PDA

View Full Version : Cyl Head Options

rwhite692
01-31-2006, 08:44 AM
OK so I am considering different (Aluminum) cyl head options for my TT engine. Goal is to make around 800 HP on pump gas with around 9 PSI. CID will be somewhere between 415 and 427, dart lil M block, standard deck height, 23 degree. I am looking for a relatively "good out of the box" cylinder head which I won't have to add too much assembly work/cost into, I would like to just do my port matching and be done.

This is my first foray into a turbo application and I'm reading everything I can on the subject. It is of course easy to get into the stratoshere with head options (Do I really wan't/need sodium filled exhaust valves??)

From what I'm reading for this engine I'd want runner size to be in the 220CC range. static CR around 8.5:1.

threestar40
01-31-2006, 04:16 PM
Whatever head you use, I read an awesome article a mod on the Cometic Head gaskets in this months hot rod. Gas filled pressurized o rings.

Sounded like very trick stuff...you should definitely check into it.

No Machining the head or block required. If your aiming to make that much HP on that little amount of boost, I suppose it's all about doing the math on the flow numbers to make sure all your hardware is capable of that.

Tell me, what's the difference between 18 deg. and 23 deg. heads?

I guess 23 is the stock config. and 18 degrees is a hotter modified valve angle?

Sorry, I know that is kind of a rank novice kind of question especially in this company.

It looks like your certainly doing your homework...I wasn't going to post this until later, but here is the rough install of my intercooler setup. Gotta do something about that chrome pipe, but it has 3 45's in it! Should I chrome the rest or powder coat it all?

Rick =)http://threestar40.home.mindspring.com/plumbit%20006.jpg

rwhite692
02-01-2006, 12:32 AM
Hey Rick- Your truck is really coming along nicely. Keep the pics coming!! How close are you to firing it up??

I am using the Banks setup also. Yes you are on track...the 18 vs. 23 is the valve face angle as compared to the deck plane. The 18 degree configuration opens up design possibilities to get a "straighter shot" for the intake charge into the combustion chamber.

threestar40
02-01-2006, 07:10 PM
I'm a while away from firing it up...I gotta finish wiring and build an exhaust sytem...I'm thinking late spring, early summer. I got a gew more parts in today...mufflers, beam indicators, signal indicators, other stuff...believe it or not, if you overlook or skip something as simple as beam and signal indicators, it prevents you from going further on wiring and installing the entire dash. I have a whole new respect for the term "parts flow".

I will update with pics. more soon, I'm just starting to be a little embarrassed about my workmanship as evidenced by the above pic. I have now Idea what I am going to do about all my "esthetic" problems...it's like me to leave it and just not show it to anybody.

:(

Rick :cool: :cheers: :lateral: :morepower

slow4dr
02-02-2006, 10:08 AM
OK so I am considering different (Aluminum) cyl head options for my TT engine. Goal is to make around 800 HP on pump gas with around 9 PSI. CID will be somewhere between 415 and 427, dart lil M block, standard deck height, 23 degree. I am looking for a relatively "good out of the box" cylinder head which I won't have to add too much assembly work/cost into, I would like to just do my port matching and be done.

This is my first foray into a turbo application and I'm reading everything I can on the subject. It is of course easy to get into the stratoshere with head options (Do I really wan't/need sodium filled exhaust valves??)

From what I'm reading for this engine I'd want runner size to be in the 220CC range. static CR around 8.5:1.

I actually received a part # for the Banks/Dart head about a week ago. I haven't received word about when they will be available or pricing.

-Jason