PDA

View Full Version : cheap turbo help!!

deuce_454
10-08-2006, 09:40 AM
Hi guys, havent posted much on this site but i recently got compelled to buy a 79 malibu. dont ask why but ive always liked the g-body and i just couldnt pass this one up..

its a plain jane 305/th350 malibu, and th ehandling and power leaves room for improvement to say the least.. sp here is the outline of what id like to change and the question of weather its a good route to follow...

(there is a sister thread in the suspension section)

Ok here is my plan (or plans) ditching the 305. and replacing with diy turbocharged 350.. now the first route is the cheapest and that involves a 290 hp goodwrench motor (1650$), welding a single turbo manifold for passenger side and bolting on a gt-40w or holset hx55 that i can buy locally for about 300 dollars new in box.. that engine should survive 6-8 pounds fo boost if i blow thru the quadrajunk and possibly add a diy waterinjegtion system..

the second option would be a beefier 350 from PAW with forged pistios, world product heads and a turbo cam (2800$) a set of schwartz manifolds (1000$) and two t4 flange turbos (minimum 2000$) a real blow thru carb (500$) racepump and regulator (400$) and so on.. this setup will also grossly overpower my th350 tranny and skinny rear so is the first plan viable?? or is the an in between plan?? somthing im missing??

(ps nelson racings engines are a little out of the budget .. )

jonny51
10-08-2006, 10:16 AM
I don't think that first plan is a very good idea,just my opinion.I would go with the forged bottom end,turbo cam and blow through carb.

ProTouring442
10-08-2006, 10:25 AM
I with ya except for the carb... wouldn't a FI set up be better? Or how about an LSx plus the trin turbos. If you have some good junk yard connections, the motor shouldn't be too hard to come up with.

Shiny Side Up!
Bill
'72 442 "Inamorata"
http://www.fquick.com/ProTouring442

deuce_454
10-08-2006, 10:27 AM
you are propably right.. it just seemed like a cheap, fun and "high wow-factor" way to get to 450 hp! but the forged bottom end would have plenty of room for improvement... just turn up the boost and wait for somthing new to break!

An LSx is very hard to find over here... and the only reason im not planing on running efi just yet is cost... and megasquirt/VEMS seem like they have somewhat if a learningcurve...

jonny51
10-08-2006, 10:33 AM
I agree with the FI statement but I was under the impression you wanted to do a budget setup.

deuce_454
10-08-2006, 10:36 AM
budget setup.

exactly!

jonny51
10-08-2006, 10:40 AM
exactly!

There is a member on here who did Twin's with a blow through carb and it worked great.His screen name is Y-Try.I found a pic of his setup...

http://members.aol.com/ytry68/CamaroPics/HoodOff.jpg

deuce_454
10-08-2006, 11:16 AM
There is a member on here who did Twin's with a blow through carb and it worked great.His screen name is Y-Try.I found a pic of his setup...

http://members.aol.com/ytry68/CamaroPics/HoodOff.jpg
looks sweet... mabe alittle over what im shooting for... but fi it works at high boost then it can certainly work with moderate levels too

3kidsnotime
10-08-2006, 04:51 PM
I actually love blow through systems, I have built hundreads of them and they work great on carb set ups the biggest problem people do is over cfm them on a mild engine, I like a carb set up that is 1:1 linkage and square jetting a single 660 works best on mild small block around 10 psi on a 406 is easy able to make 750hp

ProTouring442
10-08-2006, 06:09 PM
you are propably right.. it just seemed like a cheap, fun and "high wow-factor" way to get to 450 hp! but the forged bottom end would have plenty of room for improvement... just turn up the boost and wait for somthing new to break!

An LSx is very hard to find over here... and the only reason im not planing on running efi just yet is cost... and megasquirt/VEMS seem like they have somewhat if a learningcurve...

Oh... where are you?

Shiny Side Up!

Bill

'72 442 "Inamorata"
www.fquick.com/ProTouring442

deuce_454
10-09-2006, 03:18 PM
Im in in Denmark.. why? to many misspelled words to pass as an american... ?? ;)

ProTouring442
10-09-2006, 08:21 PM
Oh, cool! I wasn't sure where you were... hell, sometimes I don't know where I am! :D

Shiny Side Up!
Bill
'72 442 "Inamorata"
www.fquick.com/ProTouring442

Leadfoot1
11-03-2006, 08:43 AM
I was looking at starting a thread regarding which Turbo could be used. What are you planning to use on your application? I saw T4's as a possibility (?) but have you had any other idea? I don't know squat about turbos but already have an LS1 waiting to get dropped in my car and at first i wanted to do Supercharger, but i get so much positive feedback from turbos i'm starting to get interested!

Could i use something from say, big (Salvage) diesel trucks, get them refurbed/ anodized and make a nice set up?

I'm not looking to make a 1000 Horses....But if i can get there easily its ok too you know!!!

Thanks!

Lead