PDA

View Full Version : PhaseShift's 69 Camaro

XcYZ
04-07-2005, 11:38 PM
Guys, check out our newest member's 69 Camaro. It's an incredible machine, something that I want my next project to be like.

Welcome Phil, I look forward to having you participate here on Lateral-g. :thumbsup:

Check out the videos of the car on Phil's website: http://www.rscamaro.com (http://www.rscamaro.com/)

http://www.lateral-g.net/temp/phaseshiftcamaro.jpg

907rs
04-07-2005, 11:41 PM
Just one word; AWESOME!!! :thumbsup:

PhaseShift
04-08-2005, 12:36 AM
Thanks for the introduction and welcome message there. Looks like a good place to trade ideas, learn a lot and make some new friends.

Also, thank you for the very positive comments on the car. Seems to have come out OK and when complete, should be a little more presentable than now.

PhaseShift

I have hopefully loaded a couple of recent pics. The darn windshield trim blew off on the first fast drive and you can see that looks pretty cobby.

Sandro's 1969 502 Camaro
04-08-2005, 01:01 AM
one word, unbelievable

What are you running for drivetrian. The sound of you going through your gears make me wish my car was stick.

jonny51
04-08-2005, 02:27 AM
Welcome Phil,that machine is all business :thumbsup:

69MyWay
04-08-2005, 04:07 AM
Wow, that is wicked cool. What are the specs on this machine?

PhaseShift
04-08-2005, 04:09 AM
The drive train is about like the engine- Basic.

It has a Muncie 4 speed transmission tied to the Jag rear. The rear gears are tall- 2.88:1 (or something close to that). The rear wheel / tire setup is a 17X10 wheel with a 285/40-17 tire. Actually the tires are so old and hard now that they are more or less rim protectors.

The motor is a basic 383 done at Challenger in Arizona. It was freshened up by Tom Bruhn before going into this car. Looked good and the build sheet says it will do about 500 HP with a tad less torque. Never been on the dyno; it feels OK, but I can not verify the power. The motor meets the trans through a Quartermaster 7.25" button clutch. It is a multi disc rig, like on a motorcycle. It is grabby, but I like it and for shifting, it is great.

From delivery to the present day, the only "tuning" on the motor was to set the floats, check the timing and tighten the gear shifter handle. There was simply no time to mess with any of that stuff.

69MyWay
04-08-2005, 04:54 AM
Very cool.

When you say "there was no time to mess with any of that stuff...."

Were you, or are you building on a specific deadline for an event of some kind?

I would guess from what you are saying the only "stock" thing on the car is the outter sheet metal????

That engine sounds VERY wicked banging through the gears.

jyeager
04-08-2005, 07:52 AM
Very cool.

When you say "there was no time to mess with any of that stuff...."

Were you, or are you building on a specific deadline for an event of some kind?

I would guess from what you are saying the only "stock" thing on the car is the outter sheet metal????

That engine sounds VERY wicked banging through the gears.

I'll answer this: Phil is living and working in China and has been since just after the car was originally conceived and started. He's had to supervise the project from across the world.
This year he had a week home during the Christmas holiday. The car was delivered here just before he arrived and we tried to rush to get it road worthy before he got here.

As for 'stock' really there's not much metal that's stock either. Unless you call reproduction panels 'stock'. However it's important to note that the lightening process was so aggressive that most internal steel bracing has been removed, and new floorpans and firewall have been fabricated out of aluminum.

Oh, by way of introduction...I'm Jeff. I'm a friend of Phil's and happen to live in his home town (where the car is being stored). I've been lucky enough to have been able to follow the progress of the project since the inception. Phil also is generous enough to let me have the keys to the garage its stored in :)

XcYZ
04-08-2005, 07:55 AM
Welcome, Jeff. We're glad to have you on board, too. :thumbsup:

T Bell
04-08-2005, 08:10 AM
jyeager is so lucky. Did you notice the camera man jerky everytime he snatched those gears? Welcome both.

PhaseShift
04-08-2005, 08:58 AM
Actually, my wife Nancy was the camera person there. She is a delight and I could not live without her; this is not to put here down, but we have a lot of footage of fence posts, weeds and trees. I do not think you can hear it in the videos, but my only speaking part on the uncut version, is the phrase "qian mian" (chan - men) which in this case means "straight ahead" in reference to the direction the camera is supposed to point. ;) She did a great job actually- lucky for me she does not read forums like this or she might go gong-fu on me and black my eye. All part of life's rich pageant.

