PDA

View Full Version : Boyd's Designers Challenge

Hdesign
02-17-2007, 07:57 PM
Just came across this while I was looking at wheels. Thought I'd spread the word if anyone's interested in submitting work. Looks like the details aren't available yet.

http://www.boydcoddington.com/Store/DesignContest.aspx

XcYZ
02-18-2007, 02:55 PM
Cool, should be interesting.

Where's the current info, Boyd? Your site needs to be updated.

Hdesign
02-18-2007, 07:19 PM
What's interesting to me is that he pretty much exclusively used one designer for quite a while and all of a sudden he's doing a talent search. I'd love to find out more info on this.

highboost
02-23-2008, 01:31 PM
What's interesting to me is that he pretty much exclusively used one designer for quite a while and all of a sudden he's doing a talent search. I'd love to find out more info on this.

A couple years ago I was attending college majoring in Machine Trades (Tool & Die). While I was there the Senior students were taking an advanced CNC class with HAAS machines, and along with Mastercam. Anyways I was a freshman and those older students were involved in this competition which was being judged by Boyd Coddington. The item being judged was a very small scale version of a wheel about 5" in diameter. The students had to design the wheel using mastercam, and then apply tool path geometry, verify the program, and lastly run the machine to create the final product. There was maybe 10 guys in the course, and three of them finished 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.

The course is a 2 year program with a 3rd year CNC option. I graduated after only 2 years cause I was offered a nice paying job. If it wasn't for the job offer I would still be there. Several of my friends stayed to do the 3rd year option ,and I have kept in touch with them. Right now they just finished designing and machining a steering wheel once again for Boyd Coddington.

Not sure if this is what the Boyd Coddington website was sponsoring or not, but anywho this is a good opportunity.

Kris Horton
02-23-2008, 03:48 PM
I was wondering why the contest is labeled 2007...and then realized that the original post was from one year ago lol.

Good ol' "necroposting" haha!

highboost
02-23-2008, 04:15 PM
Haha yeah well I'm pretty new to this site. I just registered a couple days ago. I was just checkin out some of the interesting threads and noticed that one, and thought hmmmm.... I didn't even notice that it was 2007 until you said something haha.. oh well...

Cody

Kris Horton
02-23-2008, 10:23 PM
No worries, it happens to everyone!

Welcome to the site!

DVierstra
02-25-2008, 02:34 AM
Just came across this while I was looking at wheels. Thought I'd spread the word if anyone's interested in submitting work. Looks like the details aren't available yet.

http://www.boydcoddington.com/Store/DesignContest.aspx

Ill have to stop by his shop and ask...what the...is up with your site Boyd? :lol:

His shop is behind one of my friends shop in Fullerton, CA.

http://s3images.coroflot.com/user_files/individual_files/featured/featured_71797_5LQxtRp_0bggdvoJr3IVdsWrk.jpg

mlomaka
02-25-2008, 06:29 AM
I fgound it about 8 months ago (I thought someone here had posted it.), but was waiting for an update. It has been a little while now. I think he needs to do a designers challenge 2008.