PDA

View Full Version : MSD mounting??

awr68
02-25-2007, 05:02 PM
I'm trying to decide where to mount my MSD 6A ignition box. I don't want it in the engine bay, and under the dash is getting a bit tight with everything else, so I was looking at putting it behind the drivers kick panel. There seems to be plenty of room and it would get fresh air from the cowl...good or bad idea??

Any other ideas? Pics?

awr68
02-25-2007, 05:18 PM
After looking at the build pics of Aluminat8r on DSE's site I think I will mount it to the drivers side end of the DSE VA bracket. It appears to work well there and still have room for the HVAC ducting....boy things get tight under there when you want it all!! :)

71Nova
03-15-2007, 04:32 PM
Anthony I was faced with the same problem when I installed my MSD digital 6+. What I ended up doing was fibreglassing the cardboard glove box, and then mounted it to the bottom of it. It turned out very strong and stiff. It has been there for about 2 years or so with no problem.

ChevyThunder
03-15-2007, 10:48 PM
Anthony I was faced with the same problem when I installed my MSD digital 6+. What I ended up doing was fibreglassing the cardboard glove box, and then mounted it to the bottom of it. It turned out very strong and stiff. It has been there for about 2 years or so with no problem.

I mounted mine in the front passenger side fender well with the MSD mounting rubber bushing kit. But the fiberglassing of the glove is a great idea... my cd player is in there and the cardboard is starting to give up !

71Nova
03-15-2007, 11:09 PM
Cool, you should try it. I got the fibreglass and some 2 part epoxy at a local hobby store. I fibreglassed 3 layers around the entire outside of it. I also put a couple of small washers around the screw holes while the epoxy was drying, so now it has metal reinforced screw holes. The inside part that you see still looks like the stock cardboard.

Hammered
03-16-2007, 09:00 PM
The second to the last picture shows where I hid mine: http://john.my67.net/engine2.htm

This is looking up through the glove box hole, the latch is in the lower left of the frame.

awr68
03-20-2007, 07:32 PM
Good ideas guys! I ended up mounting it to the vintage Air bracket I got from DSE and it worked great!!