Phase

Steve1968LS2
04-08-2005, 09:18 AM
Nice car.. :thumbsup:

Actually VERY nice car :)

Ok, I have to ask.. your in China but where is the car? Also, has it been in any magazines?

Again, very cool car and I am digging the full race frame.. that must be one stiff mofo..

PhaseShift
04-08-2005, 09:47 AM
Yep, The car is in Tennessee at my parents home. They have a nice, safe place for it. No plans to bring somethign like that over here. China is getting better, but not quite ready for that yet.

Phase

jyeager
04-08-2005, 10:24 AM
Nice car.. :thumbsup:

Actually VERY nice car :)

Ok, I have to ask.. your in China but where is the car? Also, has it been in any magazines?

Again, very cool car and I am digging the full race frame.. that must be one stiff mofo..

Stiff mofo doesn't really capture it. with the reasonably tight suspension (with only 4" total shock travel) it needs to be experienced. The front sway bar it was delivered with was too weak and has been replaced with one about 80% stiffer. I haven't taken it out yet to evaluate the front roll stiffness, but I suppose with nice weather upon us here that perhaps I should. Phil would want to know if I continued my string of good luck when picking suspension parts. (I was fairly successful in picking springs I think).

I've also adjusted the front ride height since then making for a better looking stance not to mention decreasing the odds of snowplowing that nice chin spoiler.
Also, new window molding has been ordered so we're only a week or two away from being able to take new glamor shots with sunshine and green grass all around.

Oh, and no it hasn't been in any magazines yet. Scott Parkhurst...you interested? ;)

jyeager
04-08-2005, 10:29 AM
Phil has plans to fabricate a camera mount that will clamp to the cage somewhere inside the car. This will allow the steady filming of high speed runs without the passenger seat being soiled!

So there's that soon you can see some more and better video exploits.

camcojb
04-08-2005, 10:39 AM
Looks great Phil, and like a LOT of fun! :thumbsup:

Jody

jonny51
04-08-2005, 10:53 AM
Welcome aboard Jeff!So you have the keys huh? :D

jyeager
04-08-2005, 11:16 AM
Welcome aboard Jeff!So you have the keys huh? :D

Yes I do! But I'm also a gentleman and I won't use Phil's girl without his permission. No unannounced joy rides here!
But seriously though, I'm Phil's hands here on this side of the earth. I've got his exhaust system in my garage right now. Any day now I'm going to go put it back on.
Perhaps I'll evaluate that new front sway bar and report back here about the experience.

<fingers crossed> do not wreck...do not wreck...do not wreck...watch out for that bird! do not wreck...</fingers crossed>

It won't be as much fun as you guys think!

JamesD
04-08-2005, 12:00 PM
very cool car

rockdogz
04-08-2005, 04:53 PM
Very nice! :thumbsup:

In case you didn't see the post on pro-touring, here's a link to lots of cool build pics:

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/783882/1

Phil Harmonic, hm? Who are you hiding from? :unibrow:

Musclerodz
04-08-2005, 05:39 PM
Very awesome Camaro. I have had a thought of a full tilt race car wrapped in repro body panels for a little while now. All this does is get the wheels gringing some more!!!

Mike

RussMS
04-08-2005, 05:45 PM
:hail:

Wow!

Jims78elky
04-09-2005, 04:22 AM
Glad you made it over phil! You already know how i feel about your 69! :hail:

69rs
04-09-2005, 09:45 PM
AWESOME!! :thumbsup:

coolclassiccars
04-10-2005, 07:18 AM
that thing sits very good,stance is awesome, :eek:

61Bubbletop
04-10-2005, 09:55 AM
That thing is unreal! :hail: ...Welcome to the site :thumbsup:

rwhite692
04-12-2005, 12:35 AM
Man, That thing has more neat tricks than Dennis Koslowski's tax man.

Ricochet
04-12-2005, 02:34 PM
Awesome car!! Welcome aboard!!

Petrolhead
04-27-2005, 01:08 PM
Looks like a gt racer!!
Very cool car and and looks like very stable and good whit good handling for corner attack's
Looks like a dream to drive it.

:thumbsup: :)