PDA

View Full Version : Wanting to install 2nd gen mirrors on 69 camaro

Jay Hilliard
12-02-2004, 02:05 PM
Is alot trimming needed on the mirror's base to fit properly on a 69 door or is it pretty much install and go? Any info from you guys that have done this, please chime in.

I also posted this topic on pro-touring.

Thanks.

Ummgawa
12-02-2004, 06:42 PM
I think C5 Corvettes are easier (Relatively speaking of course).

rwhite692
12-07-2004, 04:43 PM
Hi Jay-

I did this on my car and, so far, I do like the look. I picked up a set of second-gen mirrors at a swap meet for $10 just to try it. (Photos at the link below, under "general camaro photos"). I also like the fact that the mirrors are "tucked in", close to the body.

The base angle of the second-gen mirror tends to make the mirror lean a bit out from the body, so I will probably "tweak" this angle by working the base angle over on my standup belt sander. (The adjustment should be pretty slight...I think some people might even think it's just fine, as-is). (The mirrors as shown in the photos are mounted with the mirrors as-is)

One thing I found out is, don't try to judge the look if the mirrors that you are trying out are a different color than the body...The ones I picked up were bright red (it looked like the car had sprouted a pair of red ears!) and so it was impossible to evaluate them on the gold car (Car is not ready for paint, yet). I took them off, picked up a can of el-cheapo gold touchup paint, and put a light coat on the mirrors, so that I could make a much better determination. -Rob

Jay Hilliard
12-10-2004, 07:37 AM
Nice car Rob. Coming along nicely :D . My car was originally olympic gold also. You don't see too many of those around.

I need to find a set. Every mirror on ebay is scratched pretty bad. If any of you guys have a set for sale that are in good condition, please let me know.

thanks again!