PDA

View Full Version : LS heater hose options?

XcYZ
05-24-2007, 06:37 PM
I've been looking at the male fittings on my water pump for the heater core and I'd like to run AN if possible. I'm interested in what options I may have and/or what others have done with theirs.

camcojb
05-24-2007, 07:15 PM
I've been looking at the male fittings on my water pump for the heater core and I'd like to run AN if possible. I'm interested in what options I may have and/or what others have done with theirs.

mine isn't here right now, but they can be pulled out and can likely be tapped to 1/2" npt, 3/4" npt, or 1" npt threads to adapt the #12 AN lines.

Jody

XcYZ
05-24-2007, 09:10 PM
Cool, I didn't realize that. How do you get them out without abusing the water pump, use a little heat?

camcojb
05-24-2007, 09:39 PM
Cool, I didn't realize that. How do you get them out without abusing the water pump, use a little heat?

I've always been able to grab them with vise grips/pliers and wiggle them back and forth without crushing them to remove. Wouldn't hurt to heat the pump casting right around the nipples to loosen them more. Shouldn't be tough to remove them.

Jody

XcYZ
05-24-2007, 09:40 PM
I know what I'll be doing tomorrow - borrowing a couple of big NPT taps from work. :thumbsup:

camcojb
05-24-2007, 10:13 PM
I know what I'll be doing tomorrow - borrowing a couple of big NPT taps from work. :thumbsup:

you can do the legwork for me on this one. Let me know what size they are please! :unibrow:

Jody

Teetoe_Jones
05-25-2007, 12:21 PM
We offer our water pumps on the Sidewinder with this already done. I'll get you the sizes you'll need, let me make a call....

Tyler

Bowtieracing
05-25-2007, 01:53 PM
I chieseled mine out when pump was mounted on bench. Then the holes were welded shut and new ones were drilled and tapped to gain clearance on vette chassis.

http://www.bowtie-racing.com/cars/63corvette/images/63z06engine.jpg

Payton King
05-25-2007, 03:35 PM
You need to do the opposite. Put the pump in the freezer and the aluminum will shrink and they should pull out pretty easy.

camcojb
05-25-2007, 03:39 PM
You need to do the opposite. Put the pump in the freezer and the aluminum will shrink and they should pull out pretty easy.

if the aluminum shrinks it will hold onto the steel nipples even more; since the steel presses into the aluminum you want the aluminum to expand, thus heating it should help. I will say I've always pulled them out without heating though.

Jody

Steve1968LS2
05-25-2007, 03:44 PM
Buy a Meziere street LSx electric water pump and it comes with these holes already tapped. You can plug them off (plugs included), use the standard barbed hose adapters (included) or install parts for AN fittings.

Easy :)

camcojb
05-25-2007, 04:40 PM
Buy a Meziere street LSx electric water pump and it comes with these holes already tapped. You can plug them off (plugs included), use the standard barbed hose adapters (included) or install parts for AN fittings.

Easy :)

As much as I like the Mezziere 55 gpm pumps, I always opt for mechanical unless there's no option. One less thing to fail.

Scott has the Synister front drive, not sure the Mezziere will line up correctly; for sure his wp pulley wouldn't be able to be used.

Jody

Steve1968LS2
05-25-2007, 11:19 PM
As much as I like the Mezziere 55 gpm pumps, I always opt for mechanical unless there's no option. One less thing to fail.

Scott has the Synister front drive, not sure the Mezziere will line up correctly; for sure his wp pulley wouldn't be able to be used.

Jody

Third car I've ran thier pump on.. no probs yet.

where's some wood to knock on?? lol

JimM
05-27-2007, 09:48 AM
For those looking for a "less expensive" option, Sceptre makes compression fittings that will work on the tube ends. They look just like AN and work well.
Pic shows sceptre fittings on heater hoses and pvc along with real AN on fuel line.

Teetoe_Jones
06-15-2007, 03:14 PM
For reference the AN size on the water pump is -8AN.

Tyler

Travis Rankin
06-15-2007, 11:43 PM
On our '66 nova we pulled out the tubes and used -8 endura AN 90* to 1/2 NPT fitting.. just tap and go ;) I also cut the water neck spout off, and welded it back on to be straight out towards the rad:thumbsup:

rich-allen
06-25-2007, 03:18 PM
Did you get your pump tapped?

Curious how it looks and if you hit any snags.

Rich

XcYZ
06-25-2007, 10:10 PM
Rich, I haven't messed with it yet. I'll be working on that when the motor is back out of the car and the body is away getting painted. I did, however, pick up the proper sized drill bit this weekend for 1/2" NPT. It's an odd ball size, something like 45/64 if I remember correctly. It's like .700".