PDA

View Full Version : Shop lighting

XcYZ
10-02-2008, 12:05 PM
Since I won't be doing any major car projects this winter, I'm going to focus on finally finishing off my garage/shop. I'm thinking about making all the lights recessed. I know it will take more fixtures to get the same lighting as what you can get from flush mounted, but I don't exactly have a huge space.

Has anyone else done that? Are there other options I should be looking at?

Roger M
10-02-2008, 12:23 PM
If you are thinking about using recessed cans, you are correct in that it will require more fixtures to produce a decent amount of light and the cost to run them will be higher. There are companies that make recessed fluorescent fixtures (example http://www.goodmart.com/products/1101619.htm ) which might be more economical in the long run.

Garage Dog 65
10-02-2008, 08:48 PM
Hi Scott,

In my current garage I have surface mounted fluorescent modules, But.

In my previous garage I recessed 2 x 4 four bulb fluorescent 'troffler' style dropped ceiling units into the ceiling - 2 per bay (one over engine and one over trunk). They are inexpensive - and sometimes free from office building remodulers if you look around. Use natural day light bulbs for best effect.

Recess them by installing the units between the ceiling joists by cutting away the drywall and 'flush' mounting them to the joist directly. To trim them out - I used 2.5 wide door casings 45'd in the corners like a picture frame and finish nailed them to the joist and caulked on both sides of the casing. I got mine free and the only cost was the better bulbs I wanted. I also did my Dad's garage that way - so yell if you need pics and I'll get them.

And don't forget to wire the hot line from the switch to the light so that when the switch is off - there is no power to/in the lighting circuit. Don't power the assys full time and only switch the return wire. A short in the ballast or somewhere in the circuit if wired hot has resulted in a ceiling fire - and I'd hate to see that gorgeous car get burned to the ground.

Jim

ADDED:

I also recommend recessed 'task' lights while you're in there - with fluorescent for bright general area lighting.

bulldog19
10-03-2008, 05:41 AM
Scott, There are many different options. The traditinal recessed will give the ceiling a cleaner look and now there are flouresent recessed lights and even LED. Other factors to take into consideration are how the walls and floor are finished. Drywalled and painted walls? Floor bare concrete or painted? If you can tell me the size area and how the walls/ceiling are finished i can give you some options for lighting. I can also tell you how many fixtures are needed to achieve the desired brightness as well as placement of the fixtures for even illumination. I own an electrical supply house and can supply you the fixtures as well if you desire. Shipping to you is not a problem. Let me know how i can help!
Thanks
John

Blake Foster
10-03-2008, 10:05 AM
Well Bulldog, i am in the same process on my home garage (the 10,000sqft one i work in everyday isn't big enough) mine is 3/4 of a 2 car garage one bay 10x22 and then the front 1/2 of the second bay in an L shape 12x15. the floor has alwaays been covered with carpet so i will epoxy paint it a light grey. the walls will be semi gloss white.
one tip we found at the big shop is we only use "Daylight" flouresssent bulbs, they are about double the price of cool white but man what a differance in the amount of light. i will use these bulbs at home also.

XcYZ
10-03-2008, 11:50 AM
John, it's just a small 24x24 garage. It will have drywalled and painted walls and ceiling. Not sure about the floor right now, but I'd like to coat it at some point, might be a good project next summer. At the moment, it's just bare concrete.

I'd like to have it extremely bright, almost painful when working on the car. lol Maybe have multiple circuits? What do you think about using the small can recessed lights over the workbench/countertops?

I just like the idea of nothing hanging off the ceiling. I know these options aren't cheap, but I don't have that much space.

awr68
10-03-2008, 05:31 PM
Scott my cousin flush mounted 2'x4' 4 tube fixtures in his garage ceiling and then used L-metal to trim them out. The L-metal is kind of like corner bead, you can find it at any store that sells drywall, ect. This makes for a very clean look!

He also used two wall switches so he could turn on half the tubes if he wanted or power up all by just flipping another switch. Sometimes you don't need everything on at once...especially if you install plenty of light like I like to do!

I have under counter task lighting at my work bench and really like it!

Are you going to do the drywall finishing?

Fluid Power
10-03-2008, 06:19 PM
Scott,

This has been beaten to death on my second favorite site:

http://garagejournal.com/

Search lighting and be prepared to burn some hours reading the posts....great info at this place...

Darren

bulldog19
10-04-2008, 07:50 AM
Scott, yes you can put the regular recessed over the work bench and flourescents in the bay area where you are working on the car. The other thing than can be done is with the flourescent fixutres they come with 4-tubes. To keep the cost down there is one ballast that runs all 4-lamps as all ballast nowadays are electronic, which are more efficent and quieter. I can order the fixture where there would be 2-ballasts each running 2-lamps so you could control how much light you wanted. Another option is the actual lense on the fixture. The normal lense is called a "prismatic" where it's somewhat clear, the norm in office buildings and strip stores. We could do a "parabolic" lense which is open lense, polished silver in appearance color, and cubed design. They cut down on glare and force all the light down. I ran the dimensions, with a 10' ceiling and to acheive a nice bright 75 footcandle average i reccomend 9-fixtures to light the garage. I used the parabloic fixture while more expensive it does a better job. The fixture are about $75-80 each + the tubes which can vary depending upon color rendering trmperature you decide on. The basic ones are $1.50 each but will make the red car look horrible!! The recessed over the work bench with a halogen bulb for plenty of light are about $20 ea for all parts and a basic white trim. The trims can also be in the polished silver to match the trim of the flourescents if you want. Let me know if you need any more info, i'll be glad to help any way i can. I can send you a layout for fixture placement when you get to that point.
Here's my e-mail: [email protected]
You can never have enough lighting in the garage and never enough receptacles and circuits. Also recessed around the perimeter is nice to highlight pictures and magazines articles, like yor recent feature when it's framed hanging on the walls. Think about receptacles high on the wall for neon or clocks. Have half the swtch operated by a switch for the neon so to eliminate a pull cord to turn it on.
Thanks
John

bulldog19
10-04-2008, 08:22 AM
Blake, let me know what your plans are for the space. I'll be glad to help anyway i can. Whether it be with layout and even supplting product. It may get expensive to ship. I could even swap product for product if you want.
Thanks
John

J2SpeedandCustom
10-04-2008, 03:59 PM
I also hate working under the car or inside and not have enough light! Putting some long flourescents on the walls about 3' off the ground makes a HUGE difference. Try using the T8 bulbs/fixtures instead of the T12's. The T8's are much brighter in my opinion.

Also look into getting a PDR light. https://www.autobodytoolmart.com/p-10863-13307.aspx I know there kind of expensive BUT man are they worth the money!!! Awesome for detailing, polishing working in the engine bay under the car.

awr68
10-04-2008, 05:41 PM
The parabolic lens is nice and works great...but my experianse is that they don't like dust! Hard to clean! They would be fine for a show room/service type toom...but if you plan on grinding or doing wood working I would say it's a bad idea. And if you decide to go this route deffinatly cover them while doing the drywall! Don't ask how I know this! :_paranoid

itsals1
10-05-2008, 06:55 PM
Scott, My house garage has can lighting in it and I love that there is nothing hanging down. The down side is you need to go and figure out the cone of light that will come from your can light, I sure if you asked a professional electric supply company they would give lots of free advise. I went with halogen lighting over my work benches because I do not heat my garage yet, and floresent lights just do not hold up well in our cold cliamate, they seem to go through balasts.

Travis

J2SpeedandCustom
10-05-2008, 08:46 PM
Try T5's which is known as full spectrum lighting. http://www.ultimategarage.com/shop/part.php?products_id=2179

Jeff

We have those in the shop but it's 22ft ceilings. I wouldn't want those in anything less than that they are STUPID bright!!! http://www.fullspectrumsolutions.com/commercial_lighting_fixtures_35_ctg.htm Make sure to get the ones with the stainless steel backing to reflect the light.

Scott you could do those on the recessed ones. Polished stainless backing really makes the light reflect down.

mazspeed
10-05-2008, 11:32 PM
Scott, what is your ceiling height? What can you spend on lighting? is the garage finished yet, i.e. drywall and such? Do you have a sub panel in your garage, or can you get one dedicated lighting circuit in there? LED is also an option, but it's more expensive, but very energy conservative. T8's is your best bet, but I for one hate normal florescent lighting. I design stuff like this, so let me know what you have and want and Ill help you out.

XcYZ
10-06-2008, 07:49 AM
The ceiling is 9' 2". The garage/shop's only purpose in life is for working on and storing the car. Nothing goes in there unless it's car related.

I have a dedicated panel in the shop, it's not a branch. LED lighting sounds interesting, I'm going to do some research on that. I keep the shop heated in the winter, but only just about freezing.

As for budget, I'm pretty open. Since I'm only finishing off the walls and adding lights to a 24x24 garage, it's not a huge project. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the links, guys. I'm going to go check them out.

mazspeed
10-06-2008, 11:30 AM
The ceiling is 9' 2". The garage/shop's only purpose in life is for working on and storing the car. Nothing goes in there unless it's car related.

I have a dedicated panel in the shop, it's not a branch. LED lighting sounds interesting, I'm going to do some research on that. I keep the shop heated in the winter, but only just about freezing.

As for budget, I'm pretty open. Since I'm only finishing off the walls and adding lights to a 24x24 garage, it's not a huge project. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the links, guys. I'm going to go check them out.

Ok, I got the jist of the garage function. Perfect. Ill call you after work today to give you my opinions on lighting. leave your number in my mailbox.