PDA

View Full Version : POR 15 or Eastwood Chassis Black

87wildside
05-06-2007, 03:07 PM
I was wondering if anyone has used Chassis Black and how durable is it? I am on a tight budget and the C/B is less expensive then POR 15 however if it's not as durable I would rather only put out the money and effort once.

I would like to say this is a great site and it's great to see so many of the cars, trucks and thier builders all in one place. Feel as though I'm in the company of gods :hail: !

BThibodeaux
05-08-2007, 04:39 PM
I was wondering if anyone has used Chassis Black and how durable is it? I am on a tight budget and the C/B is less expensive then POR 15 however if it's not as durable I would rather only put out the money and effort once.

I would like to say this is a great site and it's great to see so many of the cars, trucks and thier builders all in one place. Feel as though I'm in the company of gods :hail: !

I have used the Chassis Black plenty. It is very durable once it dries, but it takes about 3 days to completely dry. It runs pretty easy when you spray it from a can, so go with several thin coats. It lays down much better when sprayed from a paint gun. Stay away from the new Extreme chassis black. It is junk. It takes weeks to completely dry, if it ever does dry.

I have not used POR, but from what I have read it is designed more as a rust stopping/preventing agent. It is supposed to do a very good job of this though. If it will be exposed to light, it must be top coated, or it will fade and yellow. Eastwood's closest competing product to POR, is Rust Encapsulator, as opposed to Chassis Black.

If you are looking to paint a frame, I would go with PPG DP 90 black epoxy primer, and top coat it with Eastwood Chassis Black. You will have a very durable finish. However, Chassis Black would probably do fine by itself if your budget does not allow for the epoxy primer.

For that semi-flat look, the epoxy primer is all you need. I used only the primer on the frame for a 1969 Corvette I am restoring, and I love the look of it. It is very durable also.

POR would have to be top coated on a frame, so this is an added expense to consider also.

Good Luck.

RaceMan
05-08-2007, 08:14 PM
I just did my LeMans frame with the por-15, looks great I used the por-15 then top coated with the chassis coat, I did it all with a brush and it looks good !! I'll post some pics when I get on my other computer

87wildside
05-08-2007, 11:16 PM
I am looking to do a gloss black and you say the Extreme Black is junk so maybe I have to go w/ POR 15. I'll wait to see some pics.
BTW, this is what I'm working with, My '87 S10

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w235/87wildside/donor1009.jpg

Thanks, Eric

RaceMan
05-09-2007, 09:46 AM
This is what I got so far , hope it helps the por-15 is gloss so I top coated with the chassis coat

87wildside
05-09-2007, 10:43 AM
Thanks RaceMan, looks good

HotRod68Camaro
05-16-2007, 09:05 PM
RaceMan - did you prep the metal first with marine clean, metal-ready, or both?

RaceMan
05-17-2007, 07:33 PM
RaceMan - did you prep the metal first with marine clean, metal-ready, or both?

No I had it sandblasted then I blew it off good and went right with the por-15 then a second coat with the chassis coat por-15. They say you can put it right on rusted metal so I didn't waist the marine clean or anything else on it!! It came out looking great I think!!