PDA

View Full Version : ... and mine was put to sleep

jannes_z-28
09-05-2005, 01:31 PM
This weekend I pulled my old engine out. It is already sold and the guy who bought it is picking it up tomorrow.

No more bigblock rumble, no more fun driving for many months.

But new times will come, modern LS1 power is around the corner.

This is how she looks at the moment. When the engine is out of the garage I will clean everything and put all painted parts in protective plastic.

http://www.protouring.se/files/gone_to_sleep.jpg

Jan

awr68
09-05-2005, 02:47 PM
You seem to have it torn down more than drivable...at least that's how it's been as long as I've known you!! :)

Congrats on selling the BB, I know you'll love the LSx swap...weight loss and better gas milage are a huge pluss these days!!

What trans are you planing on using???

jonny51
09-05-2005, 02:53 PM
Anthony I think he got a T-56 LS1 combo out of a camaro.

jannes_z-28
09-05-2005, 03:10 PM
You seem to have it torn down more than drivable...at least that's how it's been as long as I've known you!! :)

Congrats on selling the BB, I know you'll love the LSx swap...weight loss and better gas milage are a huge pluss these days!!

What trans are you planing on using???

Yes Tony, you have seen it even worse than it is now. Two years ago it was down to the bones. This time the frame will stay on (its welded to the SFC so it will stay on). I think I'll let the suspension stat together too, except for a change of front springs.

The reason for taking the front of is that it will be easier to fit the new engine and building headers.

About the trans, yes as Johnny already noted, it will be a LS1/T56 combo from a 2002 Camaro SS. It only had 41000 miles on it. I got it for $4200, a pretty good deal I think.

I will not do much to the engine this time, plans for now is just to get it functional and running and then hop it up some.

Next major thing with the car that has to be done in a few years time is new paint and some rust repair. It still has all original body metal, it was just repainted in 1993 by a former owner. There are now a few small rustbubbles at the standard places.

Jan

onebad68
09-05-2005, 08:21 PM
Was that an aluminum block?

Autokraft
09-05-2005, 09:35 PM
Jan,

Even though your garage is a mess, it still is really cool. lol!!

Looks like you have a nice place to work on your ride. You will be happy with that LS1. The coolest part is when you fire it up, you never have to touch the throttle. It just starts. Thats so cool!!!!!!!

Gotta love all that new technology.

Kurt

www.autokraft.org

jannes_z-28
09-06-2005, 12:39 AM
Was that an aluminum block?

No it is a ZL-1 clone, just painted with aluminum color.

Jan

jannes_z-28
09-06-2005, 12:44 AM
Jan,

Even though your garage is a mess, it still is really cool. lol!!

Looks like you have a nice place to work on your ride. You will be happy with that LS1. The coolest part is when you fire it up, you never have to touch the throttle. It just starts. Thats so cool!!!!!!!

Gotta love all that new technology.

Kurt

www.autokraft.org

Yes it is a mess right now. I can't do much about it until he picks up the engine. After that I can move the car and take car off all parts laying on the floor. It is not very large but there is enough room to work on one car. I know guys who has so small places that they can just fit the car and barely open the door onit.

One of the aspects with the LSX engines is the level of high-tech. Since I am a tech-nerd I will love it.

Jan

CAMAROBOY69
09-06-2005, 06:59 AM
Congrats on the new LS1 engine Jan. Your car was already so nice and you had a lot of fun. Now with the LS1 it will be even better. Another modern touch to set it apart from the rest. That engine and trans arrived a lot faster than I though it would. :thumbsup:

jannes_z-28
09-06-2005, 07:27 AM
I have to wait for the LS1 for many weeks to come. It's just that I already sold the old one and got paid for it. The guy who bought it will pick it up today.

The LS1 should be out on the ocean right now.

Jan

Steve Chryssos
09-06-2005, 08:38 PM
From the photos, it's hard to believe that your paint job is more that 12 years old. Congrats on the LS1. I'm sure you will be impressed by the more linear power curve.
/Steevo

4mm
09-06-2005, 11:03 PM
Good move Jan, does big block American iron fetch good money over there?