PDA

View Full Version : A/T Help. Calling All Trans Techs

carkrazy1987
03-06-2007, 06:52 PM
Alrighty were to begin. i need help trying to figure out what is wrong with my transmission. i will start from the beginning since its probly all related. Now this is gonna be a long story.

The car is a 71 nova had a 400sb and a th350c, now has a 350sb.

Around christmas i noticed my trans was leaking. i pulled it into the shop, and found the front seal was leaking. (were the torque converter goes in). since i had to pull the trans out to fix that problem i desided i might as well rebuild the trans too since i dont know the history, ad it slipped a lil. so i yanked it and gave it to my trans tech at work. (i work at a chevy dealer) about 2 weeks later he give it back to me. i bought the b&m transkit pt#30229, and the transpak pt#30235. he intalled them per the instruction.

Here is were the fun begins.

I installed the trans back in my car, and let the car run for about a 1 1/2min to let the trans warm up, and the engine just stops in its tracks. i try to restart, and wont turn. i try and turn the engine by hand and its stuck. thinking maybe the trans got stuck, i undo the torque converter bolts, and try and turn the engine over. engine is locked up. pulled the engine and trans out, and tear the motor apart. i found the rear main bearing was starved and seazed. i had another motor i was building so i finished building it. install it into the car with the trans and start the car up.

The fun continues.

car warms up fine and all, then i go to put the trans in gear. transmission starts to howl in gear. trans tech says the torque converter is mess up, probably cause motor locked up. i ask if it was safe to drive to outside of the shop so i can park it he says it would be ok. i hop in and start to drive it outta the shop with it howling, and as i go the trans gives out, i start costing, and stop check the trans, it doesnt go forward anymore but will go in reverse. so i park it for now.

1 week later, i push the car into the shop and pull the trans out again. yank the converter its all ****ed up inside everything is loose. i give him the trans to crack it open and make sure nothing is broken, and clean all the metal out cause of the torque converter. he pulls the trans apart, and find the foward clutch housing is broken. i buy a new housing, and he rebuilds the trans.

i bought a new torque converter, since the other one was messed up. converter is from hughes, and is made for a th350c. i install the trans into the car and go threw the warm up and all, everything ok. i stay in the bay and shift it threw all gears, all gears grab, and all are quiet. cause i was so happy and exited, i deside to take the car out for a lil ride, no hard acceleration or anything. nice and slow climb from stop to about 30mph, the whole time staying below 2000rpm. trans shifts and feels like it shifted to 3rd, but not to worried at the moment, then i get to about 35mph, and i hear a little snapping sounded kinda like a u-joint, then the car start to coast again. i pull over and no forward, only reverse. so i call a co-worker and he pushes me back to the shop.

so i yank the trans out once again, and give it to the trans tech. he find the forward clutch housing is broken again. i buy another one he puts it in looks over the whole trany to try and figure out why its doing so he cant find anything. he calls some friends, and they deside since the only thing different front stock is the spacer plate that was in the shift kit. they say that could be the only thing causing problems. so he pulls the b&m spacer plate out and installs the factory plate it. this took about another week for him to deside what to do.

so i go to install the torque converter into the trans, and it doesnt want to go in. so i call over the trans tech, and he messes with it for a while, and then after maybe 15 min he takes it back to his bench. about an hour later i go there and hes got the torque converter to go in. i dont know what he did he just stay he got it to go in. so i install it back into my car once again. i put in about 5 quarts of atf, then start the car and start adding more. i look under my car and i see the atf coming out as fast as i pour it in. so the trans comes out again. i replaced the pump seal, and the torque converter seal. the i go to put the torque converter in and again it does not want to go in.

so now i stuck the trans into my car without the torque converter so that way my engine doesnt kill the mounts and i can push my car around.

now im about to send the trans out to another shop and pay some more money for them to fix it.

my question now is, is there anything i can look at or try to fix this problem, or have the trans shop look at when they go and rebuild it. imma have them put the spacer plate back on. any ideas on what could be destroying the forward clutch housing? and why my torque converter wont go in?

any ideas are extremely appreciated at this moment. im at the end of my rope with this trans

So thats my luck, and thats my story.

oh if anyone is wondering what is done to the engine. it is basicly a zz430. 430hp 430tq. now i dont think im putting that much power to it

thanks in advanced for any help or advise