PDA

View Full Version : Gas Tank question-Fuel Injection.

almcbri
12-04-2005, 09:54 PM
Well I have been considering modifying a stock new tank to work with a fuel injection style engine. I am running a fuel injected TBI 5.7L 350. 325-350HP
Can I take a stock tank and replace it with this style of fuel pump and be ready to go?
http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=84/category_id=61/home_id=61/mode=prod/prd84.htm
Will I need anything else? Any type of special venting added to the tank?

Thanks for any feedback, I am having a tough time figuring out what exactly I need to do.

ilovefirstgens
12-04-2005, 10:24 PM
i happen to have that exact kit waiting to go in my tank and if you can wait a week or two ill have some feedback for you. also could just be me but their packing sucked and a couple bolts got lost...

MaxHarvard
12-07-2005, 04:20 PM
Shouldnt this be moved to the fuel section ;)

Derek69SS
12-07-2005, 04:53 PM
I was looking at that kit too. I'll be watching this topic closely :yes:

almcbri
12-07-2005, 05:52 PM
Shouldnt this be moved to the fuel section http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/images/smilies/slywink.gif
I don't know why I put this here. I guess due to the electrical.

Brian,

I can't wait to hear some feedback from you.

I called Tanks Inc. Today. Turns out their pumps are adjustable up to 10.5" So it will fit many applications. Thought that was a cool feature.

907rs
12-07-2005, 08:26 PM
It should work for your application Andrew, but that baffle isn't very tall.

69MyWay
12-08-2005, 07:20 PM
Well I have been considering modifying a stock new tank to work with a fuel injection style engine. I am running a fuel injected TBI 5.7L 350. 325-350HP
Can I take a stock tank and replace it with this style of fuel pump and be ready to go?
http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=84/category_id=61/home_id=61/mode=prod/prd84.htm
Will I need anything else? Any type of special venting added to the tank?

Thanks for any feedback, I am having a tough time figuring out what exactly I need to do.

TBI as in Throttle BODY Injection, or Tuned Port Injection? The reason I ask is the TBI only requires about 9 PSI to run even if you are pushing 350 hp. The TPI will require 30-45 PSI.

If you are going TBI I would think this pump is overkill because you will have to put a major regulator on it that will cause excessive heat and build up of pressure against the pump.

If you are TBI you would save a lot of time and trouble by getting a simple in-line pump and mount it on the rear frame rail.

almcbri
12-09-2005, 12:18 PM
thanks for the reply

I think you might be right as that is a bit much of overkill. I am running a TBI-Throttle Body Injection. I bought the engine out of a 93 caddilac 5.7L 350 with 10K miles. I payed 350.00 for the whole set-up so I couldn't pass it up.
I hear many guys say TBI is junk, but I think it is reliable and not a bad set-up.

I wonder if the cars and trucks that ran a TBI had pumps in the tank or on the outside? Might be a good choice to just buy a stock pump for the set-up and go from there.

907rs
12-09-2005, 12:30 PM
I wonder if the cars and trucks that ran a TBI had pumps in the tank or on the outside? Might be a good choice to just buy a stock pump for the set-up and go from there.

I know the early versions did.

Derek69SS
12-12-2005, 12:51 PM
I've parted out a '92 and a 93 caprice with TBI 305s and both had in-tank pumps.

ilovefirstgens
12-12-2005, 04:10 PM
Well i just finished the install and not only was it a pita, but i doubt it will ever work if i have less than a half tank of gas, with the angles i had to not only cut it to a much shgorter length and drill new holes, but to put a bend in it for it to sit against the bottom of the tank.

I would not reccomend this kit whatsoever and plan on replacing it witha ricks tank as soon as i can afford it.

Unfortunately i don't have a camera to show you guys how rediculous this thing looks haha

Derek69SS
12-12-2005, 04:22 PM
Damn :( I had the numbers all dialed and ready to call and order one when I saw this..

My chevelle's tank is pretty flat on the bottom, so it looks like it *should* work OK. Anyone else have any experience with these?

Musclerodz
12-13-2005, 12:09 PM
The small baffle concerns me with this kit.

The only concern with buying a stock pump is that the pump and senser is one unit on all the ones I have seen. I would check out some other pumps first.

Mike

907rs
12-13-2005, 12:57 PM
The only concern with buying a stock pump is that the pump and senser is one unit on all the ones I have seen. I would check out some other pumps first.

Mike

The pump is actually just attached via clamps to the whole unit. It's piece of cake to change once the tank is dropped; or better yet, it's a good excuse too add an access panel in the trunk floor.

Musclerodz
12-13-2005, 02:31 PM
yes, access panel always a good idea.

Mike

lt1 chevelle
01-02-2006, 01:44 AM
im puting a lt1 into my 65 chevelle and for the fuel system i put a sump on my stock tank and ran mds's frame mount fuel pump that runs into my fuel rain to the fuel pressure regulator to the return line on the sump. the pic shows how im running them to the fuel rails.