PDA

View Full Version : Any alternatives to the DSE wipermotor?

Moabdude
04-22-2007, 02:03 PM
one that lookst about the same but is much cheaper?

jannes_z-28
04-22-2007, 02:16 PM
The motor is basically the standard GM wiper motor of the last 10 years or so.

They come in a few varieties and the one DSE uses is from LS1 Camaros.

I have one of those myself, bought on eBay for $30.00, then you need a connector (if the scrapyard doesn't provide it) and a switch.

The switch is a little tricky, you need a rotary switch with at least 9 positions, they usually comes with 12 positions and it has to have at least two planes.

If you are interested I have a wiring diagram for it made up in a short while. I am doing it just now.

You have to fabricate a bracket for it to adapt to the car. Easily done from 1/8 thick aluminum. I have a template for it too.

You can also use the wiper motor from a S10 pickup.

PM me if you need any of the drawings.

Jan

Bowtieracing
04-23-2007, 02:07 PM
Hello Jan! Good info :thumbsup: There was allso feature in PHR November 2002 how Mark Stielow did it for hes mule camaro. I have it scanned so PM if you need it.

waynieZ
05-20-2007, 03:12 PM
Jan I'll take a copy of those diagrams and templates if you don't mind, do you have any pictures yet? I want to locate mine under the drivers fender.
Thank you for your time Wayne

Maximum Bob
05-21-2007, 11:09 AM
We used a wiper ,otor from an 88 Vovol....made a simple L bracket and munted it on the inside of the cowl for the smooth firewall look.

It works great and it was straight foward * sorta of *...I will try and post some pics.

Repo Man
01-20-2008, 04:30 PM
Hello Jan! Good info :thumbsup: There was allso feature in PHR November 2002 how Mark Stielow did it for hes mule camaro. I have it scanned so PM if you need it.

I hope bumping old threads isn't frowned on. I'd very much like to have a copy of the template, and the scanned article emailed to me.
[email protected]

thank you

JimM
01-21-2008, 08:24 AM
me 2 me 2!!!
I need to stay in the stock location... 2 speeds is fine, nuttin fancy needed, just something that is not an underhood eyesore.

69MyWay
01-21-2008, 09:46 AM
Okay - not the easiest route - but if you are looking for ultra clean and fully functional - check out the VW wiper mod.

You can see details on my www.mcspeed.com site under the 69 Camaro.

Basically, you get a junk yard 85 or so VW wiper motor. You will need a couple of relays a capacitor and some spare wire to make it go.

I ended up putting a 1981 Corvette column in my car - then converted to a 1996 Caprice wiper/cruise switch and ran it all through the column. That gave me space to put a fuel pressure gauge on the dash panel where the old wiper switch would have gone.

Again ... a bit more work - but it is so clean and smooth.

Bowtieracing
01-25-2008, 12:15 AM
Okay - not the easiest route - but if you are looking for ultra clean and fully functional - check out the VW wiper mod.

You can see details on my www.mcspeed.com site under the 69 Camaro.

Basically, you get a junk yard 85 or so VW wiper motor. You will need a couple of relays a capacitor and some spare wire to make it go.

I ended up putting a 1981 Corvette column in my car - then converted to a 1996 Caprice wiper/cruise switch and ran it all through the column. That gave me space to put a fuel pressure gauge on the dash panel where the old wiper switch would have gone.

Again ... a bit more work - but it is so clean and smooth.

You have lots of craative ideas , i really like your way of fab work:cool:

If somebody needed the stielow/wiper artickle, just pm me.

Rhino
01-30-2008, 01:57 PM
If anyone has used a standard GM wiper, what have you used as a switch? I'm using this in a '68 Camaro and would like to keep the switch mounted on the dash if possible. (For '69+ you can simply replace the turn signal stalk with one from the Wiper motor donor vehicle)
I have things mocked up with a stepper switch and a breadboard with a handful of various resistors. I'd like to utilize an OEM switch if possible, before I go down the path of trying to cram a small circuit board onto the back of my stepper switch and also cutting the dash to fit this new switch.

JimM
02-25-2008, 06:54 PM
Had some fun last Saturday, and now I got me a "nicer than stock" looking wiper motor.
http://www.camaros.net/techref/electrical/s10wiper/wiperdone2.jpg

What I was after is something that would fit in the stock location and could be adapted to the original switch and wiring. The motor is a 2 speed no delay from a mid 80's S10. We had to do some internal mods to make the wiring work. It was setup with one side of the motor grounded and power fed from the switch. Since the Camaro puts power on all the time and uses the switch to ground, we had to cut a run inside the motor and bring it to power instead of ground. We also had to modify the park circuit inside the motor a bit. The motor is actusally turning backwards!

The drive pin on the motor was larger than the Camaro's, a lil file action on the Camaro's linkage took care of that.

Ends up like this:
Light blue (high speed) to pin 1
Black (low speed to pin 2 (low speed) and pin 3 (park)
Yellow (power) to pin 4

The motor works good. Low speed is considerably faster than the 1 speep every 3 seconds the stock motor could manage. I picked up a washer pump from autozone, will mount it to the bottle bracket and run it from the stock wire and switch.

10Seconds
03-04-2008, 10:55 PM
Well, I took a different approach. I did not want to see the wiper motor at all, so I cut it out and moved it under the DS fender.

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u184/2slowTA/070206B.jpg

And done:

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u184/2slowTA/IMG_0580.jpg

Also to do this you will have to lengthen the rod that connects to the wiper motor.

Bowtieracing
03-07-2008, 07:05 AM
Has anybody had success with the Stielow arctikle and Jans wiring ?

BRETT ANDERSON
12-29-2008, 07:52 PM
I'm trying to figure this out too. Has anyone completed this conversion. What/where do you get the switch? Can anyone send me the wiring diagram so I can give it a try? Any help would be great.
Thanks

hifi875
12-31-2008, 12:38 PM
just buy the dse part and be done w/it. by time you hunt down everything to do, then re-engineer it to work, you'll have more than $300. (if you value your time) just my 2 cents.

Mick Mc
12-31-2008, 01:39 PM
In true Hot Rodding sense, go to the junk yard, buy the motor (late model Camaro) make a bracket and arm for you application. Now the tricky part, If you are using a late model colunm with the wiper on the stalk, you're almost done. If you need to make a switch for the dash, that's Kyle's secret.
The switch is the hard part.
The wiring diagram for the switch is on the wiper motor diagram. If you find a multiple position switch (seven I think) then get to attatching the correct resistors via the diagram.
I don't want Kyle to hate me, he is super cool, and we had a very helpful conversation late night at Columbus this year...

There is alot to figure out, which is why Kyle charges what he does.
But in the 'I want to do it my self' Hot Rod world, you can figure it out.
And with the internet, you can find help, and the diagrams and ask the right person for help. Don't give up. Hot Rodding is all about trying to make it your self. Spending countless hours on figuring out something is part of the fun, and there is a great deal of pride that goes along with saying "I did it my self".

Everyone is always bitch en about Garage built or shop built
How about 'I made it' vs 'I bought it'.

Jesse James says one of his greatest prides is when someone say 'who made that? or where did you buy that', and he says "I made it". Or as he commonly says 'Hand made'.

Mick
'seek and ye shall receive'

kaptainkw
01-01-2009, 11:11 AM
While I'm not advocating the idea of making a clone of the DSE set-up they will sell you their switch. The part number is 991206 and the price is $65.00.

:thumbsup:

Mick Mc
01-02-2009, 12:16 PM
Kaptain

Great information, I didn't know they would sell just the switch.

Mick

Bowtieracing
01-04-2009, 11:05 AM
I have emailed that PHR artickles to several members here and now you can see them here:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y145/emalikyltti/phr-mule104.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y145/emalikyltti/phr-mule105.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y145/emalikyltti/phr-mule106.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y145/emalikyltti/phr-mule107.jpg

PM me if these photobucket pics are too small and i can email the bigger ones.

Ps member jannes_z-28 has made excellent wiring diagram to make it work:thumbsup:

ItDoRun
01-04-2009, 01:23 PM
just buy the dse part and be done w/it. by time you hunt down everything to do, then re-engineer it to work, you'll have more than $300. (if you value your time) just my 2 cents.

I agree. After reading all the articles on how to DIY, I'll be glad to give DSE my credit card number for this. They do the homework for you.

XLexusTech
01-04-2009, 01:43 PM
I agree. After reading all the articles on how to DIY, I'll be glad to give DSE my credit card number for this. They do the homework for you.

Can you buy me one too? Sounds like money is no obsticle for ya :D

ItDoRun
01-04-2009, 09:59 PM

I wish money was not a factor! It's just that I don't mind paying a little extra for the engineering that goes into some of the products we buy for these cars, this part being one of them. I guess it all boils down to your specific budget.

clill
01-04-2009, 10:08 PM
LOL...You guys all be sure to send Stielow a check for all the DSE wiper motors you buy..:lol:

arue333
10-06-2009, 09:50 PM
If anyone has used a standard GM wiper, what have you used as a switch? I'm using this in a '68 Camaro and would like to keep the switch mounted on the dash if possible. (For '69+ you can simply replace the turn signal stalk with one from the Wiper motor donor vehicle)
I have things mocked up with a stepper switch and a breadboard with a handful of various resistors. I'd like to utilize an OEM switch if possible, before I go down the path of trying to cram a small circuit board onto the back of my stepper switch and also cutting the dash to fit this new switch.

I'm having the same problem, Need to source a switch. Anyone have any ideas? I found the wiper motor out of a 01 Caddy DeVille. :question:

Thanks a ton!

Mrfixit
10-08-2009, 03:35 PM
I'm big on the "do it yourself" bit. It's also called "Cheap". ;) I will buy things that I can't make but the wiper motor is one that I was able to tackle. The wiper motor I used came out of a Pontiac Fiero. No particular reason other than it was readily available when I decided to do the modification. I don't think it will fit into the existing hole but it wasn't necessary since I planned on mounting it behind the fender to clean up the firewall.

The trick to making it work was removing the wiper switch from inside the Fiero steering column and mounting it behind the dash. To do this I made a simple bracket that allowed me to combined the 68 wiper housing (gutted) and the Fiero wiper switch. I then removed the plastic from the Fiero wiper switch stalk and took the remaining metal stem and mounted it to the 68 knob using the factory set screw. You'll need to get a copy of the switch/motor wiring diagram to finish it up.

The 68 housing gave me the ability to mount the switch to the factory dash without any modifications and since I used the 68 bezel and knob, you can't tell it's not the factory switch.

If this doesn't help, I hope it at least inspires...

Steve1968LS2
10-08-2009, 03:58 PM

I think some people look at something in a time versus cost way. If you save $100 on something but it takes you 8 hours of labor, how much did you really save? To some they would rather spend that time on something else.

So it comes down to what your time is worth and how much free time you have.

I doesn't mean "money is no obstical" to someone.. it just means they have priorities that might be different from you.

Steve1968LS2
10-08-2009, 04:00 PM
In true Hot Rodding sense, go to the junk yard, buy the motor (late model Camaro) make a bracket and arm for you application. Now the tricky part, If you are using a late model colunm with the wiper on the stalk, you're almost done. If you need to make a switch for the dash, that's Kyle's secret.
The switch is the hard part.
The wiring diagram for the switch is on the wiper motor diagram. If you find a multiple position switch (seven I think) then get to attatching the correct resistors via the diagram.
I don't want Kyle to hate me, he is super cool, and we had a very helpful conversation late night at Columbus this year...

There is alot to figure out, which is why Kyle charges what he does.
But in the 'I want to do it my self' Hot Rod world, you can figure it out.
And with the internet, you can find help, and the diagrams and ask the right person for help. Don't give up. Hot Rodding is all about trying to make it your self. Spending countless hours on figuring out something is part of the fun, and there is a great deal of pride that goes along with saying "I did it my self".

Everyone is always bitch en about Garage built or shop built
How about 'I made it' vs 'I bought it'.

Jesse James says one of his greatest prides is when someone say 'who made that? or where did you buy that', and he says "I made it". Or as he commonly says 'Hand made'.

Mick
'seek and ye shall receive'

I agree in many cases but I also don't see the need to "reinvent the wheel" so to speek. I could whittle my own wheels or weld up my own valve covers, but I don't have that time.

I need that time to make/work out stuff that nobody sells or offers.

Maybe I just need more time.

Patrick
10-08-2009, 08:37 PM
After driving through the torrential downpours in Atlanta -on the way to Run Thru the Hills... I am very happy with every penny I spent on DSE's wiper motor!

Mrfixit
10-09-2009, 02:22 PM
I think some people look at something in a time versus cost way. If you save $100 on something but it takes you 8 hours of labor, how much did you really save? To some they would rather spend that time on something else.

So it comes down to what your time is worth and how much free time you have.

I doesn't mean "money is no obstical" to someone.. it just means they have priorities that might be different from you.

This is true with everyone to some degree or another. Most decisions on whether to buy or build depends on a combination of what you "like" to do, how much "time" you have, and how much "money" you can spend.

Some can can afford to have a car built "turn key" and others barter and beg for parts just to keep their car running. We all fall somewhere in the middle. Personally, with the economy like it is, I have a little more time than extra money so anything that I can make myself helps me put a few bucks away for the wheels and tires that I can't make.

Besides, making custom stuff yourself is COOL!!! :unibrow: