PDA

View Full Version : Best stuff to make a console out of?

Payton King
03-07-2007, 09:08 AM
Well I was not going to run a console, but now that I have had a problem with my e-brake and I need to build one. Is 3/4 MDF what everyone uses?

Can you use a router on the edges...will they hold up?

Thanks for your help

philofab
03-07-2007, 10:06 AM
3/4 MDF is strong enough for speaker boxes so it should be more than tough enough for a center console... the routered edges are a plus too. I usally glue and counter sink wood screws (drill a starter hole first so the MDF dosen't split) in MDF. I've never actually made a console out of wood though... I usally make them from aluminum or steel. Aluminum and steel take a lot of equipment to make compared to wood.

Tim Baillie
03-07-2007, 11:17 PM
I use ABS for all of our custom consoles and panels, it's light, easy to glue and shapes easily

Payton King
03-08-2007, 07:56 AM
Do you build a frame and cover it with it or do you make a buck and form it over and then remove?

How thick is it and where could I get some?

And pics of one in the raw? I would assume that I could make kick panels out of this stuff as well?

race-rodz
03-08-2007, 10:10 PM
floral foam, body filler, mold release, fiberglass

basic shape out of glued together foam, smooth it out with filler, lil mold release, lay it up with resin/glass, pull out the foam/filler "plug" when it cures, bodywork the rough console, paint or upolster.

Cread01
03-10-2007, 01:12 PM
I usually use 1/2 inch mdf 1/4 inch hardboard and fiberglass. use the mdf for framing hardboard for sides or large flat surfaces and fiberglass for all the curves. smooth everything out with some filler and cover or paint. if you want a stock look you can always paint it with texture spray and sem interior dye.

just how i do it.

Payton King
03-12-2007, 07:31 AM
I got distracted and have not started yet. I am in the process of mocking one up in cardboard. I will post a picture when it is mocked

prostreetamx
03-12-2007, 06:21 PM
With all the custom interior mods on my Hemi Javelin project, a custom console was my only option. I built the top frame with 1/2" electrical conduit, bent to fit my design. I welded in some square tubing cross pieces and covered the framework with perforated metal rivited to the frame. This allowed me to form a shape to clear the seats and fit snug to the tunnel. I covered the console mockup with fiberglass then a coat of body filler to smooth it all out. It is in primer for now, but I will probably upolster it when I am ready to install it.

71Nova
03-12-2007, 10:24 PM
Payton here are some pictures of how mine turned out. I am very happy with it, except for that it's imposible to reach the stereo with the harness on. Thank goodness for remote controls.

Payton King
03-13-2007, 08:16 AM
I love to see and hear other people's ideas. I thought about making the metal frame...then out of aluminum. I can't weld aluminum. Still going back and forth on either glass or wood.

I like the where the stereo/ gps sits.