PDA

View Full Version : T-56: GM versus Ford

mdlackey
05-24-2007, 11:46 PM
Can anyone tell me what the difference is between a "Ford" T-56 and a "GM" T-56? Input shaft? Bellhousing? Expect bellhousings to be differnt, but are the mounting bolts for the BH into the tranny all the same (standard)?

Have a bead on a Ford T-56, but want to use on my Pontiac engine, and want to know what I might be getting myself in to.

Thanks,
Dave

Mkelcy
05-25-2007, 08:46 AM
Can anyone tell me what the difference is between a "Ford" T-56 and a "GM" T-56? Input shaft? Bellhousing? Expect bellhousings to be differnt, but are the mounting bolts for the BH into the tranny all the same (standard)?

Have a bead on a Ford T-56, but want to use on my Pontiac engine, and want to know what I might be getting myself in to.

Thanks,
Dave

I have no "hands on" experience of the Ford T56, but the LT1, LS1, Viper and AfterMarket T56's all have the same BH to tranny bolt pattern, so I would expect the Ford T56 to follow suit. I'd guess input shaft length, and even then you can swap input shafts among, e.g., Viper and LS1 T56's.

98ssnova
05-25-2007, 09:40 AM
I thought that ford used tremec t-5 I could be wrong does anybody know for sure?:lateral:

Stang's Bane
05-25-2007, 11:22 AM
I thought that ford used tremec t-5 I could be wrong does anybody know for sure?:lateral:
they did on MustangGT's, but they used the t-56 in the 03-04 cobras.

mdlackey
05-25-2007, 12:17 PM
That is where this T-56 came from ... an '03 Cobra. Guy was trading it out for a C4, so he could take it to the strip.

So, I went ahead and bought it ($1600). There looks to be a spacer plate at the very front where the clutch arm mounts (pull-type). Believe that if that is removed, one of the "kits" out there will allow me to mount a bellhousing with a BOP bolt pattern, plus I'll need a different input shaft, most likely.

Interesting point: Was not expecting to see 10-spline ... and guessing ... 1 1/8" input shaft. Knew that Viper T-56's had 26-spline, but thought Fords might be different.

Anyone know the difference in input shaft lengths between Fords and GM's?

Thanks for everyone's replies ... looking forward to more.

Dave

ten1nchrubbers
05-25-2007, 09:25 PM

Stang's Bane
05-30-2007, 01:14 PM
That is where this T-56 came from ... an '03 Cobra. Guy was trading it out for a C4, so he could take it to the strip.

So, I went ahead and bought it ($1600). There looks to be a spacer plate at the very front where the clutch arm mounts (pull-type). Believe that if that is removed, one of the "kits" out there will allow me to mount a bellhousing with a BOP bolt pattern, plus I'll need a different input shaft, most likely.

Interesting point: Was not expecting to see 10-spline ... and guessing ... 1 1/8" input shaft. Knew that Viper T-56's had 26-spline, but thought Fords might be different.

Anyone know the difference in input shaft lengths between Fords and GM's?

Thanks for everyone's replies ... looking forward to more.

Dave

The cobra t-56 does have the 31 spline viper output shaft though. You made a very good deal my friend!!

mdlackey
05-30-2007, 02:34 PM
The cobra t-56 does have the 31 spline viper output shaft though. You made a very good deal my friend!!

Talked to Fred at McLeod's and he stated that I just needed ...

1. LS-1 input shaft ( 1-1/8" 26 spline)
2. McLeod part number 8-207; adapter so my Muncie bellhousing will bolt to the T-56 (allows me to use my heim joint z-linkage, too)
3. 11" 1-1/8" 26 spline clutch plate

There will be other issues (x-member, electrical, etc), but just getting it bolted up is a major accomplishment ... IMHO. :D

Thanks,
Dave