PDA

View Full Version : New Individual intake runner LS1 manifold

Payton King
08-09-2005, 08:36 AM
Sorry Scott, but this is too cool not to see. On pro-touring under the fuel injection section there is a new intake for LS1 motors. It is an individual runner manifold that is unbelievable. I would post the photos here but I am not to handy with a key board. They are being made "Down Under"

Let me know what you guys think.

jannes_z-28
08-09-2005, 09:45 AM
I am handy :unibrow:

http://www.300kws.com/photos/harrop9.jpg
http://www.300kws.com/photos/harrop8.jpg

Looks really cool

Jan

Steve1968LS2
08-09-2005, 10:07 AM
I have already contacted them about doing a story on this.. they offered me a "good guy" price but it is still some serious coin.

The exchange rate helps.. I went to exchangerate.com or something like that and a dollar is worth about 1.31 AUD's. So if it is 4200AUD for the intake and install kit then it is about $3200 USD.

I have no idea why I need the whole install kit though.. the main part is holden/GTO specific (a shroud).. :dunno:

I bet gains with this are minimum but it sure is COOL looking.. reminds me of the motor in the streetfighter diecast a bit.

In the FI section there is a post with a link to guy installing it in his Holden. I don't see a MAF used so that must get deleted.. I just thought it was something new that would make a cool story, not sure it is worth $3k of my cash to be the US guinie pig.. lol

Thing is bad ass looking though..

jonny51
08-09-2005, 11:27 AM
Very nice!It kind of gives the LSx more of the classic look ,which I like. :yes:

Payton King
08-09-2005, 01:30 PM
yea, looks like a cam-am car...and I am glad you were handy and got those pics over here.

gts300
08-11-2005, 04:37 AM
Hi,

The photo's in this thread are of my car.

It is a 2000 HSV GTS300. It has a 383 stroker and we recently fitted the Harrop 8 Throttle Body Manifold.

In case you were wondering, the new manifold hasn't dramatically increased the power output of the engine, but the throttle response is a factor of times better than what it was (and it wasn't too bad before with the 383).

Tuning wise, I had a local engine builder who does V8Supercars and Offshore power boat engines, so tuning an 8TB setup wasn't anything new to him. There have been others in Australia tuned by far less experienced tuners and they have made a total mess of it.

The car is driven daily, and is very well behaved for such a combination. It puts out around 410hp at the rear wheels which is good considering it is running a very conservative cam and has only had minor head work.

cheers
Geoff.

XcYZ
08-11-2005, 07:28 AM
Welcome, Geoff! That intake looks great on the LSx motor. Very cool. :thumbsup:

Payton King
08-11-2005, 09:00 AM
I can only imagine the response with this intake.

In the immortal words of Farris...."If you have the means, I highly reccommend you pick one up, it is so choice."

The look is almost worth the price of admission. I keep telling myself no.

XcYZ
08-11-2005, 09:21 AM
Payton, it's calling your name... :unibrow: :D

T Bell
08-11-2005, 09:35 AM
too rich for my blood. But it is slick. I had to look back at the pictures to notice that the runners are fed by the air filter on the opposite side. Making the runners longer but still fitting under the hood. :thumbsup:

Steve1968LS2
08-11-2005, 10:50 AM
I've been trying to communicate with Harwood about this but every email I send takes 3 days to get responded to.. I though it would make a cool tech story.

I would think they could sell a bunch of these here in the states if they tried.

Payton King
08-11-2005, 03:46 PM
I told myself no more tricky stuff until my car is done. I have changed it too much as it is. If I am riding by Christmas...it might be a good addition in the spring.

Still waiting for those lottery tickets to pay off.

Steve1968LS2
08-11-2005, 04:14 PM
The company is "Harrop Engineering" Harrop (http://www.harrop.com.au)

They are the premier race engineering firm in Australia. Recently they have started doing "race" based engineering solutions for road cars. There would be less than 60 of these manifolds in existence at present, I only know one other guy with the same manifold (on a 427ci stroker with a C5R block).

The beauty of these manifolds is you end up with an engine that is "Much" better behaved, which means you can go with a more agressive cam than if you were running a single TB setup.

Well, they need to "engineer" a better way to answer email.. especially when it entails free advertising..

