PDA

View Full Version : Malitude

clill
09-21-2005, 11:42 PM
This is a crappy video of the Malitude running against a rel 427 Cobra. Ran 11.98@119 I think. That is putting it in drive and going. It was a slug off the line but once it got going it pulled pretty hard. http://www.lateral-g.org/movies/malitude.wmv

race-rodz
09-21-2005, 11:46 PM
looked like a decent race up until the guys hat got in the way :mad:

a real 427 cobra and malitude..... thats something you dont see everyday :thumbsup:

clill
09-22-2005, 12:01 AM
I probably made 10 passes that day. Slowly kept turning up the boost. Best pass was I think 11.75@123 at 14 or 15 lbs boost. Was gonna add a little more but the track got hot and the car would start to go sideways when it hit 2nd so I called it a day. I still need to figure out how to make boost at the line.

Blown353
09-22-2005, 12:15 AM
I still need to figure out how to make boost at the line.

How much can you powerbrake it without it trying to push through the lights? I used to powerbrake to launch at the strip with my Turbo Trans Am (I used the E-brake too, actually) and I could build about 14 psi of boost on the line. I could build more, but then the car would go up in smoke when I launched.

If you can't powerbrake it, you could always do a transbrake. Depending on how tight the converter is, it may not rev up enough to build a lot of boost. The surefire way to do it is with a 2-step and timing retard; powerbrake/transbrake it and bounce it off the 2-step RPM limiter, and the timing retard makes the fires burn in the exhaust more than the cylinder, and that will spool up the turbos and build a lot of boost. Sounds cool too. :D

Troy

race-rodz
09-22-2005, 01:53 AM
im guessing this was on "street" tires...and that makes it all the more impressive. i would imagine an increase in boost off the line would reslut in a lot less traction, a pretty easy fix with a set of good tires(the new et streets are proving great at our local strip) im sure one of the trans guys would have an idea about a trans brake kinda deal(not sure how a trans brake works with elec controlled trans) the only drawback to the "powerbraking" is that you are pre-loading the suspension.... forcing that much more shock to the tires.... but it could work if the tires hold.

regardless im still impressed with the 11's on "real" street tires.... if thats in fact what its still got on it.

ProdigyCustoms
09-22-2005, 05:32 AM
I knew that Charlie was a wild man wearing that thing out! Damn that Cobra had a tall gear, I was holding m breath waiting for it to shift!

CAMAROBOY69
09-22-2005, 06:33 AM
Thanks for posting the video Charley. Its always nice to see these awesome cars in action. :thumbsup: Were you running street tires or did you slap on some slicks for the strip?

Bill Howell
09-22-2005, 07:02 AM
How about a mustang clip?

Steve Chryssos
09-22-2005, 07:34 AM
I probably made 10 passes that day. Slowly kept turning up the boost. Best pass was I think 11.75@123 at 14 or 15 lbs boost. Was gonna add a little more but the track got hot and the car would start to go sideways when it hit 2nd so I called it a day. I still need to figure out how to make boost at the line.

Just build a "Drag Race" transmission calibration file and load it when you get to the track. You HAVE the technology.

clill
09-22-2005, 08:58 AM
It has drag radials on it but they weren't needed. I tried power braking it but it would push the car anyway. Hard trying to watch the Xmas tree and boost guage at the same time. Kurt at Wheel to Wheel can get it up on boost but I still have to figure it out..I'll do some tinkering. I am not going to drag race it enough to warrant a trans brake install. Someone suggested revving the engine before applying the brakes to pull more vacumn for the power brakes. I thought the convertor would allow it to flash up enough but it doesn't. Leaving it in drive it would shift into overdrive going through the lights. Friends said it sounded neat, like a vacumn cleaner.

race-rodz
09-22-2005, 02:20 PM
sounded neat, like a vacumn cleaner.

would that be one of the new super cyclonic vacs...or a good ole fashioned hoover :unibrow:

USAZR1
09-22-2005, 02:59 PM
Just add a small 100shot of nitrous,Charlie. That will spool the turbo up almost instantly.

Musclerodz
09-22-2005, 03:40 PM
What about a pinion e-brake? It would be easier to hold still before the ratio is multiplied

Mike

race-rodz
09-22-2005, 06:24 PM
as im just learning about the elec controled trans... is it possible to program in a "trans brake" feature?

Steve Chryssos
09-22-2005, 07:27 PM
No. No trans-brake feature. But if he has more boost off the line he can calibrate the TCU to short-shift or soften the 1-2 shift to limit wheelspin. The calibration process is as easy as checking your email.

Edit:
There is also a transmission controller made by a company called Powertrain Control Solutions that that can vary your transmission calibration relative to boost/ It analyzes input from both your TPS sensor and your MAP sensor to determine load. The computer "trims" your calibration when boost is present.