PDA

View Full Version : Decision: EFI + Better heads or EFI + Pro Charger on BBC

tracy
05-10-2006, 04:52 PM
I currently have a 402 (bored 396) BBC that is practically new. It is well put together with forged crank, H beam rods, 9.5:1 JE pistons. It also has a a Comp roller cam (just under 600 lift). It is balanced, etc..

It has stock oval port heads with roller rockers with Edelbrock Performaer intake and a 780 holley.

I want to up the horsepower, reliability, etc.. My plan was to upgrade to a set of CNC ported AFR oval port heads and go with a Accel DFI setup.

Now I am wondering if I should just bite the bullet and go with a Pro Charger + EFI. If I do this, do I need to upgrade the heads. If I do this plus upgrade the heads will there be a big additional advantage. Is my compression reasonable to use the Pro-Charger in the first place? What kind of horsepower and tork could I reasonably expect to get out of this motor with these options. Would I be better off selling the 402 and going with a much larger BBC?

I would welcome any and all opinions on this loaded topic :bow:

Thanks,
-Tracy

Speedster
05-10-2006, 07:59 PM
Just my .02 cents -
I would start by going with the ProCharger unit for your present motor. The oval port BBC heads outflow most other GM division hp heads. You are also running a fairly large cam, so the blower will overcome any shortcomings you may think you have unless you plan on running the motor at high rpm. You could get a D1-SC or even an F-1 (same external dimensions) and get quite the bang for your buck. Also, you could get a blow-thru carb for now and switch to EFI later to save some up front cost. There are quite a few people on this board that have used similar combinations and been very successful.

There is a combination similar to yours on the ProCharger website that is listed at 648hp.

ProdigyCustoms
05-10-2006, 08:58 PM
Bruce, you can field my tech calls on Procharging. That was the perfect answer.

tracy
05-11-2006, 02:31 AM
Bruce,

Thanks for the excellent advice. I think I will start with the simple route you suggest.

I could not find the listing you spoke of on ProCharger. Can you give me a pointer?

Thanks,
-Tracy

Payton King
05-11-2006, 07:46 AM
I believe he is a dealer for them

Speedster
05-11-2006, 02:14 PM
Thanks Frank.

Tracy, Frank is a dealer for ProCharger so give him a call.

Here is the link to a similar setup:
http://procharger.com/gallery/showtemp.php?market=3&idx=1107

cutlasskid
05-11-2006, 04:23 PM
my 02 cents skip any belt driven blower and go with the bigger motor alot less problems, keep it simple you will have alot less problems. unless you go with turbo"s