Payton King
08-12-2005, 03:03 PM
How much do you think for just the intake and airboxes...not the shroud?

Steve1968LS2
08-12-2005, 04:22 PM

That is what I have been trying to figure out.. they are somewhat lacking in the CS department.. and calling is too big of a PITA..

68LS1
08-13-2005, 02:53 AM
Hi Steve

What email address have you been using? I'm local to Harrop and someone from there might be a tune day tomorrow, I'll see if i can get some response for you.

Roger

TUF383
08-13-2005, 06:22 PM

The price is about US$2650 (+ freight) for the manifold without the airboxes as almost shown here. (http://www.harrop.com.au/root_folder/misc_images/hurricane-2.html)
"Almost" because it still shows 1 airbox. ;)

TUF383
08-13-2005, 06:40 PM
That is what I have been trying to figure out.. they are somewhat lacking in the CS department.. and calling is too big of a PITA..

Hi Steve ...
Sorry you have been having trouble making contact. Our email has been working fine, so I don't know what has been causing the grief you have experienced. It would be very rare that we do not respond to an enquiry within 24 hours of receipt (assuming there is no viruses attached to the email :D )... I am confident that most of our customers will confirm that we take Customer Service very seriously.
Please re-send your emails to [email protected] and I will ensure we investigate the cause of the tardy responses. (I assume you have been sending them to [email protected] and not [email protected] ;) )

The prices for the Hurricane and Holden Installation Kit are shown individually here. (http://www.harrop.com.au/root_folder/harrop_manifolds/amfd7022-00.html) The price for items exported from Oz do not incurr the dreaded Goods & Services Tax (GST) of 10%, and the currency exchange rate is around US$1.00 = A$0.75, so to calculate the manifold price for you would be the list price of A$3,850 less 10%, times 0.75 = US$2,625 + freight.
:)

Steve1968LS2
08-13-2005, 07:50 PM
Hi Steve ...
Sorry you have been having trouble making contact. Our email has been working fine, so I don't know what has been causing the grief you have experienced. It would be very rare that we do not respond to an enquiry within 24 hours of receipt (assuming there is no viruses attached to the email :D )... I am confident that most of our customers will confirm that we take Customer Service very seriously.
Please re-send your emails to [email protected] and I will ensure we investigate the cause of the tardy responses. (I assume you have been sending them to [email protected] and not [email protected] ;) )

The prices for the Hurricane and Holden Installation Kit are shown individually here. (http://www.harrop.com.au/root_folder/harrop_manifolds/amfd7022-00.html) The price for items exported from Oz do not incurr the dreaded Goods & Services Tax (GST) of 10%, and the currency exchange rate is around US$1.00 = A$0.75, so to calculate the manifold price for you would be the list price of A$3,850 less 10%, times 0.75 = US$2,625 + freight.
:)

The only problem with the service was slow email response. When I got a response it was good.. :)

I had been emailing with someone in your customer service area. I will email you on Monday and attach copies of the emails back and forth and the persons name. They first email was to the general box then a specific person emailed me back (forgot the name but I have the file). The one reason I got for the delay was that you guy are very busy, which I can understand.

No worries on my side, I just get impatient from the excitement of seeing a new product and your intake was pretty interesting.

One of the main questions would be if there was a different (less expensive) install kit for those of us that want to use this on non-Holden cars. For example a first gen Camaro? I notice that a large part of that kit is the shroud for a Holden that obviously we would not need.

I also wanted to talk with you about doing a story on how the intake works and such. I will email you to discuss the rest. You guys make some killer products, just wish you were a "bit" closer.

Best Regards,
Steve

68LS1
08-15-2005, 06:44 AM
Hi Steve

Good to to see you're in contact with Ken, I was surprised at delays as they are good guys to deal with.

While you're talking to him you might want to ask him about this

http://www.fast-autos.net/holden/holdenhrt427.html

the Monaro/GTO supercar that should have been, Harrop did a great deal of the work on this.

Now about that "a bit closer" thing, welcome to the world of an overseas Camaro (and other musclecars) addict :D . Got to admit though everyone I've dealt with "over there" has been terrific and very helpful.

cheers

Roger

Payton King
08-15-2005, 08:15 AM
We are getting close on the price now. I think that I can send the Fast intake and throttle body back for a refund. Now I need to find someone that needs a nitrous set up for a LS1.

XcYZ
08-15-2005, 08:20 AM
You are the man, Payton. :hail:

Selling an NOS for an LS1 should be pretty easy.

Payton King
08-15-2005, 08:39 AM
Scott,

don't start stroking my ego to get me to make the jump. It is a totally bad ass set up...not as cool as two turbos. I am not man enough for that kind of power.

Steve1968LS2
08-15-2005, 10:48 AM
Hi Steve

Good to to see you're in contact with Ken, I was surprised at delays as they are good guys to deal with.

While you're talking to him you might want to ask him about this

http://www.fast-autos.net/holden/holdenhrt427.html

the Monaro/GTO supercar that should have been, Harrop did a great deal of the work on this.

Now about that "a bit closer" thing, welcome to the world of an overseas Camaro (and other musclecars) addict :D . Got to admit though everyone I've dealt with "over there" has been terrific and very helpful.

cheers

Roger

Yea, excited to find out more.. to be clear it was not like they didn't respond, it just took 2-5 days.. i am sure the time/day difference didn't help.

I would love to run this set-up on the 68.. it is just so bad ass looking.. I would like to see some dynographs though..

68LS1
08-15-2005, 03:41 PM
Steve, I did make a very generous offer to Ken that he could use mine as a test bed for a 1st Gen kit :D
Seeing as I'm local and all :thumbsup:

Steve1968LS2
08-15-2005, 03:53 PM
Steve, I did make a very generous offer to Ken that he could use mine as a test bed for a 1st Gen kit :D
Seeing as I'm local and all :thumbsup:

Damn you!!! lol I think it would make for a cool story.. I hadn't even heard of the intake before and I work at a car magazine..

I hope we can work out something with Ken, I think these intakes would sell well here in the states if people knew two things..

1. that they exist

2. that they work

Rick@Rick's Hot Rod Shop
08-15-2005, 05:29 PM
Steve,
See if you can get a deal on two... Ill be willing to trade for the tank straight up :D

Steve1968LS2
08-15-2005, 05:36 PM
Steve,
See if you can get a deal on two... Ill be willing to trade for the tank straight up :D

What a guy!! you are such a giver :thumbsup:

:lolhit:

68LS1
08-16-2005, 03:23 AM
You guys are just so generous, prepared to give till it hurts. :D

Steve, from what I've heard those that have them installed love the throttle response and they seem to make some power too!!!

http://www.ls1.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=33426&highlight=Harrop+Hurricane

I hope they sell hundreds and get the price down a little :yes:

Mecom Racer
09-08-2005, 01:57 PM
HOLY SCHMOLY...

Steve! Wouldn't this intake look just SICK on my Grand Sport? It really has the look of the old style cross-ram Webers that were on the original GS...

See if they'd like to donate one if they'd like some serious press to boost sales here in the States, maybe you can convince them to "test" one on my car... and put it in PHR...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/MecomRacer/GS/EyeCandy3.jpg

Payton King
09-09-2005, 08:04 AM
The price quote I recieved was $2625 for the intake without the airboxes, $470 for shipping and VISA will charge a 2% transaction fee for converting US to Aussie dollars. The above prices are US.

Since there product is so unique I am not sure if they will be giving any away for a shot in a national rag, but I could be mistaken.

68LS1
09-10-2005, 06:17 AM
Yodester, what are you shipping & with who?

I ask because I now bring my stuff in myself because the freight quotes I've gotten from U.S suppliers are frightening :eek:

There shouldn't be any taxes to export from here, but we sure do pay to bring stuff in.

Roger

Canadian_Hot_Rodder
09-11-2005, 01:51 AM
Very cool.

Payton King
09-12-2005, 08:36 AM
I think from the size more than the weight and i think it may have to go through customs.

ironworks
10-11-2005, 04:12 PM
Here is the Kinsler.

You can see it installed on the home page in the 57 chevy truck

Rodger

Diognes56
10-11-2005, 05:15 PM
:eek: :hail: Both intakes are awsome :cool: . We need a :drool: smilie lol .

David