PDA

View Full Version : Olds XF-85 by Ben Hermance

XcYZ
03-21-2007, 07:48 AM
Did you guys see Ben's full page rendering in the latest PHR? It's amazing, great work, Ben! :thumbsup:

http://www.lateral-g.net/temp/XF-85olds.jpg

jimhamptons
03-21-2007, 07:53 AM
Wow! Congrats!!

BC69
03-21-2007, 07:57 AM
Thats cool! It reminds me of Charlies old 55 or 57? Is that where the inspiration comes from?

Tim

camcojb
03-21-2007, 08:47 AM
what a cool car!:thumbsup:

Jody

Steve1968LS2
03-21-2007, 09:05 AM
So you guys are liking my new "Dream Car Of The Month" deal?

61Bubbletop
03-21-2007, 09:50 AM
Looks awesome...great vision!...Someone needs to build that!:thumbsup:

Hdesign
03-21-2007, 09:57 AM
Thanks everyone! Steve offered this great opportunity for me and I was thrilled to be a part of it. I hope everyone enjoys this new feature because I had a blast working on it and would love to do it again if another opportunity comes up.:unibrow:

I don't know that I was inspired by any particular military themed car in the past. A lot of the mods I was making throughout the design process just led me in this direction. I think I've been watching way too much of the History Channel to tell you the truth.

I knew there was some risk involved because I stripped the car of a lot of the trim and details that make it a Cutlass. Who needs that stuff in a street/strip brawler though?

Side note: Funny thing is that the real McDonnell XF-85 from WWII is a goofy looking thing if you google it. It's a parasite jet that is stored inside B-36 Bombers for additional cover on long range missions.

Anyway, I hope you all like it and maybe someone will want to adopt it and bring it to reality....I get first drive though!:D

RaceMan
03-21-2007, 10:14 AM
LOOKS GOOD to me !!!!!!!!!:thumbsup:
That would be fun to take for a spin!!

Diognes56
03-21-2007, 10:22 AM
Nice work Ben :) .

Definitely enjoying the new feature Steve :yes: .

David

Steve Chryssos
03-21-2007, 10:29 AM
Yeah, I seen it. Someone needs to step up and build that bad boy. nice work. And Steve, I do like the Dream Car feature.

Ummgawa
03-21-2007, 10:35 AM
Awesome:bow:

CarterHickmanDesigns
03-21-2007, 10:38 AM
I have said it before and I will say it again.....

I WISH I HAD HIS TALENT!

Ben is truely a gifted dude and a nice guy to boot. Ben, that looks awesome as usual.

Carter

JayR
03-21-2007, 11:25 AM
So you guys are liking my new "Dream Car Of The Month" deal?

Definitely!! Sketchpad articles in all the magazines back in the day are what got me into this business and it provides entertainment and inspiration to thousands of others.

Look at those articles with an open mind and you just might find your new project car!

Good job, Ben!

Hdesign
03-21-2007, 11:47 AM
That's a couple really great points Jason.

I started out doing this for the same reason. I was totally fascinated by the artists/designers that have been doing this for decades and measured my work against theirs to see what I needed to work on. It was magazines that provided visibility of this niche within the automotive industry.

Often times, a plan of attack or vision is one of the hardest parts of a build project. Even if you imitate aspects of several different vehicles, it's sometimes difficult for folks to integrate these concepts into one design, even though they may have been pioneered by someone else. What "Sketchpad" features sometimes do is, not necessarily provide a "Copy/Paste" idea for you to build but rather a starting point for you to create an evolution of that concept perhaps. Who knows where it could lead from there.

SteveMcqueenRules
04-16-2007, 04:15 PM
I was stoked to see that in the magazine. I have a 64 F-85 and I love seeing these cars in the magazines instead of the more common chevelles and GTOs.

I love Hdesign's work and love all the renderings and art in the magazines since I have always wanted to draw cars that well.

DocJr
12-06-2008, 09:26 PM
I cut this one out of the mag, and taped it to my wall infront of my drawing table! Then again, Im an Olds fan. Aweome work.

DVierstra
12-10-2008, 11:21 PM
Awesome Ben! Looks like it was a fun project! Has that old fighter jet look to it. True meaning of the Old's Rocket.

Steve1968LS2
01-25-2009, 07:01 PM
I cut this one out of the mag, and taped it to my wall infront of my drawing table! Then again, Im an Olds fan. Aweome work.

That's always what envisioned that page for, too bad PHR killed it when I left.. we have the same deal in Camaro Performers now but we are limited to Camaros.

cmraman
01-25-2009, 09:05 PM
I love this render. I am actually got a line on a 65 cutlass 442 that I want to turn into a corner carver.

Steve1968LS2
01-25-2009, 09:28 PM
I love this render. I am actually got a line on a 65 cutlass 442 that I want to turn into a corner carver.

BUILD IT!!! BUILD IT!!!

;)

Hdesign
01-26-2009, 07:11 AM
I would love to see a variation of this built. Olds and specifically Cutlasses have always been near the top of my list. I love the non-mainstream cars.

I originally wanted to do a streetfighter-gmachine with it but Steve had asked me to do something a little less pro-touring inspired. Other than the Pro-street tires, drag wing and thematic paint scheme, the body has a lot of mods and touches that would apply to a killer street fighter. As long as the Big Block Olds stays in it! LOL

cmraman
01-26-2009, 08:37 PM
I would love to see a variation of this built. Olds and specifically Cutlasses have always been near the top of my list. I love the non-mainstream cars.

I originally wanted to do a streetfighter-gmachine with it but Steve had asked me to do something a little less pro-touring inspired. Other than the Pro-street tires, drag wing and thematic paint scheme, the body has a lot of mods and touches that would apply to a killer street fighter. As long as the Big Block Olds stays in it! LOL

I love the odd ball stuff too. I like the 68-70 chevelle, but I'd probably do a Skylark in those years. Just because it's different. I love the 65 Skylark as well. Plenty of parts available and great lines. I'd love to tear up the autocross in that or the 65 Cutlass.

DocJr
01-28-2009, 12:10 AM
Here here with the Olds engine! Torque Monsters.