PDA

View Full Version : What master are you using with the Z06 brakes

Judgement
01-25-2007, 11:52 PM
I am in the process of installing the C6 Z06 brakes and would like to know what master to run. Can I use my original power disc brake master and power booster or do I need to go with something totally different. Any help would be great.

Bowtieracing
01-26-2007, 04:52 AM
Should you use C6/Z06 master cylinder too ?

Judgement
01-26-2007, 09:20 AM
I do not know, can I use that in conjunction with my stock power booster or do i have to go with something else?

98ssnova
01-28-2007, 03:13 PM
Not to steal your thread but has anybody run the hydraboost system with these brakes??

fesler
01-29-2007, 07:29 PM
we do a lot of the hydro boost set ups with these, everyone has mixed feelings about this but I find that they work well with the 6 piston and stop very well. I think they work better then most systems as long as your cam is not too big. I hope that helps you guys

Bowtieracing
01-30-2007, 12:28 AM
we do a lot of the hydro boost set ups with these, everyone has mixed feelings about this but I find that they work well with the 6 piston and stop very well. I think they work better then most systems as long as your cam is not too big. I hope that helps you guys

thank you Fesler again for a good point. I have been thinking big brakes ( C6-Z069 for my project and would prefer hydro boost because i think they need more pressure due the bigger size. Am right or wrong here ?

fesler
01-30-2007, 08:24 AM
thank you Fesler again for a good point. I have been thinking big brakes ( C6-Z069 for my project and would prefer hydro boost because i think they need more pressure due the bigger size. Am right or wrong here ?

Yes they need more pressure but the engne can not have too big a cam or they will be worse then what you have stock. If you do the right Master Cylindar with booster they will work fine but you have to find the right one for your car. Baer sells a Master cylindar that is suppose to work well with the larger brakes. The Hydro Boost is the way to go in most cases

Leadfoot1
01-30-2007, 10:03 PM
I'm working this out myself just now...

I'm waiting on a GM tech to give me the specs of the C6-Z's master for comparison to what the market is offering. I Love the new Wilwood tandem but they offer 7/8" 1" and 1.125" and i cant make up my mind!

If i was to run the stock style set up (7-8-9" booster and mc) i probably could use a 7/8 but with HB i've bee told 1.125"

I just don't know and don't want to do this twice. I found a nice site that takes you theu the procedure to find the right size MC but its a hard and long list of calculations in and out of the car...

...'Guess i should stop typing and get in there...

:rolleyes: Lead.

Hey, correct me if i'm wrong here but, if you get a HB unit it doesn't matter the size of the cam, as its running off the power steering pump system. Thats what makes HB interesting, no? (Paul, Hydratech?)

Hydratech®
01-31-2007, 06:20 PM
Hey, correct me if i'm wrong here but, if you get a HB unit it doesn't matter the size of the cam, as its running off the power steering pump system. Thats what makes HB interesting, no?

That is absolutely correct! :cheers:

My thoughts on the MC sizing:

Manual usage = reach for the 7/8"

Vac booster = reach for the 15/16" - 1"

HB = reach for the 1" - 1 1/8" (1 1/8" recommended)

:lateral:

Bowtieracing
02-01-2007, 07:31 AM
I'm working this out myself just now...

I'm waiting on a GM tech to give me the specs of the C6-Z's master for comparison to what the market is offering. I Love the new Wilwood tandem but they offer 7/8" 1" and 1.125" and i cant make up my mind!

But what about useing stock C6/Z06 MC ? Its not so bad looking? And maybe Hydratech could make it work with hydrobooster. I think that will be my choise in futere. I too like the look of Wilwood but hate the guess work of sizes and cylinder volumes.

68protouring454
02-01-2007, 08:04 AM
i went with the stock c5/c6 z-51 master, which until you get to the c6 z06 the calipers are the same between the c5/c6, paul said it was the best bet!!!

Leadfoot1
02-01-2007, 08:49 AM
Yeah,

but i've read that some have used C6-Z packages with some HB units and that the difference was major. It would seem the C6 system may not even have enough pressure for what it is... Then again, i have a hard time believing this, GM would spend Millions to get the unproper system in its Supercar??? I don't think so.

It would be simple as hell to just use the complete systemas it was designed to worl altogether, but do you have to take into account pedal ratio still? or do you just get it to fit and call it done?

I'm sharing the opinion that the Z06 set up is still a good looking unit(did not even see it but must look like any recent model) but in my car which is mostly custom, i'd prefer having something like the Wilwood unit, it looks much more HP oriented and lets face it, when you pop the hood people see it right away and if the didn't notice the Calipers...It will take them there in a heart beat!

I just think i have to take some decisions now (and they are always $ related :mad: ) and i might just save up a bit then and step up to a HB unit and the wilwood piece of art.

One question for Paul tough, what metering block will i have to run with your unit? Does it come/ or something of the like, with the HB unit?

I like this thread, thanks for your input guy's.

Here is the thread i found very interesting...It has the formula to find the right MC;

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/PedalSetup-DualMaster-Guide.pdf

Lead

deuce_454
02-01-2007, 01:07 PM
if you are running a hydraboost, go as big as possible in MC size to get as little pedal travel as possible, the hydraboost will be spec'ed to what ever you decide to run..

Judgement
02-02-2007, 08:03 AM
Thanks guys for your input. I was told that a C3 1 1/8 master would work just fine. There was a Vette made with the larger four piston calipers so the reservoir is pretty large and the bore size is about right fir the C6 Z06 brakes.

Bowtieracing
02-07-2007, 02:44 AM
Thanks guys for your input. I was told that a C3 1 1/8 master would work just fine. There was a Vette made with the larger four piston calipers so the reservoir is pretty large and the bore size is about right fir the C6 Z06 brakes.

That must be good,only downside i know its cast iron.