PDA

View Full Version : Att. Budnik pictures of Fontana Dish Fat Lip?

427cubesXp
06-15-2007, 09:35 PM
This is a two part question, I am trying to decide on a Budnik wheel for my 65 XP Falcon(Australian) and the choice is between (All Fat Lip) the Fontana, Fontana Dished, Gasser and the M5. I have collected some good pictures of Gassers, Standard Fontana and the M5 wheels but can't seem to find any of the Fonatan Dish except for the 'Year One' 66 Mustang coupe, any body have any picteres of these they would like to share, 17 "and up, 18" 19" and 20" preferably.

Second part can or does Budnik make the Fontana dish with a Fat lip rim and can the M5 be made with a dished center on a Fat lip rim, the local dealer thinks they can with a reasonably priced additional charge as long as I don't go over 9.5" for an 18" rim.

Bowtieracing
06-16-2007, 12:54 AM
You may want to think again if you are looking a wheel wich can be driven hard and fast. Fontana fatlips are more show than go. I am speaking of experience.

427cubesXp
06-16-2007, 05:09 AM
I hear yah, these would be more for show and street driving Ia m looking at getting some M5 made with a dish so I want to get an idea how they might look with the Fontana been the closest, the car currently has old school(sort of) 3 piece Centerline billets 17x7 and 17x9.5, I am looking at upgrading to a 18x7-8 and 18-19x10. So is it the fat lip rim profile as opposed to the standard lip that is the problem?

Budnik Wheels
06-18-2007, 01:11 PM
i will answer in 2 posts as i will look for a picture of a Fontana Dish or photo one myself right now.

"Dish" refers to a concaved style spoke that tapers in to the center of the design. The edge that touches the rim outer is 3 times as thick as a standard forging, resulting in less "wheel lip".

Dished Forgings are available for 15",17", and 18" Traditional rim outers, and 17" Fat-lip rim outers. Backspacing is limited because of how much space the forging takes up on the drop center area.

427cubesXp
06-19-2007, 04:36 AM
Thanks that's exactly what I needed to know and meant by dished center :thumbsup: , except the fact that 17' is as far as you'll go on a dished/concaved center with a fat lip rim, no chance of making them in 18s or 19. Is the limiting factor that with the larger diameter sizes that the taper of the spokes continues too much where it meets the rim exaggerating the backspace limitations ? Hope that ,makes sense;) .

A Fontana dish on a 17 Fat lip would be nice and a standard rim 18 if possible.

Just to clarify something are Fat lip wheel centers a full inch larger in diameter than a standard wheel center of the same size outer diameter ?

Budnik Wheels
06-19-2007, 12:39 PM
the problem is that we only have forgings for "dished" wheels in 3 sizes. We would need to do 2 things for larger diameter, 1) use plate aluminum (expensive) or 2) create new dies to create new forgings (expensive).

We are currently looking into adding more dished sizes in the future. No time frame at this time for when we would implement

The taper in the spoke in larger diameters is proportional due to the centers (design) being thicker in larger diameters.

Fat-lip rim outers use centers that are 1" larger than Traditional outers. a 17" Fat-lip uses the same center that would be used in an 18" Traditional outer.

427cubesXp
06-20-2007, 03:42 AM
Thanks again, you couldn't explain it any better, straight from the horses mouth, now I can sit tight and wait for some pictures.

Last question for now is doing an M5 center in a dished format possible with an additional nominal fee that won't break the bank?

Budnik Wheels
06-21-2007, 11:51 AM
apparently i don't know how to image host... i'll figure it out. i have the picture... PM me your email and i'll send over a high res. image