PDA

View Full Version : 1964 Cutlass

SteveMcqueenRules
03-09-2007, 11:34 PM
My first attempt at car with Corel Draw 10
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h229/vonmoldy/CUTLASS.jpg
not very good chrome
and the line between the dark upper part of body and white part is jagged when viewd for some reason.

Kris Horton
03-11-2007, 09:23 PM
That's pretty good though. I never had too much luck with Corel Draw, though my first tasted of 3D modeling ever was in a Corel program. You should definitely look into getting Adobe Illustrator though, it's got a lot more potential for clean results.

Roger Poirier
03-12-2007, 08:10 AM
All you guys are better then me! I can only draw stick people.

R.P.

city_ofthe_south
03-12-2007, 08:19 AM
of course i'm gonna agree with Kris because I use Illustrator but you're off to a great start IMO. lemme give you a link to a pic of the outlines for one of my cars. it gets crazy, and i'm not saying more shapes is better necessarily , but very few shapes can produce unwanted effects. anyway, it's looking good so far, keep pounding on it cause you're on the right track

SteveMcqueenRules
03-12-2007, 12:59 PM
thanks for the replies it is actually done in Corel Photo Paint 10. I only use it because its what I have I would much like something better and newer.
I would love to see the process you guys go about.
I scanned a hand drawn tracing of an photo then cleaned it up in photo paint and sharpened the lines and made a bunch of masks for each part of the car to change the filling of the windows and bumpers and body and stuff. It took FORRR-EVVV-ERRR !!! mostly because I didn't know what i was doing I was so stoked when I found out the straight line command. I also just messed with beziers until I found out how to make curves with them man that was frustrating ! All the stuff was learned by trial and error and almost gave up and did it all by hand I just couldn't understand why someone would want to draw in a program when it seemed so much easier and faster to do it on paper but now I want to do more work on PC.

I would love to see the link you have for the shapes.
the 69 charger in this forum is what i tried to emulate because it was so clean and well done.

city_ofthe_south
03-13-2007, 09:06 AM
yeah, wtf? i said i'd put the link in and then never did. so here ya go http://www.odellstudios.com/pics/outline.jpg ... it's not REAL big so you can see each shape but it gives you an idea of what goes into one drawing. you can prolly guess that places like on the hood where the lines appear very thick, you're looking at 3 or 4 lines that close together. I noticed that you saved the wheels for last ... every single person i've seen who is just starting does the same thing. don't be afraid of em. they may seem daunting but you can do it.
i've also noticed 3 distinct styles (maybe 4) of vector art, give or take. some people use a rotoscope style where the shapes are almost blobs that come together to form the larger drawing. From a distance they look very realistic for whatever reason. then there are some people who use gradient mesh and blends and blurs to pull photorealism from Illustrator and the like. i suppose it's for the challenge but i'm not really into that style much. the last group is i guess where i fall into .... using Illustrator mostly as a coloring tool. i dunno, hard to describe i guess. it's not photorealistic but it's also not like the first group where every detail of the source is included as some sort of shape. But there can be all sorts of styles in each of these too. anyway, point is, you can do your own thing and still make it work with vector art. you can say, i'm gonna do this and somehow figure it out. that could save you from getting stuck trying to do what other people do cause let me just tell ya, i just do my own thing with illustrator. there's no secret trick to it, it's just how i use the tool. how you use the tool might be different but i'll bet it works. that's the beauty of it, just because two people use the same software doesn't mean the final products are going to look anything alike, even if it's the same subject.
this has been toooo long so i'll shut up. good luck.

SteveMcqueenRules
03-13-2007, 02:05 PM
all the feedback I can get is great I appreciate your comments I think about drawing stuff in corel much the same way you approach it with shapes defining the different colors and textures essentially using it as coloring tool otherwise I see no use for me to use a program for something that I can draw by hand. Its the coloring that makes all the difference I couldn't believe the change from just a black and white line drawing to adding just the window gradient how much it made the car look like a actual car it just made it pop.
I am doing the wheels last since I didn't know where I wanted them how low the car would be and also what kind i wanted. I will probably end up doing the wheels the same way as the car(scanning a outline of a photo) and "painting" it in.

What i really need is to be able to make the paint look shiny. As is the drawing I did is suitable for what i initially drew this for which was to see how my car would look with different paint and wheels and stuff. but now I am stoked to take it to the next level and make it really pop.

city_ofthe_south
03-13-2007, 02:29 PM
i'm not sure if you were asking for this advise, but on shiney ... think of a morrior as the most shiney surface. should be easy cause i think that's true :) ... the point is that shiney describes what the surface reflects - a mirror reflects so much that you see exactly in the mirror what real life looks like. paint wants to be like a mirror but it just never makes it that far. However, it's pretty close when it's good. that means reflections are sharp and clear, but the color of the paint. using just gadients will never work. hard lines suggest shine/reflection. the least reflective surface might be a black piece of paper. all you will see is a gradient from grayish, where the brightest light is hitting it, to black where the least light is hitting it. so a mirror reflects every spec of light and color, and as you step down in shiney then you only get the brightest colors or the brightest light. you also lose clarity in the reflection (think of orange peal in paint). so flat black isn't shiney - on a car it might be semigloss even, but you got this effect on your car with a simple gradient and no hard lines. other paint looks shiney with the use of hard lines ... gradients really should only be used to show color shifts due to the paint reflecting ambient colors/light. a red metalic car may just be red but because of the clear coat and the metalic, it picks up bright light and reflects it all over the place.
these are just things to keep in mind when you try to achieve a certain look. for an indoor/3D look, notice giant blocks of white as if there are lights in the room and nothing else. what this does is show massive reflection but NOTHING else to clutter the paint up like concrete, or stripes on the road, trees over head etc. 3D art is like a photo of a car in a black room with white, perfectly placed lights - hard lines that bend with each curve make the paint look flawless and glassy ... almost wet.

ALLKAR
03-14-2007, 03:29 PM
That's Cool! I love the 64/65 Cutlass. I wish I had the talent AND patients to try drawing one like that. I've chopped on this one for a while. I might of gotten the original pic from a post of yours. (don't remember)
http://cfupload.stevesdomain.net/images/af235d0fc3.jpg

SteveMcqueenRules
03-14-2007, 11:56 PM
Ya that I love the car in those pics thats the same one I used to do my drawing.The car pictured is a 442 4-Speed how sweet is that! well all 442 in 64 had 4speeds but still freakin cool. I wonder who owns that car? I got it off the web somewhere. I like the car even more since its a post car like mine its the same color as mine same interior color as mine and its not in a hundred pieces like mine.
I also have photochopped that pic alot.
The wheels you did on that look quite good :thumbsup: I usually get frustrated and end up with some crappy hacked up wheels that look like a four year old cut em out of paper. thanks for the compliments.
Its good to see another Cutlass fan! If you want to see a certain color or something let me know it shouldnt be too hard to do.

ALLKAR
03-15-2007, 12:57 AM
Ya that I love the car in those pics thats the same one I used to do my drawing.The car pictured is a 442 4-Speed how sweet is that! well all 442 in 64 had 4speeds but still freakin cool. I wonder who owns that car? I got it off the web somewhere. I like the car even more since its a post car like mine its the same color as mine same interior color as mine and its not in a hundred pieces like mine.
I also have photochopped that pic alot.
The wheels you did on that look quite good :thumbsup: I usually get frustrated and end up with some crappy hacked up wheels that look like a four year old cut em out of paper. thanks for the compliments.
Its good to see another Cutlass fan! If you want to see a certain color or something let me know it shouldnt be too hard to do.

It's gotta be a post car!! I love the wht. paint. A real sleeper color w/stock interior. I'd do a twin 4 barrel throttle body EFI 572, 4-speed Auto w/Gear Venders OD, Quad Exhaust tips, Air Ride. A "Cutlass 884" :drool: