PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever change there own backspacing

LS1NOVA
06-18-2007, 08:06 PM
This is a steel rally wheel. I am considering cutting those welds and adjusting the backspacing. I could realign it on our Hunter tire balancer and then weld it all the way around with a nice Mig bead. Its not rocket science, anyone ever do it? This would make some 325/50r15s MT radials fit on my Nova for the strip.

GBodyGMachine
06-18-2007, 08:43 PM
You have to figure in the cost. You time is worth money. Is it more expensive to spend 6 hours redoing them or buying a new set? And I always just run spacers if I need to change the BS.

Jeff

LS1NOVA
06-18-2007, 09:00 PM
Well Im on a tight budget and a new set would be custom built. I need more backspacing, so no spacers.

Travis Rankin
06-18-2007, 09:15 PM
the center piece is pressed in Very tight!

I can be done, but it will be a huge PITA

kmcanally
07-04-2007, 11:20 AM
I would contact these guys for all of your wheel modification needs www.weldcraftwheels.com

XcYZ
07-05-2007, 07:53 AM
Getting it square so there's no run-out would be the big concern, but since you have access to a Hunter machine, you can check it. As Travis said, the center is extremely tight, you'll need a good press to get it to move once you grind all the welds out.

deuce_454
07-05-2007, 09:43 AM
a friend of mine who is neither a brain suegeon or rocket scientist by any stretch of imagination (you know the type) actually did just that and it worked fine, guess noone told him that he couldnt do it and so he did... he cut the welds and cleaned up teh inside of teh rim, then mounted the slicks (which is what he couldnt fit) and tapped the rim back and forwards till the BS was right on, then he mounted the rim on the ballancing machine (with a tack weld in one side of the center to the rom ring to minimize movement) in th eballang´cing mashine, runout could be checked with a super high tech white board marker, and where ever there was a mark the rim required a light tap, and after 10 minutes of tapping it was remarkably straight... the rims are now fully welded and you cannot feel any vibration or detect funny wear, so my acvice is to just do it...