PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Fiber Hood from Year One

Van B
03-18-2007, 10:32 PM
I got the hood for my Camaro on Friday. I was a little disappointed to see they (manufacturer Glasstek) had blasted it with a heavy coat of black primer. I guess I was expecting to see the weave under the surface.

It definitely is lighter than the Harwood fiberglass one I took off.

I sanded the primer today, but was not able to finish. This is where I need opinions. It will be a lot of work to sand all the primer off and clearcoat it for the natural CF look. Should I just straighten it out (there are some low spots) and paint it?

race-rodz
03-18-2007, 11:02 PM
i would guess that its primered because the weave is all screwed up, full of flaws.... especially around the cowl scoop.

the only way to know if its presentable will be to get all the primer off.

Van B
03-18-2007, 11:24 PM
Yeah, and I would be really pissed to sand it all off and have it be jacked up and have to paint over it anyway. I wonder if Glasstek would be honest with me if I asked them how they look bare?

Actually in looking at the bottom side, you can see the weave go back and forth. I will look closer at the bottom side tomorrow. The one spot in the primer that I went through, you can see light through it. This leads me to believe that the weave you can see on the bottom side picture is the only layer and should give a good indiaction of what it will look like.

D Rock
03-19-2007, 01:02 AM
that really blows man, i would like it to be raw if I ordered it as well.

James OLC
03-19-2007, 01:02 AM
How is the fit and the weight?

Van B
03-19-2007, 09:53 AM
Weighs 19 lbs and fits good. A little high in one corner but I had to order new hinges because one was sloppy.

MarkM66
03-19-2007, 10:15 AM
I'd probably just paint the top side.