PDA

View Full Version : Crankcase Vacuum

threestar40
08-29-2005, 09:01 AM
Anyone want to talk about crankcase vacuum in a forced induction application?

I know about venting through the valve covers with with breathers, but in a turbo application, would it be prudent to use a vacuum pump and if so, how would it be plumbed exactly.

I've seen the set up many times in a race application, they just dump into the headers, but in a street application, that would obviously be unacceptable because of the unavoidable oil that would end up in the exhaust stream.

Thoughts?

Rick =) :patriot:

slow4dr
08-29-2005, 03:52 PM
Anyone want to talk about crankcase vacuum in a forced induction application?

I know about venting through the valve covers with with breathers, but in a turbo application, would it be prudent to use a vacuum pump and if so, how would it be plumbed exactly.

I've seen the set up many times in a race application, they just dump into the headers, but in a street application, that would obviously be unacceptable because of the unavoidable oil that would end up in the exhaust stream.

Thoughts?

Rick =) :patriot:

"catch cans"

Greddy makes a nice one.

https://secure11.nexternal.com/greddy/images/OilCatchHC.jpg

This will keep oil out of the intake tract while still allowing proper crankcase ventilation

slow4dr
08-29-2005, 03:55 PM
You will need to run a line before the turbo inlet to the catch can. This is the only place that always sees vacuum. The other line from the catch can will go directly to the valve covers.

threestar40
08-29-2005, 06:33 PM
Kick Ass.

Thanks Jason =)

Rick :patriot: :cool:

Y-TRY
08-30-2005, 03:50 PM
What are some choices for valve cover breathers? Anyone see particularly cool stuff out there?

hotwheels
10-23-2005, 11:32 AM
i am running a twinturbo mustang and just have breather's on my valve cover's and they aren't that expensive, just the cheap one's that are colored blue from autozone......

a friend of mine built his own catch can using one of those little oil/water seperator's you buy for a garage air compressor........work's really good....