PDA

View Full Version : Centerforce Dual Friction or newer DFX?

Flash68
05-08-2007, 04:48 AM
I have done a search on this site and a couple others and really couldn't find an answer, and I can't really figure out the big difference from the language on Centerforce's website either.

Any insight? thoughts? recommendations of these 2 models?

I will be running between 600-700 rwhp, depending on pulley size I use, but will use street tires and a TKO 600 for street driving only... no 4000 rpm launches with slicks for me... at least not for now.

thanks

surreyboy
05-08-2007, 04:45 PM
i had a dfx in my 03 whippled cobra (624rwhp) and it didnt slip, the pedal felt good but the only problem was the dfx is more an on/off type clutch, not much in between.But once you get used to this its not as bad.I have a normal d/f in my other mustang, i havnt gotten into it enough to know how good it is

Flash68
05-08-2007, 04:55 PM
Thanks for the feedback. Do you drive your Stangs only on the street? Or use slicks at the track sometimes?

Here is the email reply I just got from the Centerforce rep...

Hello Dave,
The DFX ( DUAL FRICTION EXTREME )in the 11" application will handle up to 850ft.lbs. of Torque to the Crank, more of a racing clutch with 6 puc sprung hub w/ metallic button material, hooks up faster than the DUAL FRICTION and not as street able. The 12" application with part number DF612909 will handle 700 ft.lbs. of Torque to the Crank and a very street able clutch. The DUAL FRICTION will handle up to 625 ft.lbs. of Torque to the Crank.

surreyboy
05-09-2007, 12:59 AM
the cobra i only had for 1000 miles or so, only took down the track 3-4 times, i never had problems with it, just had to get used to how quick it grabbed.i know a few people who have had them for over 3000miles without issues, only one car ran regularily on et streets , and the clutch had no issues.

Rick Dorion
05-09-2007, 07:04 AM
You may also want to look into the McLeod 12" setup. Easy pedal and good holding power.

deuce_454
05-14-2007, 06:49 AM
my vote is on the street twin, soft and smooth pedal, nice engagement and big holding power... worlds better than a centerforce dual friction in my experience..

and if our money tree is bigger than mine then its a tilton carbon/carbon.. hands down best clutch out there.. but its 3500 bucks!

Blown353
05-14-2007, 02:26 PM
I have almost 10K miles on my McLeod "dual performance" clutch-- it's like a centerforce but without those pesky little weights that can fly off. I'm also in the area of 700rwhp.

Easy to slip & modulate in traffic, minimal wear last time I had it out, and I have had no slippage issues. Like you, I've never ran slicks and don't do clutchdumps. Very happy with it and the cost was quite reasonable.

Pedal effort is light too.

Flash68
05-14-2007, 05:44 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys. I have narrowed it down to the McLeod Dual Performance or Centerforce DF. I just think the Street Twin is overkill for my street use intentions.

buickfunnycar.com
05-14-2007, 06:08 PM
Have the CF DF clutch in both my Z/28's without any problems.My 69 was dynoed @ 554 flywheel HP and 431 chassis dyno HP and both as smooth as silk.:thumbsup:

PhilM
05-31-2007, 11:03 PM
I am not sure about the DFX as I never used one. I have ran a CF dual friction and abused it to death. 5k plus launches on slicks etc. Never missed a beat. I dont know what the RWHP was for the motor, but with no changes to the motor (377 with a pile of nitrous), Installed it in my nova with a rossler t-400 and went high 8's. I do know that the proper set up of the bellhousing is key. I ran a multi disk east west clutch. What a PITA. Is that the kind of clutch you are asking about?

mazspeed
06-01-2007, 01:09 AM
I have Mcleod everything and it feels kind of harsh, but also feels good. I have heard horror stories on centerforce with anything over 600hp.

Flash68
06-01-2007, 02:22 AM
I have Mcleod everything and it feels kind of harsh, but also feels good. I have heard horror stories on centerforce with anything over 600hp.

Can you provide any specifics to these horror stories? Were these street driven cars without street radials having probs? Or hard launches on slicks at the track?

mazspeed
06-03-2007, 03:20 PM
Can you provide any specifics to these horror stories? Were these street driven cars without street radials having probs? Or hard launches on slicks at the track?

My buddy Mike (another Mike) had a centerforce and had about 700hp on wide street tires and fried the cluch. He had it taken apart and found that the clutch disintegrated on him. Another buddy has a 69 camaro and he had the same thing happen. Took off fast and the clutch went. Just other stories of the clutch falling apart. Although I had several on many RX-7's and all worked fine.

Flash68
06-03-2007, 03:49 PM
My buddy Mike (another Mike) had a centerforce and had about 700hp on wide street tires and fried the cluch. He had it taken apart and found that the clutch disintegrated on him. Another buddy has a 69 camaro and he had the same thing happen. Took off fast and the clutch went. Just other stories of the clutch falling apart. Although I had several on many RX-7's and all worked fine.

Thanks Maz. I think we are gonna start out trying the DF and see what happens. I will only be running a 275 rear street tire so there will be no traction whatsoever. My builder has never had issues with the DF with fairly powerful applications so we will just see what happens...

I saw your car at the show yesterday... damn, looks great in person! That motor is super clean and is nicely done. :thumbsup:

Dave

mazspeed
06-03-2007, 04:20 PM
Thanks Maz. I think we are gonna start out trying the DF and see what happens. I will only be running a 275 rear street tire so there will be no traction whatsoever. My builder has never had issues with the DF with fairly powerful applications so we will just see what happens...

I saw your car at the show yesterday... damn, looks great in person! That motor is super clean and is nicely done. :thumbsup:

Dave

Thanks for the nice comments Dave. :thumbsup: The good thing about the DF is light pedal pressure.

staged67gspwr
06-04-2007, 07:24 AM
I`ve alwyas ran Centerforce DF clutch behind all my stick cars and my friends as well,in all the years non of us ever had a problem with them,and on my new project i will run it again.

Thanks

slownova
06-12-2007, 06:03 PM
my LS1 in my 98 trans am made 438/408 on the motor and 618/648 on a 150 shot at the wheels an i have had a centerforce dual friction with zero problems for a lil over a year now.