PDA

View Full Version : deck lid gapping

Lenie
02-07-2007, 08:30 AM
Hi guys, my deck lid gaps are to wide, is the best way to fix to weld build up on the edges of the deck lid and grind proper gaps? Appreciate any advice from those of you who have been through this.:hail:
Thanks

comp-spec
02-09-2007, 07:07 PM
pics?

68sixspeed
02-09-2007, 07:17 PM
Just a guess- aftermarket trunk lid? I've seen a few rebuilt camaros in the last year (including the '69 I'm working on) with wide gaps. The guy who painted my 68 did one and yes, built up the edges with weld, ground, weld, etc on both the left and right, then recentered the trunk. I'm going to try a spare original trunk I have to see for sure if it is the aftermarket lid, but my guess is that it is... the '69 I'm working on has new quarters, but still the original tail pan and piece below the rear window. The aftermarket lid looks at least 3/16" narrow. How about yours?

Autokraft
02-09-2007, 08:14 PM
I can tell you for a fact that GM gaps were far from perfect as well. I've seen aftermarket decklids fit much better than GM lids as far as gaps are concerned. Don't be afraid to weld the edges but use caution as too much welding in succession will result in warping. If you can weld with a Tig you'll be much better off.

Kurt

www.autokraft.org

Lenie
02-09-2007, 08:27 PM
Thanks for your replies,yes it is about 3/16" aside. I thought it was the orig. deck lid, but I could be wrong. The car has new quarters and tail piece. I'll use a tig, thanks for the help.

68sixspeed
02-09-2007, 08:53 PM
I'd be curious to hear from anyone who has gotten one of the new us made trunk lids I've started to see in the catalogs?-- I think it was close to $500, but if they fit it would be worth it; I agree, GM's fits were not the greatest, but I look at my 68 which still has the original on it, and it's gaps are decent.

youthpastor
02-09-2007, 11:37 PM
Hey Lenie how 'bout some build pics- this car looks awesome from the screen shot!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Chris

Lenie
02-10-2007, 12:18 AM
Hi Chris, Already under project updates titled 1968 firebird.
Thanks Lenie

ProdigyCustoms
02-10-2007, 04:36 AM
Lenie, it is always better from a warpage and potential damage standpoint to build a compound edge like the 90 degree quater panel to trunk jam edge, then the thin highly warpable edge of the deck lid. A bead of tig or mig alog the quarter jam area is not going to do a bunch of damage. And it if does you are fixing a area 5 inches wide. If you warp the edge of the deck lid, which you will, you have now got 48 inches to straighten and make flow.

Now here is where the problem comes in though. If you do the quarter jam, you need to be sure left and right jam throths are even size when your finished. Just recently I saw a car and it was obvious the left troth was 1.25 wide and the right 1.5 or somethng like that.

Also, the same theroy would apply to quarter to door gaps also. Do it everyday.

Autokraft
02-10-2007, 08:46 AM
I'd be curious to hear from anyone who has gotten one of the new us made trunk lids I've started to see in the catalogs?-- I think it was close to $500, but if they fit it would be worth it; I agree, GM's fits were not the greatest, but I look at my 68 which still has the original on it, and it's gaps are decent.

We have bought one of those. Jim at Heartbeat City spearheaded the new decklids. I can't say they are perfect but they are for sure heavier gauge metal than the goodmark ones and it too needed some work to get it too fit. One thing we had to do was tig the outer skin to the inner structure in spots to keep it from twisting. The goodmark ones are the same way.

Kurt

www.autokraft.org

68sixspeed
02-10-2007, 09:42 AM
Kurt- thanks- were the gaps any better than the goodmark? it would be well worth the extra cost if the gaps started out right or close to right. -Dan

Lenie
02-10-2007, 10:18 AM
Thanks Frank, I'll use your advice. I'll let you know how it goes.

Lenie
02-10-2007, 10:20 AM
Chris, it's under 68 firebird 400, sorry for the mistake

Autokraft
02-10-2007, 07:48 PM
Kurt- thanks- were the gaps any better than the goodmark? it would be well worth the extra cost if the gaps started out right or close to right. -Dan

The gaps were indeed better but the problem I had was the crown was not consistant with the rear body panel. Nothing some tweaking couldn't fix.

bigtyme1
03-03-2007, 09:07 PM
Lenie, it is always better from a warpage and potential damage standpoint to build a compound edge like the 90 degree quater panel to trunk jam edge, then the thin highly warpable edge of the deck lid. A bead of tig or mig alog the quarter jam area is not going to do a bunch of damage. And it if does you are fixing a area 5 inches wide. If you warp the edge of the deck lid, which you will, you have now got 48 inches to straighten and make flow.

Now here is where the problem comes in though. If you do the quarter jam, you need to be sure left and right jam throths are even size when your finished. Just recently I saw a car and it was obvious the left troth was 1.25 wide and the right 1.5 or somethng like that.

Also, the same theroy would apply to quarter to door gaps also. Do it everyday.
Franks, can you explain a little more or send some picks, I should be fitting my deck lid next week. Almost done the 1/4 panels now.