tyoneal
10-11-2006, 11:36 PM
Hi, i'm considered new to the EFI conversion, and have been wondering on certain issues for a while -thats why the founding of this site has been such a blessing, it is truly the best of both worlds...

Since i am new, my questions lay around:

I have a 540 BB: what would i need to convert my engine into a EFI system? (I have read the threads on certain tuning systems such as F.A.S.T and Holleys selection) but what i need is a parts list or idea so i could start browsing.

My project leads me to 3 alternatives:
1. Stick with what i have and add a 6-71 Blower (concerns that it would be too top heavy)
2. Convert to EFI with the addition of a Turbocharger
3. Convert to EFI with the addition of a Supercharger (Procharger)

What are the advantages and disadvantages of converting to EFI? (in retrospect to the idea of Forced Induction as well)
My project's goal is to be a 10 second daily driver (which i drive only on weekends, but aim high just in case)

Too many questions, i know but I'd appreciate any insight and help.

Thank You.
Jason B

Jason:

If your object is a 10 second daily driver. Just tune your 540 (If it's set up well and healthy) just as it is, and you should be able to get into the 10's without needing EFI or forced induction.

tyoneal

deuce_454
10-12-2006, 03:00 AM
Jason:

If your object is a 10 second daily driver. Just tune your 540 (If it's set up well and healthy) just as it is, and you should be able to get into the 10's without needing EFI or forced induction.

tyoneal

good point... its easy to get carried away with tech solutions to a problem with a simple solution :rolleyes:

jasburbak
10-12-2006, 05:54 AM
Thanks for all your answers, tuning my 540ci would be much less costly than the other applications, i wanted to convert the EFI for reliability, mpg, and longevity... i may do so, keep it N/A and have what i want.. I was worried where i was going to fit in an intercooler on a 67 deuce anyway...

Thank You.

Jason B

markss28
10-12-2006, 12:35 PM
Stay natural and if you want more gas milage then get a 5 speed tranny or a 4 speed auto. This should be good for everything.