PDA

View Full Version : Got a battery question

tones2SS
01-18-2007, 10:35 AM
Hi guys/gals. I tried doing a search, but did not come up with the answers I was looking for.
I hope someone will be able to help me out with this. I have a '99 Camaro SS and I would like to replace the stock battery, because I have to charge it up a lot. I rarely drive the car. Now, how would I go about doing this? If someone could walk me through the steps one by one, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!!:) :thumbsup: :cheers:

tones2SS
01-18-2007, 07:30 PM
I'm not trying to be a wise guy here.
I just want to make sure I do not mess anything up.
Does it matter which terminal I unhook first, the negative or postive? Will this affect my pcm in any way by swapping out my battery?
Please help guys!!!:willy:
THANK YOU!!!:cheers:

71Nova
01-21-2007, 09:04 PM
For Real?
Ok, Its a good idea to disconect the negative first and then the positive. Then just unbolt, swap batteries, bolt new battery in, connect your positive and then your negative.

novanutcase
01-21-2007, 10:08 PM
You may want to find out of the ECU has a backup battery but I can't imagine it NOT having some sort of backup system like that!

XcYZ
01-21-2007, 10:25 PM
If you car sits for long periods of time, I'd highly recommend a battery tender. It's $30 well spent.

camcojb
01-21-2007, 10:52 PM
negative first as that kills the positive. The computer will retain it's tune, but will lose all the short/long term trims, etc., so it will re-learn the tune as you drive it again. Totally normal and you'll likely never even notice anything.

Do not disconnect right before a smog, or if you do drive at least 75-100 miles with varied driving parameters or more so the computer re-learns and resets codes.

Jody

tones2SS
01-25-2007, 05:45 PM
Thanks guys.
Newbie here in that dept. I was worried about messing up the pcm/driveability of the car if not done correctly. Again, THANK YOU!!!!:thumbsup: :cheers: