PDA

View Full Version : Painless Fuse Problem...Help!

69LS1SixSpeed
04-01-2007, 10:17 PM
I have a 69 Camaro with a LS1/6 Speed and just got it running. I installed a new Painless wiring harness and have encountered the following blown fuse problem:

When you turn on the parking lights, the "Horn" fuse blows (at first it worked fine but when I started driving around the block and hit a bump the horn fuse blew (20 amp). I replaced and it was ok until I hit the same bump in the road and it blew again. Now it blows the fuse immediately when I turn on the parking lights (not driving the car). This Horn fuse knocks out the dash lights and the taillights which has me very confused! The headlights still work with the fuse blown. The following do components do not work with the key on and a good fuse:

* Front parking lights (no current)
* Horn wire (no current)
* Turn signals don't work

I would appreciate any suggestion at this issue has me stumped! I would assume I have a cut wire somewhere that is touching metal or I have something wired up wrong. I've been double checking by disconnecting components like the turn signal harness at the steering column and the front turn signals but the fuse still blows once you turn on the park lights or headlights......

Tom Welch
04-08-2007, 08:59 PM
Go back to the horn circuit in your schematic. Trace the wiring from the fuse panel to the horn itself. Using a testlight will allow you to determine where the problem is. After sorting the out the horn go to the others in turn, testing after every change/correction. It may take a while, but it can be done, we sorted out a 98 Caravan transmission control unit problem by doing the same thing. Took about 3 hours, saved the customer about 750.00.