PDA

View Full Version : Where is the high end of usable Horsepower and .......

tyoneal
10-10-2006, 01:23 AM
Hello:

From reading this forum, my own opinions being omitted, there seems to be a concenses that 400 - 550 RWHP seems to be the upper limit on what is usable either on the Street or Track, and also what is just fun to drive.

Drag strips are the exception as strait line acceleration removes a number of issues that the previous examples have to deal with.

Another issue I would like to ask is, "How is the Best Way to make this power?", while retaining:

- Drivability (Quality vs. Brutality of the power delivery)
- Fuel Economy
- Long Term Dependability
- Handling Performance (weight etc.)
- Bang for the Buck (Cost)

or

What power plant configurations best included these characteristics?

I look forward to your opinions and advice.

Thanks,

tyoneal

(I'm guessing a well built, hot LS-2 Engine, would probably be one of the better choices)

Jay Hilliard
10-10-2006, 07:33 AM
For the HP range you are talking about and the other options you mentioned:

- Drivability (Quality vs. Brutality of the power delivery)
- Fuel Economy
- Long Term Dependability
- Handling Performance (weight etc.)
- Bang for the Buck (Cost)

LS1/LS2 is the choice. :yes:

tyoneal
10-10-2006, 12:27 PM
Thanks for the response.

Any more thoughts about the amount of usable power?

tyoneal

XcYZ
10-10-2006, 12:32 PM
LS7 would score well on all those points except cost.

Ummgawa
10-10-2006, 12:51 PM
Super charge an LS-2.

Stuart Adams
10-10-2006, 01:03 PM
To average all those factors an LS motor is probably best, IMO.

Jim, steaks at SEMA?

Diognes56
10-10-2006, 01:12 PM
I am going to have to vote LSx as well :) .

David

Stuart Adams
10-10-2006, 02:39 PM
For me a quality LS built motor will add resale. I would be more comfortable buying a car with a good LS motor in it. Just something to kick around and put on the list - Resale/Value.

tyoneal
10-10-2006, 11:03 PM
Thanks to all who answered.

How would you configure the LS-2?

Can you make 650-700 hp without a blower, and still remain durable?

If not,

High high can you safely build one?

What size would you build?

Thanks again for you answers and comments.

tyoneal

4mm
10-10-2006, 11:48 PM
Can you make 650-700 hp without a blower, and still remain durable?

tyoneal
I would say yes. There are already 600rwhp NA C6 Z06 cars running on 91 octane gas. The only rub is that they have 427 ci of LSx power with hot cams, new rods/pistons, and massaged heads/intake. :cool:

rocketman
10-11-2006, 12:37 PM
Well everyone has differnet opinion on max hp,drivability.Fuel enconomy is the hard part in this combo.To me 800-900 hp is easly drivable.

That power level and for any MPG is going to have to fuel injected.The Lsx packages are great,put a efi bb can be just has reliable.I ran a 632 efi motor on the street for 3 year and only freshened it 2 twice and raced the **** out it.

The Lsx is really the hot new thing.a stock cube ls1 will make 475 hp easy,with out be crazy.a crazy lsx will make 600 horse.And be drivable.and cheapest,to build most likely under 10g.

Jr
10-11-2006, 03:38 PM
Tyoneal,
When you say track are you asking about a road course? If so, I would also like to know what some peoples opinions are.

I agree with the well built LS2

[QUOTE=tyoneal]Hello:

From reading this forum, my own opinions being omitted, there seems to be a concenses that 400 - 550 RWHP seems to be the upper limit on what is usable either on the Street or Track, and also what is just fun to drive.

tyoneal
10-11-2006, 10:36 PM
I would say yes. There are already 600rwhp NA C6 Z06 cars running on 91 octane gas. The only rub is that they have 427 ci of LSx power with hot cams, new rods/pistons, and massaged heads/intake. :cool:

I have heard it is easier to install a large LS-2 than a LS-7 due to having to relieve the firewall for extra clearance. (69 Camaro)

Is this correct?

Lunati bottom end with an AFR, Trick Flow or RHS Top end. EFI and a Big CAM?

Can you post a link to this information for reference?

Thanks for the Post. It would be nice to have that type of power without adding a blower.

tyoneal

tyoneal
10-11-2006, 10:47 PM
Tyoneal,
When you say track are you asking about a road course? If so, I would also like to know what some peoples opinions are.

[QUOTE=tyoneal]Hello:

Yes, when I mentioned, "Track", I was meaning Road Course. Since this is a Pro-Touring Site, I thought I would focus on the Handeling aspects of a Powerfull Sports Car.

I think (Perhaps wrongly) that going straight with big horse power is relatively easy. Now manipulating the car around a challenging track is much more difficult, especially with big power.

In the 70's Straight was the Deal. To me in 2006, Straight as well as around a Road Course is the new goal.

Your thoughts??

How would you build the LSx engine specifically for this application?

Could you stay with an aluminum block and make durable 600+ horse power?

tyoneal

tyoneal
10-11-2006, 10:56 PM
Well everyone has differnet opinion on max hp,drivability.Fuel enconomy is the hard part in this combo.To me 800-900 hp is easly drivable.

That power level and for any MPG is going to have to fuel injected.The Lsx packages are great,put a efi bb can be just has reliable.I ran a 632 efi motor on the street for 3 year and only freshened it 2 twice and raced the **** out it.

The Lsx is really the hot new thing.a stock cube ls1 will make 475 hp easy,with out be crazy.a crazy lsx will make 600 horse.And be drivable.and cheapest,to build most likely under 10g.

Rocketman:

So your vote would be a BBC?

How would you build it to work well within a Pro-Touring application? (Strip, Road Track, Street)

Would a BBC be at a disadvantage due to weight, and the Hellatious (sp) Torque it makes down low? (My experiance with Hot BBC's is that they are Brutal down low and pretty difficult to drive well when the range of speed varies from 10 mph up to 150 mph. If you are driving fast exclusively, ie. 80 mph - 150 mph, they become much more friendly and the torque becomes a big advantage)

Your thoughts??

tyoneal

nitrorocket
10-12-2006, 11:26 AM
[QUOTE=DJW32]Tyoneal,

Yes, when I mentioned, "Track", I was meaning Road Course. Since this is a Pro-Touring Site, I thought I would focus on the Handeling aspects of a Powerfull Sports Car.

I think (Perhaps wrongly) that going straight with big horse power is relatively easy. Now manipulating the car around a challenging track is much more difficult, especially with big power.

In the 70's Straight was the Deal. To me in 2006, Straight as well as around a Road Course is the new goal.

Your thoughts??

How would you build the LSx engine specifically for this application?

Could you stay with an aluminum block and make durable 600+ horse power?

tyoneal

The aluminum block LS1/LS6 block will handle anything you can throw at it. :D

jeff s
10-12-2006, 09:12 PM
Our twin turbo 402 cid LS2 is more daily driveable than the heads and cam 346 cid LS6 it replaced. When you're in boost, hang on.
Easiest way to 650 hp, IMO, LS2 with a magnachager.
Pics:
www.schwartzperformance.com/alien.htm

rocketman
10-13-2006, 12:35 AM
Rocketman:

So your vote would be a BBC?

How would you build it to work well within a Pro-Touring application? (Strip, Road Track, Street)

Would a BBC be at a disadvantage due to weight, and the Hellatious (sp) Torque it makes down low? (My experiance with Hot BBC's is that they are Brutal down low and pretty difficult to drive well when the range of speed varies from 10 mph up to 150 mph. If you are driving fast exclusively, ie. 80 mph - 150 mph, they become much more friendly and the torque becomes a big advantage)

Your thoughts??

tyoneal

Well I prefer big block power,put I have built some killer SBC and Lsx style engines.And am leaning toward building a TT set-up in the future.

tyoneal
10-13-2006, 01:24 AM
To all:

For those of you who enjoy being on the Road Track, how much torque/horsepower are you running, what car is it in, and do you wish you had more power or less power based on your experiance driving on them.

Any other advice you would have?

Thanks,

Ty Oneal

tyoneal
10-13-2006, 01:26 AM
Well I prefer big block power,put I have built some killer SBC and Lsx style engines.And am leaning toward building a TT set-up in the future.

Keep us posted on your decisions and how they work out. I would be interested in the final product and your thoughts on it.

Thanks,

tyoneal

rocketman
10-13-2006, 01:37 PM
I will, I'm looking for a the right car to put this monster in.I'm leaning toward a 575 or a 632 TT set-up.