PDA

View Full Version : New clutch pics for II Much

parsonsj
04-12-2005, 06:49 PM
I thought you guys might enjoy a peek at my new clutch that arrived today.

I've been working with the guys at Quarter Master on a clutch for my project. They specialize in lightweight, yet strong driveline components. Given the car's weight (about 3000 lbs), hp level (hopefully my 427 LS2 will make in excess of 650 hp), QM came up with a brand new clutch.

It's a dual disc, 8.5" diameter setup. They sell lots of 5.5" or 7.25" clutches for racing use, so the 8.5 is a little different for them. It has organic material, and a sprung hub to make it less "binary". The flywheel is scalloped on the back to reduce weight. The whole setup weighs in at just under 30 lbs. Check out how the inner hub connects the two discs together. It's a much better design than having both discs spline onto the tranny input shaft (which can result in a twisted input shaft between the clutch plates).

jp

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jlparsons/clutch1.jpg
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jlparsons/clutch2.jpg

awr68
04-12-2005, 06:54 PM
I've been waiting for those pics...I remember us talking to the QM guys at SEMA last year...very nice looking parts and the right color too!! It's a shame you'll never see them!!!

Any update on the car?!?

Steve Chryssos
04-12-2005, 07:21 PM
Very nice quality. Glad to see that a hardcore manufacturer like QuarterMaster is paying attention to the street market. Boy, it looks tiny.

Yeah how about an update? And can you post a clear image of the "driveway" picture that was used in PHR?

XcYZ
04-12-2005, 07:38 PM
Looks like I'll be making a phone call. The clutch is one of my big concerns. The splines between the disks is trick.

Thanks for posting these pics, JP!

parsonsj
04-12-2005, 07:48 PM
Scott,

QM is still prototyping and testing the setup. One of my jobs this summer is to give them some feedback about how the clutch works and feels and see if they want to make that jump into the street market.

That being said, the big deal with mine was the flywheel (for a GenIII). For a more mainstream setup like your badass small block, they might be able to get you set up right now.

jp

Steve1968LS2
04-12-2005, 08:14 PM
Scott,

QM is still prototyping and testing the setup. One of my jobs this summer is to give them some feedback about how the clutch works and feels and see if they want to make that jump into the street market.

That being said, the big deal with mine was the flywheel (for a GenIII). For a more mainstream setup like your badass small block, they might be able to get you set up right now.

jp

Looks cool John.. I might be needing something like that soon :)

Yea, like steveo said.. i used a tiny pic of your car in the tech letters section. You car seemed to define "lowered" perfectly.. and you car was primered so it didn't matter that the pic was in B&W..

I will be giving you a call soon, just that between deadlines and my car shuffle I have been swamped..

Again, the project is coming out VERY nice.. :thumbsup:

almcbri
04-12-2005, 09:38 PM
thanks for the pics.

by the way great article in hot rodding. Great information.

Andrew