PDA

View Full Version : $50.00 Paint Job

novanutcase
06-08-2007, 12:06 AM
I think I'm going to finally try the "$50.00 Paint Job" on my T-Bird and see how it comes out. One question, the car was painted with a basecoat/clearcoat and the clearcoat is flaking off. Someone told me that the paint has "oxidized" and I need to take it down to meatl before I paint it. Is this true or can I just sand off the clear and paint over the basecoat?

John

Jr
06-08-2007, 10:48 AM
What is used in a "$50 paint job"?

patgizz
06-08-2007, 03:37 PM
you don't need to go to metal. you need to remove the bad/oxidized clear.

and as far as the "thin the living hell out of the rustoleum and waste 8 days rolling it on/wetsanding between coats" paintjobs, damn people big lots or harbor freight have $30 spray guns and it cuts the time involved in actually putting on the paint from a week to half a day. you'd spend more money on sandpaper to wetsand all the rolled on coats than to buy a cheap HVLP gun and some 1x2's and plastic to build a temporary paint booth.

novanutcase
06-10-2007, 09:45 PM
Thanks Pat but I want to experiment with this and see if it actually works without a spray gun!
End of the day and I have to say that I have a new found respect for Paint & Body! I thought I would start on the hood and see how it turns out. I guess I'm going to have to spring for a buffer! I bought enough supplies to paint the whole car but a quart of the paint is probably more than enough to paint one car! Total cost for materials and equipment:

Ryobi Orbital Sander - $77.23
Sandpaper for Orbital Sander - $6.79
Rustoleum Professional Black/1 Gal. - $36.18
4" Hot Dog Rollers(5 pack) and Applicator/ w Hot Dog Roller on it- $8.59
Mini paint pans(3) - $3.73
Wet Dry Sandpaper Packs 320/400/600 - $9.89
Tack Cloth(2 packs) - $1.98

Total(So far)- $144.39

Got all the clearcoat off and smoothed and feathered any raised or low areas as best I could!
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g170/novanutcase/SandFront.jpg

Masked, Taped and Tacked! Ready for paint! I didn't prime it since the original thread said primer was not necessary!
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g170/novanutcase/TackedPassenger.jpg

1st Coat
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g170/novanutcase/1stCoatDriver.jpg

Many people have commented on what they felt was the ideal Paint to Mineral Spirits ratio. As I was mixing it seems that a 70% Paint/30% Mineral Spirits is a good mix. I guess we'll see but I'm glad I went a little heavier on the paint since the hood of my car has many contours and if I would have mixed it any thinner it would have run all over the place. I guess the best way to describe the mix I did was to make it a little thicker than milk. I was also worried about whatever excess paint I had would dry up along with having to constantly be cleaning the roller so I just used ziploc bags to keep them moist!

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g170/novanutcase/PaintPreserve.jpg

Next up.......color sanding.......Oh Goodie!!!:rolleyes:
John

Sales@Dutchboys
06-10-2007, 10:01 PM
Wow....lol interesting:yes:

Did you get some wheels on that thing yet?!?

Paul

novanutcase
06-10-2007, 11:31 PM
Waiting to get the Disc Brake conversion on and then:

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g170/novanutcase/CoyC51.jpg

John

68protouring454
06-11-2007, 05:49 AM
i do not think you are gonna want to color sand that, i doubt it will work like the article said.

novanutcase
06-11-2007, 10:23 AM
i do not think you are gonna want to color sand that, i doubt it will work like the article said.

Why do you say that?

John

68protouring454
06-11-2007, 10:55 AM
for one there is no hardner in the paint, 2- all the different levels from feathering out will more then likely burn thru, then you will be re doing it. if your gonna roll it out, roll it out and call it a day. its just gonna make more work for yourself
goodluck

novanutcase
06-11-2007, 11:09 AM
So you think it's better to roll out all the coats then sand? Don't sand in between?

BTW I checked it this morning and it's pretty hard. I tried the fingernail test and the paint won't scratch off!

John

MattM
06-14-2007, 03:40 PM
I’d love to see the final result. I’ve read a lot of ‘50$ paint job’ posts, but haven’t seen a black one yet. Let us know how it turns out. It’s one thing to roll on a light color—black isn’t very forgiving.

SteveMcqueenRules
06-14-2007, 11:42 PM
pick up the current Hot Rod magazine there is a article on a 98 dollar paint job basically you use rustoleum and thin it something like 50% and sand in between about 6 coats. this isnt something new lots of people have done it and turns out nice no show winning but looks good.

race-rodz
06-15-2007, 01:54 PM
john deer blitz black, $23/gallon, when buffed it looks like a 20 year old "barn" find. im doing this on a 55 chevy 2dr post gasser project i picked up.

MattM
06-26-2007, 05:10 PM
Any progress? I keep checking for more pics.

kadettcqp
07-22-2007, 09:04 AM
Nice that you will be doing this to try it. I have read a few threads about this and it seems like people get quite nice results. Please give us an update.

And if any of you have some links to threads where people try this, i would like to have them as well.

novanutcase
07-22-2007, 10:46 AM
Hi Sorry I haven't posted in a while but I tore apart the whole front end thinking that I would be able to have it together in a weekend but, nope, I opened a can of worms and I'm waiting for some parts to come in! Once I finish this I will resume the "$50.00 Paint Job" but I can tell in the little that I've done that this will work! People tend to focus on the fact that you're applying the paint with a roller but, in reality, what I've learned is you can pretty much apply it with whatever you want. The secret is in prepping it correctly meaning make sure the surface is as smooth as you can get it prior to starting and wetsanding in between coats to, again, get it as smooth as you can before putting on another coat. If you don't then you will get orange peel and this will ruin the final results when you buff it out. That's the key no orange peel and final buff!

John

kadettcqp
07-22-2007, 12:34 PM
Nice with an little update. Look forward to see some more photos. Do you plan on giving it some clear coat? I think i remember a thread i read where the writer did not apply clear coat, but said that if he had then the paint job would have been "almost" show finish.

novanutcase
07-23-2007, 02:02 AM
Nice with an little update. Look forward to see some more photos. Do you plan on giving it some clear coat? I think i remember a thread i read where the writer did not apply clear coat, but said that if he had then the paint job would have been "almost" show finish.

I really don't think it will need a clearcoat but then again I may experiment and it just may look that much better!!

John

Musclerodz
07-23-2007, 10:33 AM
Here is my $50 paint job and what a $50 paint job belongs on IMO. 4 cheap roller kits and a bag of gloves $10, 2 quarts of alkyld primer already purchased $0.00, 2 quarts of saftey yellow alreadypurchased $0.00, 2 quart of safety red 1 already purchased $10, kids to paint it $30.