PDA

View Full Version : Quick Change Rear

ka67_72
04-28-2007, 07:49 PM
Besides the noise is there any reason not to run an quick change in a turbo big block Chevelle?

Thanks,
Kevin

chicane
04-29-2007, 04:55 AM
QC rears are not made for a heavy chassis or high horse power...

I would say that the pratical limits for QC rears are at 800hp with heavy chassis weights and big blocks.

ka67_72
04-29-2007, 12:16 PM
I've seen some 1500hp units advertised a while back, but what is the weak link in a common winters/frankland champ rear? Are the cases cracking, or flexing and destroying the ring and pinion, or what? If it's the case and not the hard parts, I could possibly cast or whittle out a billet heavier center section. I'm running 335/30/18's on the street. I could use a different rear (9", dana 60) for slicks at the strip.

Thanks,
Kevin

chicane
04-29-2007, 02:41 PM
Well yeah... 1500hp in a 2000-2500lb chassis.

Most failures are related to blowing the bells off of them. But now that I see that your running an 18" wheel package... I dont think youll have that problem... as you will most likely will not have the traction to hook it hard enough to worry.

But... I would however, still seriously consider using an 8 rib bell, and not using the superlight center... if you do go this route. Unless.... unless, you are going to strip as much as you can in your big block Chevelle. That is a ton of weight...

ka67_72
04-29-2007, 08:39 PM
Thanks for the info. I was thinking about yanking the vintage Frankland from my turbo T bucket project, but I think I'll leave it be. I'm going to try to find a later one from one of the local dirt track guys. That way I won't feel so bad if it blows up.

Thanks,
Kevin

ka67_72
05-02-2007, 08:45 PM
I stopped by the local dirt track builder today. I buy my steel tubing and aluminum sheet there. He's let me cut bend and notch a cage there for another project in the past for free. Anyway he's a good guy. There were three racers there helping him work on thier cars. He said he could get me a nice QC for around $700. After they found out what I was doing, all of them said it was a bad idea. They all had experience with 800 horse small blocks eating them up in a 20 mile dirt race in super modifieds. I guess I'll go with the 9" for now.

Thanks,
Kevin

andrewb70
05-03-2007, 06:54 AM
There is a reason that Nextel Cup cars use 9inch Ford rears. If you want a circle track comparison.

Andrew