PDA

View Full Version : LT1 or LSX?

out2kayak
10-25-2012, 08:20 PM
So, given:

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/10/24/meet-the-lt1-the-corvette-c7s-new-6-2-liter-small-block-v8/

http://www.chevyhardcore.com/news/breaking-news-chevy-gen-v-small-block-reveal/

http://wot.motortrend.com/next-gen-lt1-62-liter-v8-for-2014-corvette-revealed-with-450-hp-new-tech-280365.html#ooid=plbzJjNjoTWa9C5Fz4-6f-bpDeLwI9wS

http://www.corvetteonline.com/news/video-reveals-new-gen-v-lt1-sporting-twin-turbos/

Is the new LT1 going to impact your LSX plans?

:cheers:

Mkelcy
10-25-2012, 09:42 PM
Bird in the hand (LSx) vs. bird in the bush (Gen 5 LT1).

I suspect you're looking at a 2 year plus delay as the engines get into wrecking yards (or the GMPP catalog) and the after market suppliers figure out what's need to make them work in our cars.

randy
10-25-2012, 10:21 PM
why your at it lets talk about the future release of the lt2, lt7, and lt9. lol

im still going to stick a ls2 into my car. WHY??? because im tired of waiting and i want something thats economical and available now.

214Chevy
10-31-2012, 09:11 PM
Bird in the hand (LSx) vs. bird in the bush (Gen 5 LT1).

I suspect you're looking at a 2 year plus delay as the engines get into wrecking yards (or the GMPP catalog) and the after market suppliers figure out what's need to make them work in our cars.

Very good point! :yes: :yes:

why your at it lets talk about the future release of the lt2, lt7, and lt9. lol

Funny, but probably true.

srh3trinity
10-31-2012, 10:53 PM
The harsh reality for me is I will probably never use my car to its full potential. The LS3 I am building is overkill, the suspension and brakes are overkill, etc. When my driving skills/needs eclipse the car, I will upgrade. I learned this lesson from wake boarding. New boards come out every year, and each year I upgraded thinking a new shape would make me a better rider. finally, I stuck with the same board for several years and worked on fundamentals and finally began improving.

John510
11-01-2012, 05:30 PM
Only 450 HP? Use an LS3. It will be way cheaper.

DETON8R
11-01-2012, 07:01 PM
Interesting innovations, nothing really new though. Direct fuel injection into the combustion chamber, which looks to be the reason for the piston head re-design. Cylinder deactivation seems to have been figured out, so nice for the fuel economy, and the Variable Valve Timing helps adjust the Hp vs Torque ratios, and again helps fuel economy. All really cool stuff for automotive engineers and someone that likes to buy a new car and drive the crap out of it......... What about the folks that want to tinker and improve beyond just an engine swap and a GMPP Engine controller?

I didn't see GM tooting their horn that they have produced this new engine and the cost will be significantly less to produce and has extended longevity making its value to the customer substantially greater. Nor was some other breakthrough announced that would make me change my direction in my project build. Innovation is good, not sure I want to pay for innovation at the front end for what I want.

All these innovations are improving fuel economy, driveability and reliability. Awesome, great news from Detroit!! They are raising the bar again!! I'm not sure that these innovations will trickle down into the Hot Rod industry any time soon. The Gen III/IV engines were available for several years and a few people with very technical expertise and proficiency were able to use these for the first 5 to 8 years before they were ever really "retooled" and made available for the average person to install in their hot rods. The fact that there is a ready market for these Gen V engines and there already is a line of business at GM to market these engines to the hot rod community means that this might be available in 3 to 5 years and be competitive with current Gen III/IV options.

I'm not holding my breath, and I'm going to run an LS1. Sure I could open my wallet and get a better LS3, LS7 or an LSX, but why?? I will seldom use the engine to its full potential, and I will have the power, performance, weight savings and driveability of the Gen III engine, which isn't that much different than what the Gen V will offer. All I wanted was a modern handling car, with a modern engine and transmission wrapped in classic iron, and an ability to say I did that myself. For now the Gen V engine just puts a bigger price tag on the engine, and limits the options to modify the power plant. In the future, who knows what will be available and what that engine package will do, but for now it just looks like extra cost for minimal gains in power.

XLexusTech
11-01-2012, 07:54 PM
Hopefully it will drive down LS prices... but No it wont change my plans to use one....

andrew69_04
11-03-2012, 09:37 AM
LSx all the way

Vegas69
11-03-2012, 09:44 AM
The leap from the LS to the LT1 is not even close in comparison from a Gen 1 small block to the LS. I'd venture to say that the LT1 will prove to be less reliable due to the high pressure pump. Anytime you add complexity, you decrease reliability. :D

Obsin71Ls1
11-03-2012, 02:55 PM
. Anytime you add complexity, you decrease reliability. :D
The same was said when GM went from the proven Gen I/II SBC to the gen III. Direct fuel injection is not anything new and certainly not a cause for concern with regard to reliability.

Efi69Cam
11-04-2012, 08:39 AM
I don't buy the reliabiliy argument against DI. High pressure DI pumps have been used on diesel engines for a long time.

As Mike said what is going to slow the use of these engines in the hot rod market is the aftermarket support. From what I've read so far the new ECM is locked up pretty tight. That's not say the aftermarket will not step up but it will be awhile.

kainedogg
11-21-2012, 04:56 PM
I can't even afford a crate LS7 yet. I shudder to think what this new motor will cost. On the other hand, if the direct injection allows me to run a lot of boost, with a lot of compression, then when it's tossed into an affordable vehicle (Camaro Z28 LT1 :lol: ) I might buy it.

WSSix
11-21-2012, 10:15 PM
The same was said when GM went from the proven Gen I/II SBC to the gen III. Direct fuel injection is not anything new and certainly not a cause for concern with regard to reliability.

GM's had direct injection on the V6 CTS for a while now. I'm unaware of any major issues with that system. I'm with you, I seriously doubt there will be any major reliability issues with the design.

Vegas69
11-22-2012, 12:26 AM
Time will tell....:yes:

I did a quick search and one thing I found is pretty interesting. On a direct injection engine, the intake valve never see's any fuel but they do see dirt, combustion vapor(Oil), and oil from the valve guide. The additives in fuel help keep the back of the valve clean in non direct injected engines. This could lead to drivability issues and additional maintenence.

I also noticed that some direct injected CTS engines suffered timing chain problems. The lobe on the camshaft for the high pressure pump will increase the load and frequency on the chain.

MarkM66
11-22-2012, 07:44 AM
Yeah, DI has been around awhile in gas engines, and so have the problems Todds post states. Not to mention that second fuel pump that's extremely loud , and make the engine sound like a diesel when running, IMO.

GRob
11-28-2012, 08:58 AM
Time will tell....:yes:

I did a quick search and one thing I found is pretty interesting. On a direct injection engine, the intake valve never see's any fuel but they do see dirt, combustion vapor(Oil), and oil from the valve guide. The additives in fuel help keep the back of the valve clean in non direct injected engines. This could lead to drivability issues and additional maintenence.

I also noticed that some direct injected CTS engines suffered timing chain problems. The lobe on the camshaft for the high pressure pump will increase the load and frequency on the chain.

While this has been true in the past (Audi RS4 anyone?), I believe that this problem is for the most part solved on the current gen DI engines - but yes, it could be a potential issue for sure.

Stuart Adams
11-28-2012, 10:20 AM
Interesting topic. It will be cool to see what shakes out down the road. :thumbsup: