PDA

View Full Version : What master cyl have used with Z06 brakes?

Bowtieracing
04-22-2007, 01:10 PM
For now here are many guys with 06 Z06 brakes.What master cylinder have you used? Any reason why not to go with C6 corvette cylinder? If Paul you are reading this can you make hydrabooster with 06 vette master ?

chicane
04-22-2007, 04:15 PM
If you use the C6 master... it would be a good idea to change out the rear line to 3/16 to keep the P/V ratio, modulation and balance. Its a cheap move... considering that you can get a replacement line from Inline tube and others for $75 or less.

jsconiers
04-22-2007, 11:44 PM
Look at swapping out the master with a mustang hydraboost unit. I got the idea from carl (http://www.geocities.com/casanoc/). I just finished the swap and it went well. A lot easier than I thought and works great. Very effectve way to get a hydra boost unit.

For now here are many guys with 06 Z06 brakes.What master cylinder have you used? Any reason why not to go with C6 corvette cylinder? If Paul you are reading this can you make hydrabooster with 06 vette master ?

Bowtieracing
04-23-2007, 10:50 AM
If you use the C6 master... it would be a good idea to change out the rear line to 3/16 to keep the P/V ratio, modulation and balance. Its a cheap move... considering that you can get a replacement line from Inline tube and others for $75 or less.

Thanks chicane for your professional input on this. Well i have figured if i have the Z06 brakes the Z06 master should work well with em.

Can you tell me what is the P/V ratio? Do you mean pedal ratio? Is 3/16 bigger or smaller than Z06 lines are ? But what if use adjustable brake balance valve on rear line? Can i then make the front line straight from the master to front calibers with out any metering blocks ?? I was going to use seme size lines as Z06 and yes get the tubes from inline. I have allready bougt the tools to make the end for stainless tube:cool:

Anything else wich i should take into consideration ? Fellow forum member Jeff has helped me a lot with parking brake solution-he is one of the friendliest guy i have ever met:cheers:

Bowtieracing
04-23-2007, 10:54 AM
Look at swapping out the master with a mustang hydraboost unit. I got the idea from carl (http://www.geocities.com/casanoc/). I just finished the swap and it went well. A lot easier than I thought and works great. Very effectve way to get a hydra boost unit.

Hello! Yes i know mustangs have hydraboost as an oem.But i have no idea how mustang mc would work with Z06 calibers and cant take the risk. I have allso contact Paul at hydratech and ask if he can build me complete system.I allso like the looks of hes stuff.

chicane
04-24-2007, 12:38 AM
Thanks chicane for your professional input on this. Well i have figured if i have the Z06 brakes the Z06 master should work well with em.

Can you tell me what is the P/V ratio? Do you mean pedal ratio? Is 3/16 bigger or smaller than Z06 lines are ? But what if use adjustable brake balance valve on rear line? Can i then make the front line straight from the master to front calibers with out any metering blocks ?? I was going to use seme size lines as Z06 and yes get the tubes from inline. I have allready bougt the tools to make the end for stainless tube:cool:

Anything else wich i should take into consideration ? Fellow forum member Jeff has helped me a lot with parking brake solution-he is one of the friendliest guy i have ever met:cheers:

P/V ratio = pressure to volume ratio.

Basically my direction in this was for you to re-create the majority of the system you are using, to minimize any modulation, bias or pedal feel problems. With the factory OE line sizes of the chassis you are building, (example: 3/16 front and 1/4" rear on a first Gen F-body) and the introduction of newer/later model components (that use 3/16 front and 3/16" rear)... I feel that it would be a good move to emulate as much as you can from the donor system so that you dont introduce further problems that would require more troubleshooting and/or monies being spent to correct those problems.

I myself, am utilizing the same APRacing brake kit's that were designed for the C5/6/Z06... on my 67 F-body. So what I went after to emulate this system was to first establish the proper line sizes front and rear to maintain the stock/factory pressure to volume ratios... this was for more than one reason, but we'll stay on this point for sake of this discussion. The C5/6/Z06 uses 3/16" to the front and rear calipers from the ABS pump/motor. Now... if you have the same master, the same line size and the same calipers... you are WAY ahead of the game in getting this right the first time around.

In my own doing, since I was already replacing the front brake hardlines, I thought why not do a linesize change when I order the rear to keep it going in the right direction. In dealing with Inline tube I learned that they would make me anything I wanted for an exceptable cost. So, I ordered a stainless one piece rear line, along with the front pieces. I think it cost me $73 for just the rear line... thats a good deal to me for what I was trying to accomplish.

And IMHO, an adjustable proportioning valve is a bandaid in a brake system... and the less componets you have or use, the better. Yes if you keep the 1/4" rear linesize, it will require a rear prop valve. Second question, yes you can plumb directly to the calipers without going thru a distro/metering block. FYI... the C6/Z06 system did away with the metering block all together.

If I were to use an off the shelf master, I would give Doug Rippie a call and order one of his units. He even supplies a prop valve for the C5 units... it looks like this:
http://www.dougrippie.com/drm/brake_1.jpg

I have worked with Doug and his son on various projects over the past several years and specifically on a manual dual master cylinder C5/6Z06 set-up... so this subject is a little familiar. As is doing an ABS retrofit. I think this would be the direction I would consider if I were doing what you are trying to accomplish. I myself, have gone to dual independant masters with a balance bar... in a manual set-up.

Hope some of this helps or at least makes some kind of sense. :cheers:

Bowtieracing
04-24-2007, 01:41 AM
Chicane you are real pro on your answers:hail: Thank you so much for clearing this for me at once! Yes you read my mind i want to keep as much as possible on factory desing to get the fool proof combination.

That Doug Rippie master cylinder is really nice piece! I will bay it because i like the idea to compensate brakebalance if needed. I allso call to paul at hydra tech if i can just order the Dough rippie master to him and make it fit to hydra booster.

If inline can do me one piece rear line with correct ends for C6 master that it definetly go!

Once again Chicane , thanks!!!:lateral: