PDA

View Full Version : Big Stuff 3 Fuel Injection

bwindy
05-29-2006, 12:38 PM
Is anyone running the Big Stuff 3 fuel injection system. How is it to work with, where was it purchased, and what type of engine is it being run with? I am trying to decide what system to put on my car (big block Chevy with Procharger).

Thanks for the info

Brian

ProdigyCustoms
05-29-2006, 01:02 PM
I do not run the Big Stuff 3, but they are great systems also. I have spoken to many happy Big Stuff owners. We have had great success with the FAST XFIs and have a top tuner that works closely with us which makes the decision difference here. We are putting together complete conversion set ups with manifold, rails, throttle body, electronics, etc. And ProChargers. We are firing up a ProCharged, Fast injected, 455 Pontiac in a couple hours. That Pontiac uses a Serpentine accessories drive, along with the ProCharger (I believe a first). We are also doing a big block Chevy with a F1, Serpentine set up and a FAST. These will be available in kit form very soon.

jonny51
05-29-2006, 03:34 PM
I do not run the Big Stuff 3, but they are great systems also. I have spoken to many happy Big Stuff owners. We have had great success with the FAST XFIs and have a top tuner that works closely with us which makes the decision difference here. We are putting together complete conversion set ups with manifold, rails, throttle body, electronics, etc. And ProChargers. We are firing up a ProCharged, Fast injected, 455 Pontiac in a couple hours. That Pontiac uses a Serpentine accessories drive, along with the ProCharger (I believe a first). We are also doing a big block Chevy with a F1, Serpentine set up and a FAST. These will be available in kit form very soon.

Sorry to get off topic but what is that 455 poncho in?

Blown353
05-29-2006, 04:54 PM
I had the chance to mess with a few new to me EFI systems over the last couple of weeks including the BS3 and XFI and had a real eye opener concerning the "homegrown" US-sourced EFI stuff.

The FAST, XFI, and BS3 are good "domestic" boxes-- meaning they're somewhat basic and limited on options but will do a fine job if setup and tuned properly. The BS3 is pretty skimpy when it comes to documention, help, and support provided with it but it is a good box. The XFI is much better from a documentation standpoint and offers a very comparable featureset compared with the BS3.

However, I also had a chance to mess with an AEM and an Autronics box, and man oh man are they leaps and bounds ahead of the typical Gen VII/FAST/XFI/C950/BS3 and the price is very comparable. The AEM and Autronics boxes are much more involved to setup but there are a *TON* of user configurable features in them that the "domestic" EFI boxes don't even think about offering. You can run darn near any sensors/inputs/outputs you like and you can configure them on your own; linear voltage, PWM, etc. They also offer acceleration-rate based traction control, multiple input and output triggering options you can configure yourself (no sending the box back to be changed like a FAST), way more advanced temperature compensation tables (i.e. with the FAST you can only change fuel based on IATs, while on the Autronics and AEM you can not only change fueling but change timing and also drive a configurable output like PWM signal to drive a boost control solenoid to cut down on boost due to excessive IAT's.) They also offer flatfoot shifting via a clutchswitch input, antilag for turbo users, etc.

Absolutely no contest IMO. If I were re-doing my car again I would probably go with the Autronics box as I've heard some minor griping with the on-board injector drivers in the AEM box. My FAST works and drives well but there are several options I wish I had that it does not offer. The Autronics box would do everything I want and then some!

And as Frank said, even the best box will be a dud without a good tuner at the helm. I would base my decision on tuner availability and knowledge above almost all else, but do not limit your options to the "domestic" boxes; you're missing out on a LOT of good stuff if you do.

http://www.aempower.com/product_ems.asp
http://www.autronic.com/

Troy

Speedster
05-30-2006, 08:09 AM
That Pontiac uses a Serpentine accessories drive, along with the ProCharger (I believe a first). We are also doing a big block Chevy with a F1, Serpentine set up and a FAST. These will be available in kit form very soon.

I have a serpentine belt drive on the Freebird. Had to have a custom balancer made by ATI to do it though.

Speedster
05-30-2006, 08:11 AM
Electromotive also makes the TEC3 system which is utilized on high horsepower machines.

blown69
07-20-2006, 08:17 PM
i run the big stuff on my blown 509 with a bds 871 and bds efi.works great

jeff

67SSChevelle
07-24-2006, 06:09 PM
They are good systems but quite expensive. For a street car you can do just as well with stock PCM and harness then you can buy something like EFI Live or HPT

camcojb
07-24-2006, 07:09 PM
Electromotive also makes the TEC3 system which is utilized on high horsepower machines.

Bruce,

I am very un-impressed with the Tec 3 on a new purchase I made, and so was the original owner of the system. It appears extremely clunky and light years behind any of the others I've used. I am in the process of swapping it for a FAST I have sitting around, so if you'd like I'll be selling the complete setup and will make you a great deal! :unibrow: Has less than 400 miles on it apparently.

Jody

Blown353
07-24-2006, 08:07 PM
Bruce,

I am very un-impressed with the Tec 3 on a new purchase I made, and so was the original owner of the system. It appears extremely clunky and light years behind any of the others I've used. I am in the process of swapping it for a FAST I have sitting around, so if you'd like I'll be selling the complete setup and will make you a great deal! :unibrow: Has less than 400 miles on it apparently.

