PDA

View Full Version : restoration tips?

melman109
02-05-2007, 08:30 AM
Hey guys I'm in the process of building my first muscle car, a 1968 Camaro SS. I was wondering how should I go about doing this? I was told by one person to get the paint and body work done first then work on everything else last. Then I was told by another person to put the car together first, drive it, then take it apart and paint it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!

ProdigyCustoms
02-05-2007, 08:39 AM
Get it sorted mechanically, take it apart and paint it. Do not do it all at once.

novanutcase
02-05-2007, 10:04 AM
Build it first! Paint should be one of the last things you do! It'd be a shame to scratch your brand new paint job while pulling your engine!

waynieZ
02-05-2007, 05:41 PM
My car is having all new sheet metal done, the sub frame will be restored at same time and placed back on car with elded in frame connectors. It will come back as a roller. do you think it is a waste to have the jambs done before I install the motor and trans?

comp-spec
02-05-2007, 09:59 PM
U can have the firewall done but we do the jams with the body

Datsbad
02-05-2007, 10:06 PM
we usually do the underside and firewall , get it rolling and do the body last

waynieZ
02-06-2007, 02:13 PM
Thank you Wayne

deuce_454
02-07-2007, 03:56 AM
first you need to decide how you want the car... and stick to the plan! changing dirrection in the middle fo a build is very expensive, not to mention dumb.. and be realistic.. for eksample you dont need 14 inch AP racing brakes and 1200 turbo horsepower if you cant finish the car.. sure it looks nice on paper, but its nicer to have a finished 550Hp car than a lot of expensive parts.. (im sure your wife will agree as well)

i actually think that talking to some of the artists on this board, and have them do a rendering is smart money spent well..

secondly my best advice is to do it right the first time.. otherwise you will have the same money issuse as breaking rule #1.. and right might not be buying the coolest parts on the internet.. but getting to the bottom of everything.. i mean you will hate having a high horsepower car if the doorhinges are worn and the door dont close with the right sound... or you signal flashers come on when you hit a bump..

thats my 2 cents worth

waynieZ
02-10-2007, 01:38 PM
Thanks All help is appreciated Wayne