PDA

View Full Version : metal thickness for floor

Travis77
01-25-2007, 09:31 AM
In the process of cutting out everything to install new floor, seat platform, rear trunk, and also wheel tubs.
What thickness sheetmetal would you guys use for doing each. I want everything to be solid of course, but do not want the car handling like a tank.
If I were planning to use 18ga. on the tubs instead of thinner galvanized sheetmetal, would that be okay. I tend to overkill on everything:rolleyes: .
Just trying to get a plan together. Thanks

Just realized, I probably should have posted this in the body, interior subtitle.

http://www.dropshots.com/photos/130137/20070125/074516.jpg

Ricochet
01-25-2007, 09:53 AM
Much like yourself Travis - I tend to go a little overkill. I used 16 ga for my floors. I to was concerned with strength, but also interior noise. The factory floors are thinner (18 or 20 ga)- but as you know, with all the bends, beadrolls and supports they are able to form, is extremely strong. With that said - if you have a bead roller, which I'm sure you do, 18 gauge would probably be sufficient.

Brent

Travis77
01-27-2007, 04:42 AM
I've got some 18 guage metal. I should probably get it rolled for extra strength. Have any good pics of your floor? Thanks