Jody

Heheheh... was wondering how long you were going to put up with it.

Sell the FAST and do an Autronic box... DO IT! :yes: You can even keep the current TEC3 crank trigger setup, which is a good setup by itself.

Just kidding. It will run just fine with the FAST, and since you already have it and have lots of experience with them it makes perfect sense. You'd be sitting in your shop scratching your head for quite a while with an Autronic box, it's a big step up in capability and complexity.

camcojb
07-24-2006, 09:57 PM
Heheheh... was wondering how long you were going to put up with it.

Sell the FAST and do an Autronic box... DO IT! :yes: You can even keep the current TEC3 crank trigger setup, which is a good setup by itself.

Just kidding. It will run just fine with the FAST, and since you already have it and have lots of experience with them it makes perfect sense. You'd be sitting in your shop scratching your head for quite a while with an Autronic box, it's a big step up in capability and complexity.

Troy, If I didn't already have the FAST I'd consider something else, but like you said I'm familiar with it, and already have it so it makes sense. I also have a brand new BS3 but it's for an LSX engine which this one is not.

Jody

NU BREED
08-08-2006, 09:53 AM
Im Running A Big Stuff With A Single Turbo Lsx Set Up //not Quite Finished Yet,but Getting There..

Sparky
08-10-2006, 01:16 PM
For what it's worth:
Having spent 8 + hours to and from Rad Rides on Monday with John Meany and his infamous Truck, (BS3 Development tool). I can attest and I was thoroughly impressed with the Truck’s performance. It never bucked, hicked-up acted weird, nothing!!
It started and idled perfect, and performed nothing less then absolutely flawless.

One box ran the Turbocharged LSX Engine with Sequential Fuel Injection, Dual WBO2 control with separate O2 bank correction, Coil on Plug, 4L80E Trans, Boost Controller, the Race-Pak UltraDash and even has both Internal and External Data Logging capabilities.
The Dash supported all pertinent EFI information. I.e. Battery Voltage, Air/Fuel Ratio, Boost, Coolant Temp, TPS, Air Temp, RPM, anything that is on the dash-board within the BigCom software, you can configure into the Ultra-Dash.
When you option the BS3 with DAE you can also monitor external information I.e. Oil Pressure, Fuel Pressure, Turbo Back Pressure, Pan Vacuum, Turbo Shaft Speed, an Input Shaft RPM (usually Clutch RPM in racing applications) and MPH.

I’m in the process of building a Pro Touring 1966 Malibu with a Twin Turbo LSX, 4L80E Trans Screamer (Oops the cats out of the bag now….). With all the BS3 systems I have installed for my customers and form what I experienced on Monday, I know without a doubt now and feel totally confident what I will be installing on my own project, will more then get the job done and perform flawlessly.

Sparky

camcojb
08-10-2006, 01:56 PM
For what it's worth:
Having spent 8 + hours to and from Rad Rides on Monday with John Meany and his infamous Truck, (BS3 Development tool). I can attest and I was thoroughly impressed with the Truck’s performance. It never bucked, hicked-up acted weird, nothing!!
It started and idled perfect, and performed nothing less then absolutely flawless.

One box ran the Turbocharged LSX Engine with Sequential Fuel Injection, Coil on Plug, 4L80E Trans, Boost Controller, the Race-Pak UltraDash and even has both Internal and External Data Logging capabilities.
The Dash supported all pertinent EFI information. I.e. Battery Voltage, Air/Fuel Ratio, Boost, Coolant Temp, TPS, Air Temp, RPM, anything that is on the dash-board within the BigCom software, you can configure into the Ultra-Dash.
When you option the BS3 with DAE you can also monitor external information I.e. Oil Pressure, Fuel Pressure, Turbo Back Pressure, Pan Vacuum, Turbo Shaft Speed, an Input Shaft RPM (usually Clutch RPM in racing applications) and MPH.

I’m in the process of building a Pro Touring 1966 Malibu with a Twin Turbo LSX, 4L80E Trans Screamer (Oops the cats out of the bag now….). With all the BS3 systems I have installed for my customers and form what I experienced on Monday, I know without a doubt now and feel totally confident what I will be installing on my own project, will more then get the job done and perform flawlessly.

Sparky

Awesome Mike, I have the same system at home for an LSX future project. By the way, I'm the guy who bought the Malitude and I have not forgotten you. I'm stripping the car for paint and am considering adding my Racelogic traction control, so I wanted to wait until I had all the electrical issues figured out before having you re-do the harness for me.

Thanks again.

Jody

Sparky
08-10-2006, 02:00 PM
I figured you had an agenda for the car and when you're ready, you'd be in touch.
Talk to you soon.

Sparky

rwhite692
08-11-2006, 11:12 AM
....I'm stripping the car for paint....

Wow, already? So what color is she going to be?

camcojb
08-11-2006, 11:40 AM
Wow, already? So what color is she going to be?

Completely different than what it is. Kind of a stock "old school" look from the outside, but under the skin.................

Jody

rwhite692
08-11-2006, 12:18 PM
Cool! Can't wait to see it!