PDA

View Full Version : T-56 in 70 Chevelle, I need tips!!

wade70ss
04-19-2007, 04:24 PM
I'm running a 1-piece rear main 350 and TH400 in my 70 Chevelle. I have a LT-1 T56 including flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, and belhousing that I want to put in. I also have the stock Chevelle clutch/brake pedal installed on the car. I know this trans will bolt right up to the motor I have, however what else do I need to make it work? I've heard about flipping the TH400 mount on the trans crossmember, cutting the floorpan to make room, shortening the driveshaft, and TH350 yoke.

But what is necessary to get the clutch master/slave combo in correctly? If you've done the install, tips/photos would be nice. Do I need to change my starter, is balancing the motor a must if I just daily drive it? Any and all suggestions are welcome.

XcYZ
04-19-2007, 04:50 PM
Welcome. I'll throw out a few ideas and I'm sure others will chime in. You won't need to re-balance the motor as the 350 is internally balanced and your flywheel should be nuetral.

Looks like you have a good handle on your install, you'll just need a hydaulic master and slave for the LT1 pull style clutch. You'll also need some sort of firewall bracket for the master cylinder.

wade70ss
04-19-2007, 04:58 PM
True, do you know whether the ATS bracket will work?

XcYZ
04-19-2007, 05:30 PM
Yep, sure will. :thumbsup:

wade70ss
04-19-2007, 05:52 PM
Which bracket? The F-body or the X-body? And is it necessary to get the modified master/slave cylinder or can I run a stock one?