PDA

View Full Version : Ford...302 vs 4.6l for twin turbo???

Slick
10-06-2006, 06:46 PM
I've been building a twin turbo 302 project for awhile...I have some parts invested but I haven't gotten to the actual block yet, just bolt on stuff like oil pan and motor mounts (got the poly, thanks for all the advice on the the earlier post) etc, nothing internal as I'm not that far along yet with the rest of the car, just getting sizing right now. Now I'm presented with a deal locally for a 4.6l motor, tranny, harness, everything out of a lincoln or towncar or something for cheap (less than $500) from a rear end damaged car, it purs with 50K miles.

Question is...with TT in mind, what are my pro's/con's for either engine? I know when I started this project everyone I talked to said "why are you using a 302, why not a "mod" 4.6l?". I didn't put much thought into it at the time but now....

I know the 302's distributor is being a pain in my ass (high and in front, ugly, car is more show than go) and the front oil pump is causing issues with my crossmember. I don't know much about this 4.6 yet, where is the oil pump in this thing? I know it uses coil packs...what the hell do they mean by "modular" motor anyway? :)

One thing I have that cost a bit that I need to be able to swap over is an accell DFI GEn 7...I assume I can swap this over, maybe new harness or something but it should work right?

Thanks!

Datsbad
10-07-2006, 11:51 AM
The Gen7 should work , might have to change the harness.

camcojb
10-07-2006, 12:34 PM
The mod motor would be more current, and tricker in my opinion, but the fit can be an issue depending on what car it's going in. It is very wide, more like a big block so room and plumbing for the turbos will be tougher.

Jody

Datsbad
10-07-2006, 02:16 PM
what kind of power do you want to make? The town car engine is Not the the same as a cobra engine. Cobra engines have different rods and crank.

I would first consider that , with Turbos on that motor would be scary . the only motor I would feel comfortable with a turbo on would be one out of a 2003 cobra. the prevoius years all has aluminum blocks and have had some trouble.

I Killed a 98 4.6l with 10lbs of boost.... definately pull it apart and beef up the internals.

It seems as if the 302 based engine would be cheaper to an extent

Slick
10-07-2006, 03:20 PM
Thanks guys. I'm somewhat planning on having the internals replaced...well with the 302 it was for sure, now with the 4.6 option I wasn't sure but it sounds like I should also...so figuring it will be rebuilt for boost...how about actual parts costs...the 302 has been around forever so finding parts easily (and not getting raped $$) isn't to hard, how about stuff like heads for the 4.6? Hell, do I even need to replace them (again it was a definite for the 302, now maybe not)? Or just rebuild the stock heads?

Engine bay width shouldn't be a problem...my car is...well almost made from scratch and part of the project was to widen it so the bay is pretty wide, it has a front wheel drive V6 in it before (not exactly a "pro touring" car to look at it, but a newer car sitting on a pro touring chassis with hot rod parts).

BIG SHOOTER
10-13-2006, 05:30 PM
Jason I have a 392 built for turbo set up for sale that I'am parting out.Give me a call Steve 519 623-3040 thanks

Slick
10-15-2006, 01:32 AM
just an update, my local ford turbo guy shot down my 4.6L option as it was a SOHC 2V version...he said if it was a 4v model it would be worth but since it's not just build the 302. He's also saying most I can hope for from the stock block is 500-550hp at the wheels and to keep the stock crank...make sense to you guys?

AllSpeedAndy
12-02-2006, 08:08 PM
just an update, my local ford turbo guy shot down my 4.6L option as it was a SOHC 2V version...he said if it was a 4v model it would be worth but since it's not just build the 302. He's also saying most I can hope for from the stock block is 500-550hp at the wheels and to keep the stock crank...make sense to you guys?

I know there are lot of guys out there that wouldn't shoot down the 2v just yet....Iron block, good for some serious power. As said before the cobra aluminum has a hard time holding 10#'s as I have found out to the hard way too. The 2v iron block is easilly modded to eccept 4v's, as I'm doing know for my own personal 95mm turbo 32v project. If you should want to look into heads I have a great article I can pm you on all the different head castings Ford put out there, flow #'s and port volumes and aplication designs.
As for any way you go, you are stiil going to want to use all good forged internals and prices for mod motor stuff is getting reasonable these days.

If budget provided I would go the 32v way, reason being much more efficient and a bit easier to make big power with forced induction. Not to mention they look killer done right, and impressive.

Andy

deuce_454
12-03-2006, 11:16 AM
the winsor block is the better bet for high horsepower, it can be built to over 450 cui, and the svo blocks are safe over 1500 hp. just ask any 5.0 racer.. the 302 is hard to beat.. and if you are budget minded, tubular stainless TT headers for the winsor retail for 300 bucks on ebay..

In my oppinion the best bet is to stick with a 302 and do a clean and well engineered turbosetup.. and if you dont like the ford distributor then instal direct fire ignition.. it is not the engine model that impress me its the craftsmanship in the install.. look at a nelson TT sbc.. its a smallblock chevy, like 60 million others, but im hard pressed to find an engine id rather have..

AllSpeedAndy
12-03-2006, 11:30 AM
Duece, well said... :thumbsup:

It wont matter what engine you use as long as it well thought and engineered. With a clean install it will look good.

1970cuda
12-03-2006, 12:52 PM
4.6 dohc is approx 650 pounds which is the nearly the same as a Big Block Chevy. You can save a few hundred pounds off the front end using a windsor. The 4.6 has more bling but any thing other than a ls motor with twins has a lot of bling. :D

ujt389
12-07-2006, 02:24 AM
In my opinion mod motors are worthless. They weigh as much as a big block and its hard (and expensive) to get a 4 valve motor. The problem with a 302 is the block will split at about 475 horsepower. Now if you are willing to go with an aftermarket block (like fords new boss block) you are in business. If you are looking to keep a stock block I would go with a 351, they can take 700 horsepower. The front oil pump problem can be resolved by using a latemodel rearsump oil pan. BTW a windsor will be a lot cheaper to build. If you really want to make some power look into AFR, Canfield, or RHS heads.